Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn - 1 Month, October/November '05

well i guess with sleeping arrangement we have been pretty lucky. emma was in the bassinet in our room for 3 nights when we came home, and has been in her cot at night ever since. she pretty much goes straight down after a feed and puts herself to sleep.

nikki - i have been wondering how you are cause you havent posted for a couple of days.

dee - i never got the line, so i dont know, i guess it would take a while?

i met up with an old workmate of mine this morning. she has a 4 1/2 month old girl. it was fun, and 18 months ago we would never have thought we would be having a mothers meeting together now!! we are going to meet every monday and try and start a mothers group.

went for a swim today, for the first time since emma was born - it was so nice!!

Ooh Linda - do you have a pool? A swim would be so nice. It's quite warm here today and we don't have air conditioning - grrr. I've just had to put Louis down in his singlet and nappy in the lounge room with the fan on. It's about 26 in the house at the moment. Not nice and it's only going to get warmer here over the next couple of days. I'm not sure what to do if it gets too hot. Maybe a cool bath for the both of us. It's a bit hard to judge how hot/cold they are though as you only know how you feel.

That sounds great meeting up with someone regularly. It is so helpful to talk to people who are going through the same thing! I've got a local mothers group starting in a few weeks so I'm quite excited to meet everyone.

Nikki - I agree. I don't know what I would do without this site! It's been great the whole way through TTC to now!

Melissa - Wow on your christening. What a big thing to organise. It will be great though.

We've been out shopping today. I bought one of those Lamaze mirror things to see if Louis wants to have a look at himself for tummy time. We'll see how it goes.

Kazzy Guest

Hi Everyone,
    Ah Sleep, the one thing that we crave when we have newborns. I remember with my first, I used to rock him to sleep every night, sometimes just wheeling the pram up and down the hall!!!! Swore that I wouldn't do it this time and so far, so good. But hey, it is only early days so I am not looking too far ahead. Because Eden was slightly jaundice, they say that she will be a bit sleepier, and as she starts to loose the jaundice, she will be a little more wakeful - so I am looking forward to that because it means she is getting better. As for sleeping advice - in the early days, do what you need to do to get some rest. In my job, i help parents who may have children who don't sleep in their own beds until they are in primary school, it is never too late to correct a sleeping issue - so get the rest while you can anyway you can. It doesn't mean you are setting yourselves up for a hard time later - I mentioned earlier in the forum about a book and video called 'sleep right, sleep tight', it has great tips for sleep settling right from the time a child is a newborn.

I find that everytime Eden is unsettled, I am think 'oh no, it's colic' she is just over two weeks now although today is her due day, but I am also thankful that she is healthy. Having a newborn again is certainly feeling like I have never done it before. Time goes so quick and I think that our brains switch off that part of our memory once the kids get to a couple of months old.

For those who do have resltess babes - another good website is the 'distressed infant support association' the website is www.disa.com.au. Has some useful info about colic, reflux, settling and coping techniques.

Well I am also thankful for all of you 'gals' on the forum - even though it is second time around for me, it is still an experience that at times can be overwhelming.

Heres to getting through any rough patches and getting enough rest just to get through the next day.

Hugs to you all

Kazzy

Hi girls check out the co-sleeping and sleep issues section of gentle parenting, there may be some good ideas there too! Also most babies hate laying flat at first, they don't do it in the womb! Our midwives had a few suggestions, like if going into the cot, prop one side up with a rolled up blanket. That way there is an incline. As most babies stomachs take a few weeks to develop and things like wind and reflux really get irritated when babies lay flat giving them an incline helps. I co-slept with Matilda for the same reason as you girls with lack of sleep because she would scream if flat and wouldn't stop, so we co-slept for the first 10 weeks. HTH!

Christy - Benjamin doesn't like being laid flat on his back either. He prefers to be on his side, but he can turn himself over very easily, so unless I'm there with him, I don't put him on his side.

Has anyone else noticed how much washing you do now, compared to before we had our children? I do at least one full load a day, where as before I did one full load every couple of days.

Kazzy - Benjamin was a little jaundice too. We used to have trouble waking him up when he needed a feed in the first 2 weeks. The hospital told us we needed to feed him every 3 hours and put him near filtered sunlight to try to get rid of the jaundice quicker.

