Thread: Stomach muscle separation...physios???....

Question Stomach muscle separation...physios???....

I had quite a bit of muscle separation above my belly button during my pregnancy with Izzy and now when I do sit up I can feel that my muslces are still separated (hence the jelly sag ) Its about 3 cms separated. Anyway just wondering if anyone else has had this or if there are any physios out there that know if I can do just normal sit ups to repair it or do I need to do something else?? I've heard that sit ups may make it worse and thats definately the last thing I want to do - but I need to get back into shape too!
    TIA

Hi Tan

I have that problem as well and my physio told me to do sit ups with my arms crossed over my stomach area kind of like holding the stomach together IYKWIM and not to come right up but to do more like a crunch (she said to cross my arms and hold/rest my hands on the side of my stomach/hip area). I am not sure if it works as I am yet to start doing them - I feel very guilty that I havent started yet. Now that you have made me think about it I might have to get into it!
    Good luck
    I will be interested to see if there are any other ways of addressing this issue!
    Jem

I have that too. Pilates is brilliant for closing the gap. It's helped mine heaps.

When you're doing it you can push the muscles together a bit with your hands on either side to support them.

I had a big gap after birth and the hospital physio gave me a 'sausage skin'. Dont know the real name but it is that stretchy bandage stuff that you put on your knees etc but a big one for around your tummy. That really helped to bring my muscles back together. Also agree with Sammy-J - pilates is really good. But I would stay away from normal sit-ups.

the sausage skin is called tubigrip

Tan...it is all part of the postpartum process of the body getting back into shape...remember 9 months to grow the baby, and at least 9 months to get your body back

I recommend any toning and strength exercise...such as pilates or yoga...to help

xx yogababy

I'm a physio, and I've still got a separation too!!!

I do gentle crunches while holding on to my stomach, like trying to hold the edges together and down. Basically you are trying to avoid outward pressure on the middle bit where it is separated. You can try tubigrip or special pants, not sure if they really work that well. Oh, and it took me more than 3 months to be able to do a tiny crunch again without suffering the whole day!!!

Like others have said, you may find pilates useful too - you could look for a pilates class run by a physio to ensure it is modified for your needs. I know the pilates king is based in Melb.

I used one of those tubigrip things too. The physio at the hospital gave me one. Make sure you ask for one next time to support you muscles while it's all loose and slack after the birth (if there is a next one of course ).