Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn to 1 Month, September '04

Pietta Guest

Yay for a good nights sleep for you Michelle! Ryley slept from 3.45 until about 8.30 today. I was awake and waiting to give him his feed but didnt want to disturb him coz he looked so peaceful.

Has anyone else's babies got a serious startle reflex happening? (thats when they throw their hands back when they are startled or scared?) Ryley does it all the time and sometimes wakes himself up from it.

(i have put some new pics on his site too)

Sooo cute Pee!!! (sorry for butting in!)... I just have to say one thing about the startle reflex, have you tried wrapping him?? Matilda hated it, so it didn't work for us, but our friends with bubs born 2 days before found that wrapping was the answer, she would wrap her bub and he slept soooo much better and wouldn't wake up half as much...

I have heard of the nipple confusion too.... but we never suffered the problem. Matilda will latch on to anything in sight LMAO!!! She was bf'd & had a comp feed daily, until now when we are weaning her because she sleeps 10x better after a bottle feed than a breastfeed.

(runs back over to 1-6months)

Oh bugger! I hate when I post and then it stuffs up.

Quickly as I can't remember what I wrote, we do the wrapping thing and I agree with Christy, it stops the startle reflex.

I can't wait to get a "really" good nights sleep. I class last night as good although I was up at 3am and 6.30am. Strange isn't it, I know before I know it Jessica will sleep through so in some ways I am enjoying it as she is our last baby, and once it's over it will definetly be over.

Cheers Michelle

Pietta Guest

Ryley is the same as Matilda- he HATES being wrapped up. If I swaddle him he gets soooooo grumpy. Also last night I put a blanket slightly higher than where he could see so the TV light wasnt in his eyes and he got all grumps and threw his hands up and pulled the blanket down so he could see the light (obviously not the tv coz thats bad for him). I thought how cute it looked like he did it on purpose but after the fifth time i figured maybe he knows what he's doing!!

He's stopped waking himself with the startle but is more during the day. I think he freaks himself out sometimes!!
    Well last night I got to sleep from 11 until 3.30 and then 5 until 9 so I am a reasonably happy Mummy today!!

Hope everyone is well!! How is Fraser going Orkids??

spiddles Guest

Liam is exactly the same...Hates being wrapped up. Always has to have his hands free. Midwife kept trying to wrap him up in hospital and he would get grumpy.

DH and I are just getting over the flu....Liam is starting to get a bit restless only has had 3 and a half hours sleep since 6:30 this morning and is now 5:30.....I hope he isnt coming down with anything. DH last nite was nice enough to give Liam a bottle of expressed milk so i could sleep though.

I love how these tiny babies already know what they like LOL. Jessica was a bugger last night, wouldn't go back to sleep no matter what I did and I was soooo tired, I said something not very nice and Arron took over as I had had it. She is very crafty, she stopped crying the minute he held her (while lying in bed mind you) and went to sleep. HMMM! We can't have that becoming a habit, I like my bed to myself, but occasionally there is no other way.

Good on your DH giving you a rest Spiddles. Arron has been great so far with Jessica, I did all night feeding etc with the other 3 but he is really helping this time, maybe he wants to experience our last baby a little more too.

spiddles Guest

Am starting to feel much better and DH has been helping out anyway he can (he has always been good like that) Its good to see your DH is helping you out too with Jessica mitch3now

Liam is taking to the boob more. Trish was right...I do need to express before I feed as my nipples seem to be too hard for him to latch onto. He seems to only like the left one (hopefully that will change) so when my right one gets hard and lumpy I express a bit from that too.

Has anyone got any ideas to stop being sprayed on???. Just changed Liam's nappy and it ended up all over him, all over me, all over new nappy, all over the change table mat (thank gawd that is waterproof) and the towel on the change table and on the carpet. Didn't know until now how much he could wee. I ended up stripping him. Putting some water quickly in wash basin in bathroom and try to wash him off (would have taken too long to set up bath) then tried to settle him and redress him and then give myself a shower and get changed and do another load of washing. Somehow I managed to do it.......still don't know how.

LOL Spiddles at the spraying thing! Boys are sooo good at that, I think you need to be prepared every change for that and maybe put a nappy or face washer over the top of his bits so if he does wee there is something to stop it from going everywhere.

It does make for interesting nappy changes, and lots of frantic activity by you to clean up both Liam and you. The things you never expect.

I am going to go crazy at Jordan (my oldest) as she purposefully woke Jemma (my 19 month old) when she was sleeping soundly. School holidays couldn't finish quick enough for me at the moment. Joshua hasn't even gotten dressed today (he's 5) and they have trashed their rooms again! As if I don't have enough work to do.

Cheers Michelle

Pietta Guest

I think I am likely to just have my one little bubba- I dont know if i could handle more than one!! I have alot of respect for multiple Mums now!! Mind you I have respect for Mums in general now!!

With regard to the piddle thing- Two nights ago I had to change Ryley's clothes twice within 20 minutes coz he kept peeing on himself!! I have now started to keep a few face washers next to the change mat and i put them on him. what I find difficult is trying to give his bottom- free air time- plus trying to cap his piddling!! I think if i was to tape some of our episodes and then reply them to myself I would end up laughing I am sure.

I am too afraid to let Ryley sleep in our bed. I dont think I could even sleep if he was in there!! I would be afraid of squishing him. I cant even sleep if heis in my lap for fear of him being dropped or whatever.

I put Ryley on his play gym thing today and he loved looking at himself in the mirror!! Then he started swatting at it!! He has the biggest hands on a baby i have ever seen so maybe that is why he is so co-oridnated already!!

Hope everyone is well!!

Had to laugh at Liam weeing everywhere. Unfortunately thats boys for you. I used to keep a cloth nappy close by if I had his nappy off for any thhing longer that 5 seconds. lol. So many times when I changed Noah in the middle of the night with the lights out and you'd think you were just about done and you'd feel his singlet, then his pjs and everything was wet, of course so was our bed where I was changing him at the time.
    I've never had a problem with my babies sleeping in bed with me, it's like you just know that they are there and you sleep so still. It also made it easier for me on nighttime feeds.
    Spiddles glad to be of help on the whole boob thing. It does seem that after 38 months of breastfeeding,(god thats alot of time) that I have learnt something about it. I was actually asked to become a breastfeeding consultant - maybe I should think about it... JK
    The best thing about seeing all that wee spiddles is knowing that you have caused it. It's all you.

Take care
    Trish

I know this isn't where I'm supposed to be girls, but I just had to jump in and and say what a cutie Ryley is, Pee!!!

LOL, at the startle reflex... I remember Aidyn doing that all the time as well and waking himeself up! A couple times he has farted when he has been asleep, and startled himself awake by doing it! LMAO!!!!

Hehehe at the piddling too... I copped that a fair few times... but its nothing compared to a projectile poo landing on you... ROFL!!!

and RE the wrapping... Aidyn hated that too, and would always manage to get unwrapped in the middle of the night. So I ended up buying him one of those Grobag sleeping bags... best things I ever bought for him, and it saved me from getting up constantly to check if he was smothering himself with his blankets too...

Glad to hear everyone's bubba's are going so well!!

(Thanks for letting me post here girls, I hope you don't mind!?!?!? It's bringing back sooo many memories reading your posts and its making me nostalgic - it feels like so long ago, yet its only been 4 months!!)

Ambah, if thats the case I shouldn't be here either my last newborn is now 2 and 4 months and it will be about 5 months before I have another one. I know what you mean though, it is so nice just to have a read and throw in a little input, maybe help out a little.

Take care
    Trish

Hi all
    I agree you just sleep differently when you have a baby in your bed, not that I do it all the time but sometimes its that or insanity.

Don't worry Pee after awhile you forget things you thought you wouldnt do and then you have another baby, and if you are like me another and another. Its all good and worth the stress in the end. My cousin was only ever going to have one but soon decided her ds needed a sibling as it was alot of work to have one by themselves )demanding on her) she is glad now as they have someone to play with when she is busy, or fight with!LOL

We have had the IL's her 3 nights in a row and I am starting to freak as MIL annoys the crap out of me as she is always tired etc and just whinges the whole time about how she wants to go to bed. My sughestion is go home, what a lovely DIL I am
    Cheers Michelle

Hi girls,
    almost time for me us to move on. Amelia has been definitely smiling since 2 weeks. I could not believe it but the more she did it the more we could see the difference between a wind and a fair dinkum smile. So Pee, believe it, Ryley will be smiling.
    Jonathan is realy doing well with adjusting to his new little sister. He has also become a real little helper. It ahs been much easier than I had expected. For those of you who remember him beginning toilet training, he has now been in big jocks for just over a month. I can not believe it. I can say he is officially toilet trained with exception to sleeps.

We are still working at the b/f. Am still getting a sore R nipple due to her strong suck and the difficulty in getting her properly latched on. We went to a lactation clinic last Friday and established our problems. We now just have to be patient and realy tack our time.

Well, hope you are all doing well ladies and babies

Hi Rose
    doesn't time fly! So glad your ds has adjusted so well, they usually don't have problems as long as they still feel loved and you spend time with them. He is a toilet training champ! We aren't worrying about Jemma yet, she is 19 months and very aware but not quite ready. We are going to wait till summer.

Good on you for persevering with the bf. Did you bf Jonathon?

See you soon in the next forum
    Best wishes Michelle

Pietta Guest

I saw Ryley do his first proper smile today!! He saw my face and I said - Hey Baby Mummy loves you and kissed his forehead and he smiled at me!!!!! \/ \/ \/ \/

I am a happy Mummy today! My goodness though i think he has started a growth spurt coz he used to drink 120mL every 4-5 hours (usually pushing 5 hours) but now he wants 120mL every three!! I cant believe how quickly he has grown!!

Thanks Ambah for saying he is a cutie. I think so too but I am pretty biased!! I just realised I've never seen pics of Jessica or Amelia or Aidyn. Do you guys have pics?

I am getting more and more happy with my decision to bottle feed every day when i see how happy Ryley is.
    By the way- Ryley sleeps in his pram next to my bed and I think I will keep him in there at night until he is a month old. I am lucky though, he will sleep anywhere, but will only settle for me. Poor DH tried to settle him last night so i could have a break but Ryley wanted no part in it. He screamed for 15 mins with DH trying everything so I took him and in literlly 2 minutes he was asleep. 8-[ I hope this doesnt continue. We'll have to do something about it soon.

Hope your all well!!

spiddles Guest

Liam is exactly the same Pee...I call him my little heffer!!! He usually sleeps in pram while I am downstairs but I have a basinette set up for him beside the bed with the baby monitor (which is good cause has night light aswell)

I just got to see the professional photos that we had taken last week. The same person did our wedding photos and they were fantasic (anyone that can take a half decent photo of me does well) and these are absolutly georgous. Am getting a copy on CD as well as birthing cards made up which have 5 different photos and all his birth details printed on them to give to family.

Pietta Guest

We're getting Pixi Photos taken tonight- using my free one from the Bounty Bag. I cant wait because all the pics we have taken are gorgeous- imagine what a professional can do!!

I am going to give them out as our birth announcements. The ones they take in the hospital are just too expensive. $125 for one big pic two medium and six little. We cant afford that.

I was going to buy a bassinette but lucky I didnt coz Ryley was born so long he wouldnt have lasted five minutes in it!! hehehe

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast