Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newborn to 1 Month, September '04

Pietta Guest

Default Newborn to 1 Month, September '04

Hello everyone,

Although Riley is not quite here yet I just wanted to start this little area off. Who has a newborn at the moment? I wasnt sure who is currently in this forum!
    I wanted to intro myself in case their were some new Mums I didnt know yet!!

Melinda Guest

I'm here Pee!!!! It's the first time I've posted here mind you and I'll only be here for another 2w as Jacob was 2w old yesterday!! Eeeeksss!!!

Pietta Guest

Hey Toots!!
    I only just asked about you in the 3rd tri forum!! How are you doing? Are Jacob (tiger) and you doing well?

I shouldnt be in this forum yet! My little guy is being a right pain in th butt and not coming out. I am going to be induced next week though so there is some light at the end of the tunnel!!

Melinda Guest

Heya matey,

I was going to be induced as well....was due to have an OB appt on the day that Jacob was born LOL and he was going to induce me the next day!! So you never know....you might not make it that far either (hopefully not!)

hi Tootie and Pee,

Quicky while the two are asleep. We are doing well at the moment. Ds has adjusted well to little Amelia and Amelia has to be woken for most of her feeds. Last feed is at 9.30pm and then I wake her at 6am to start the day off. She is a real little sucker whether attached correctly or not, when it comes to the feeding, hence I have real sore boobs. We are seeing a lactation consultant on Friday so we shall see how that all goes.

How are you both going? And anyone else who has joined the newborns?

Melinda Guest

Hey Rose,

I'm about to join the 1 - 6 mth forum as Jacob is 1 month old on Saturday (4w today though mind you LOL). The time has just flown by.

We're travelling ok....still finding our feet and working things out which can be tricky at times, but very interesting indeed!!!

spiddles Guest

Am here to join you now too girls!!

bindyboo Guest

Hi all, i introduced myself back in the August/ sept forum but then my computer died and wasnt able to get back on for a long time, Congratulations on all of your babies, i also had a son Riley, we have nicknamed him Digger as his initials are RSL, he was born on the 7/9/04 8 days late and by emergency c section after 2 days of failed induction.
    Anyway hope you are all great and your babies are bringing you as much joy as my liitle digger is.
    Cheers Bindyboo

Hi girls
    I am here too. Good to hear you are all well, I am feeding Jessica right now, typing 1 handed. Jemma is in bed, Josh ans Jordan are out with My mum and dad. It is quiet for a second. I am having fun keeping up with the washing, and the house isn't exactly spotless but with 4 kids I guess thats almost impossible. Jessica is just over 2 weeks old and Arron reckons she sounds like a motorbike when she wakes for night feeds.

We are both tired as we have also had both Josh and Jemma with temps and gastro and Jordan was in a play and it was her bday on the 16th, so it has been really flat out here

Hear from you all soon
    cheers Michelle

Hi all,
    Things are travelling well here. Amelia cotinues to sleep through the night. Instead, we have had a few rough nights with Jonathan. Awake, screaming for an hour or so through the night. I think it is his way of dealing with the new addition. He is also teething 2 year olds I think.

Michelle, how can you type and feed at the same time? are you b/f or bottle? If you are bottle I can see how you can do both. Our b/f is very tricky as she sucks and gets frustrated, getting her tongue in the way hence I have very sore nipples. OUCH.......

Hope everyone else is doing well. We are getting some lovely smiles now too.

Hi Rose,
    yes I am a bottle feeder, there are no breastfeeding genes in our family, I failed miserabley the first 2 times and didn't bother after that. Less stress for me!
    We had a terrible night with jessica crying intermittenly all night. Discovered she was prob hungry as she drank only half of the amount of milk she should, but sleep deprivation failed to point this out to me till this morning. Dh kept saying just give her a bottle but I thought she had wind. Derr, and I have had 4 kids, you'd think I'd have worked it out by now. I don't think she is going to do what Jemma did i.e. sleep through at 3 weeks. Bad luck for DH and I.

Interesting Jonathon is taking over Amelias job of waking the parents. He doesn't want you to feel left out! Jemma has done the same recently but she wasn't well so I think thats why.

Best wishes Michelle

Pietta Guest

I didnt know there was another bottle feeder! How old was Jessica when you started breast feeding?
    After I was told by my CHN that I could bottle and breast I have started trying both. Unfortunately every time Ryley gets even 20 mL he starts to grizzle and last night I gave him a bottle with 20mL of EBM and the rest formula (like the nurse said) and the poor little guy had a horrid sleep. He was grumpy and it seems to make him constipated so after one full day of trying it- I decided that seeing my baby boy happy is more importnat than easing my guilt. He has put on 200 odd grams over his birth weight now and is doing really well so I dont think I need to worry.