I've got to go shopping at some stage to get some of the Christmas shopping out of the way. I want to get those Christmas lights that play music and flash in time with it.

Melissa

Hey girls, check out the Birth Announcements - Deancey gave birth to her little boy yesterday!! Looks like you all managed to stay together and have your bubs in October!! =D>

well we had our first really bad night last night. Emma was very distressed for 3 hours non stop. it is just so hard when you have tried everything and nothing seems to help. i really hated seeing her so distressed. in the end she nodded off and is completely back to normal, so i still have no idea what it was. we did have 2 outing in the day, and i am wondering if she was just sick of all the different people in her face (and they were - it annoys me so much when people just wont leave her alone :mad: ).

melissa - i cant believe the amount of washing either!!! for a little bundle they sure do go through a lot of washing!!

kazzy - thanks for the web link, i have already saved it in my faves and will check it out later.

kristie - yep, was just in the backyard pool - it is up to 25 degrees already! i took emma in the bath on a really hot day last week, and it was a pretty cool bath and it really helped her relax. i agree it is hard to judge how hot or cold to have it. the M/W told me just to run it how i would like it and that should be OK. i ended up feeding emma in the bath and it was really relaxing (I just put a washer under her bum *just in case* LOL)

Gotta go and write some more of the Thank you Cards - the list seems never ending!!

Yay - congrats Deancy!!! will go check it out now....

Hi!

Just a quick one from me as I'm about to go for a walk! (If I don't go now it won't happen - he he)

Linda - we had a bad night too last night. I'm not sure if it's because it was so hot in the house. I ended up getting dh to get up to him at about 4am and he spent an hour with him and he was just crying and miserable. I think we'll got and look into air conditioners tomorrow. It's not even that hot here yet so who knows how we'll go tonight! I'm so hopeless if he looks like he's in pain/distressed as well, that's usually when I get dh to take over. I'm such a sook.

I agree with people in their faces. I understand everyone wants to see a new baby but you can look without being painful!

I think I'll have a cool bath with Louis tonight before bedtime and see how we go. I also just put him to bed in his singlet and nappy and wrapped him in one layer of muslin. I'd love to not wrap him at all but he gets startled so easily.

Melissa - I'm definitely not a water saver at the moment - hehe. We're using disposable nappies and yet I have nearly a load every day of cloth. Louis has got in the habit of pooing just as you take the nappy off nearly every time so we may as well be using cloth!

Kazzy - Louis had jaundice too a little.

chantelle has been really unsetteld the last 2 days aswell but we have had a heap of visitors over the weekend.today is cup day in melb and the weather is glorious.we are about to walk down to the pub for lunch and a few bets,we dont bet during the year so we have our fingers crossed for a win.my scar is still nasty and am on antis still and drs every 3 days for new dressings.
    i cant beleive tracey had her bubs while it was still oct.gosh we are clever girls to all have had them on our due month
    its great that we are all in here together now,i felt a bit lost there for a couple of days.
    going now catch you tonight
    nikki

Hi everyone.

Hooray, we've all had our bubbies!!!!

Only on today to catch up with things. Very tired. Tristan's not settling very well at night time.

Kazzy - I never thought about the jaundice thing. Tristan was slightly jaundice as well, hence being awake a bit more now - he doesn't look so yellow. We keep his bassinette by the window so he gets a bit of light during the day. It's like caring for house plants!!!

Christy - I might try putting him on an incline and see if that helps. Hope it works. No wonder he sleeps better in the rocker.

Better go. Wake up call (again)!!!!!

Hugs.......Bonnie

Hi Girls

Maria is unsettled as well, but during the day. Last night she slept from midnight till 5.30am, she could have slept longer but DH was sure she was awake and hungry thus picked her up :-s [-X Today she just cat naps for maximium of 30 mins at a time and otherwise is wingy or hungry. She is playing a bit more today.

We have put her cot up on bricks at one end as well - it has worked really well. As for sleep depreviation I have been naughty (maybe) and have been attaching Maria to the breast and lying down with her at night, she goes to sleep, I go to sleep and we are all happy. I am gping to go to a sleep and settling course because I don't think I should be doing this

maria,i have been doing that also,dont despair as i also did this with my last and it did not cause any probs later with settling or lseeping patterns,have you considered a bottle before bed as a feed as it helps baby to sleep longer as they get more than enough and you also know how much she is having,alot of mums do this as baby sleeps well and loger.i will prob start this when chantelle is about 3 months old.
    as for our cup day bets we lost,we spent just over $200 and had makybe diva in every pick but chose the wrong horses for second and third,oh well we had fun doing it
    we have another hot day tomorrow and i had to go through all her clothes to find anything that was cool in 0000 size,alas i did find a little romper so she should be cool in that.i cant beleive my other baby will be turning 7 on friday,i swear it goes so damn fast it feels like yesterday i had him,enjoy them while they are young girls because you blink and they are all grown up.the kids went trick or treating last night,a mummy and a witch,they looked great and got lots of lollies and even money!!!!!!!
    anyway chickies i wish you all good sleep vibes tonight
    love nikki

Kazzy Guest

Hi Everyone,
    Yay to us all having our bubbies on Oct - cutting it close.
    I had a bet on the cup today for the first time - $100 for Makybe Diva to win - Yay - Mum and I put $50 in each so we can split the winnings. Eden was fussy for one of her feeds this afternoon - refused the breast - had me a bit worried. I put her down and in about half an hour she did the biggest pooh - so she must have just been chockers. I am going to the health clinic tomorrow to have her jaundice checked just to make sure it isn't getting any worse. I don' t think that it is but better just to check. Thanks for the advice about the filtered light - I will have to leave the blinds open a bit more tomorrow. At the moment Eden is sleeping three hourly during the day and 4 to five hourly at night - her last sleep being about 6 hours. I think this is because of the jaundice making her mroe sleepy. She was very alert this afternoon so I was really pleased. We went for our first small shopping outing and she was fab in the car and the pram. I feel really lucky so far - Eden doesn't seem to mind sleeping on her back although after her night feeds, she is so noisy - grunting like she is constipated. She settles herself after a while though. I tried raising her bassinet last night just to see if that helped with the 'flow' of things and she actually used the gravity in her favour to unwrap herself - so little but so strong.

My scar is a little swollen - anyone elses. The Doc isn't sure if it is infected or strained or just bruised so I have to go back to doing nothing for a few days.

Does anyone elses bubby make grunting noises when they are pooing - my son was never so noisy!!!!!!

Lovely cool evening in Geelong now - hot today though, thatnk god for air conditioning.

What is the tally of boys and girls born in Oct???????
    Hope that you all have amore settled night tonight and heaps of rest.

Hugs to you all and your bubbas,

Kazzy

well it sounds like almost all of us have unsettled bubs at the moment!! at least we dont feel like we are the only ones, it really is good to have this support.

kristie - good idea about the air con!! we have it in our house but it doesnt seem to do anything more than a fan, i think we will have to get it fixed.

nikki - sorry you lost on the cup - hope you had fun anyway!

kazzy - congrats on your win. thats great eden was so well behaved for your shopping trip. it must have felt great. i loved our first shopping outing!

well i am off for a very early night tonight to catch up on some of last nights sleep - lets hope Emma doesnt have other plans for me....

We had a great night last night... Dylan actually slept for a few hours at a time! He's been very unsettled this afternoon though - heat I guess. It sounds like it's been hot everywhere today - lots of unsettled bubs!

We nearly put our air-con on, but then the sea breeze kicked in... love it! Tonight we've got heaps of mzzies in the house, so I'll have to put a fly-sheet over the bassinette or he'll get eaten.

Sorry for short post but off to bed while I have the chance!

Hope you all have a restful night...

Hi!

Hope you all had a good sleep last night. I wasn't too bad. I got a few couple of hours at a time. I'd be happy with one good long night sleep though!

It's so hot here. Grrr. Went looking at air conditioners but will take about 5-7 days to order it in. It'll probably be raining in Melb again by that time!

I'm so excited we just ordered tickets to see Billy Connelly in Jan - It will probably be our first big outing without bubba! He'll be over 3 months by then so all would be good as long as I leave him with enough milk. I think we'll make a good night of it anyway and have dinner as well!

O.K - off to have some lunch - is that the time already?? How quickly to the days fly by??

Something for you to look forward to, .... Maria had her 2 month immunisations today. I though she mightreact worse than she did, but overall she was ok just very clingy and rather sleepy for the first couple of hours after the panadol. Tonight she has slept quite well. We have given her the bottle of EBM, so hopefully she will sleep longer.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast