thread: Blood loss after c-section

Custardtart Guest

Blood loss after c-section

A quick question for anyone who knows...
    When I was in hospital the midwives were constantly asking how the bloodflow was after birth, and seemed to indicate that if the blood was bright red that they wanted to know.
    I've probably done a bit more than I should have the last couple of days, and although the flow hasn't increased in volume, the colour has changed to bright red. Is this a bad thing? Have I done some damage around where the staples were, or is this normal?

Kerrie

Nov 2004
    Chasing Daylight...

Kerrie

I can't remember the specifics after my last C/S, but I just wanted to say if you're concerned at all you should give the midwives who birthed your bub a quick call. They can probably answer your question over the phone and let you know straight away if you should go in to get checked.

Hope it's nothing at all

Feb 2004
    Melbourne

Just moved your post to Body After Baby - you might get more responses here.....

As for your question, I found that if I did more than usual I would get alot of red blood then it would ease again pretty quickly. When I told the ECHN or my Dr at the 6wk checkup neither seemed bothered at all - just told me to try & rest a bit more.

Melinda Guest

I had bright red blood for a while, from memory. I'm not sure exactly how long, but I'm sure that I still did at the number of weeks post-birth that you are, Kerrie. It used to come and go in gushes too.....ewwww. But yes, overdoing it, as Sarah said, can bring it on a bit worse - I found that to be the case, for sure.

Custardtart Guest

Thanks, ladies, good to know it's most likely pretty normal and I just need to rest up today.

Kerrie

Kirsty77 Guest

Hi Kerrie

I have the same problem.Although my blood loss has started to slow down it still comes and goes in gushes depending on how active I am.The midwifes indicated to me that it would only be bright red for a couple of weeks, but everyones different.At the moment it goes from bright red to a browny colour depending on what I've done during the day.I suppose it doesn't help that I'm constantly active!