I know it is too early for him to be smiling but I am sure he acknowledges my face/voice and has a smile or a kind of smile. It makes my heart melt! I am only now just starting to get into the swing of being a Mum and it is starting to become natural for me and just part of my day rather than something I need to focus on- plus I havent had a random cry for about three days now so I think everything is settling down.

I am getting less worried and less stressed when things happen as I realise he is actually alot healthier and stronger than I give him credit for.
    How is everyone else settling in routine wise??

Hi Pee,

I didn't even try to breast feed this time, with jessica, she had her first bottle on day 1. I tried for about a week with Jordan, 3 days with Joshua and not at all with Jemma. It's just not for me. Interesting you say about the part bottle part breast. My cousin has a 13 week old and she does a bit of both and her baby is badly constipated i.e. 4 days between poohs, so I don't know how good it is for the bowels.

Don't feel guilty about bottle feeding. What happened with the breast feeding? I really feel that for some people (me included) it just isn't right. I ended up with mastitis and bleeding cut nipples fter my first experience and I think that scarred me in the way that the pain and discomfort was etched in my mind for ever and I could never relax therefore feeding would be impossible/uncomfortable. My babies have all been happy and bottle fed. Whatever you can do, you should do, and be glad to have a healthy baby.

I can't wait for the actual "routine" to start, I have black bags under my eyes and feel soo tired when I do the night feeds. Arron was great last night, really pitching in to help settle Jessica when she was screaming and screaming. Makes me love him even more because he is being considerate and helpful, and trying to help me.

Cheers Michelle

spiddles Guest

I am finding it difficult to breast feed too. Poor Liam gets so frustrated and doesnt want to latch on properly which is then stressing me out. Seems to only want to latch on every 1 out of 3 feeds.

My boobs are sooo huge and get lumpy on occasions so have just been expressing and feeding him that which seems to make him happy when he doesnt want to latch on.

Am so lucky in a way, he is the most placid child I have ever seen (apart from the first nite home). Only cries when its feed time and bathtime (is starting to get use to bath now) and doesnt seem to get wind at all.

I know what you mean Pee, I swear Liam is smiling at me sometimes. When he wakes up and hears your vioce and you go to pick him up he always seems to be grinning.

Spiddles, if you express just alittle out it will make your boobs abit softer and easier for Liam to attach, also the milk will have started flowing for him which takes out the hard work for him. I think that you will find, babies generally after they have tried drinking from a bottle as opposed to a breast they get lazy. Breast feeding is harder and more tiring on them however persistence will pay off. If you find that your milk flows too fast in your let down, try and lay back alittle and bring him to the boob not the other way around.
    I have breast feed all my babies, the first 2 for 9 months and the last for 20 and trust me it is all trial and error. What works for one baby won't always work for the next. Let me know how it goes. HTL

Take care
    Trish

spiddles Guest

Thanks for the advise trish......His last 3 feeds today have been from boob...expressed a bit this morning and are alot softer.

Midwife has now discharged me from home visits. His birth weight was 3380 and had droped by 250g 3 days after he was born. Is now 11 days old and 3490g

Pietta Guest

I am glad to see that Liam's weight has gone up. Isnt it nice to know they are growing okay!!

Poor little Ryley was so constipated all weekend that I have totally taken him off EBM aswell. He didnt poop for 2 days compared to a normal 2 per day. He is sleeping well again now (after his poop- sorry if TMI) and I am never doing that to him again!! As much as I wish he would. I found out that neither my brother nor I were able to breast feed either, so maybe it could also be something in the family?

One thing I realised today is that in this horrible world of destruction and violence and everyone being for themselves, the innocence of my little Ryley makes me be a better person and realise that it is possible to not be selfish in such a busy world. I dont think I would change being a Mum for anything.

I too have heard of the problem about doing both bottle and breast, the midwives call it nipple confusion, i.e. different shape teats, different suction etc.

It's great Trish that you can help out those who are struggling with Breast feeding. I used to think of I had of just kept trying things would have worked out but I realised that I don't really feel comfortable with having ta baby on the end of my breast anyway and therefore I am better off not stressing.

GOod luck with it Spiddles, hopefully it will come good in a few days.

Pee did you ask the Health centre sister about the constipation?

We had a really good night last night, feeds 4 hourly and only 1 period of unsettled crying when Jessica needed a burp.

Cheers Mchelle

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast