Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Pad & Menstrual Cup Discussion Thread

I bought my moon pads from a mumma company i can't remember the name of them but they certainly are comfy. i am really interested to buy a diva cup i have heard such great reports about them. hmmm must do some research and find one.\
    ps maz i am very impressed with your daughters talents in your ticker photo.... lmao!
    beckles

maz - kmart, myers, dj's, target ... they're very "in" at the mo. Quite exxy though unfortunately - I bought a pile on a 25% off sale (had to tell DH it was buy 3 get one free else he'd say why not just buy 2?) but they're more boyleg style. Very soft though, just lovely. Literally feel like you're not wearing any

I got an email from Mooncup saying that the TGA considers the Mooncup to be a 'medical device', so can't be supplied to wholesalers in Australia - that's why you have to order in from OS. Not legal to be sold in Oz, but can be brought into Oz - must be something to do with having to have some kind of medical background to sell it.
    How ridiculous - it's taking me back to the GST thing about menstrual goods being a luxury item.
    Oh, nearly forgot! I got my cup from the UK site...just before the Oz dollar took a dive...
    Last edited by Smoke Jaguar; October 16th, 2008 at 09:19 PM.

They cant be sold in Australia as yet because they are classed as a medical device and as such have to get TGA approval. because most of these companies are quite small they havent really had the money to chase it up and get the relevant approvals etc....there is a whole heap of red tape and testing that has to be done before anything is approved by the TGA.

one company has just received approval or exemption insome way but i forgetwhich ( someone on nappycino was saying they fnally had the okay to sell them here just a couple of weeks back).

I love my nice knicker bamboo velour topped ones from wild child....my rather large stash is almost exclusively those now...they wear so much better than flannel topped pads...nearlt 2 years and still going strong some of them!

oh and my own brand ones of course...although I usually end up with all the seconds that my perfectionist brain won't let me sell!!

Well Melbel make me some woman!!!!!! I love your pads....me want now!!!

Maybe I should ge tmy SIL to order some in...she orders all theatre stuff for the hospital she works at (dandynong) hmmm me thinking now

ETA - beckles - I was going to put up the pic of my little man licking his nose but thoguht people might spew int he process

I was thinking of trying some of the swalldbees organic velour ones cloth pads - has anyone tried these?

How do you all wash them, do they stain?

I am very intrigued. I hate tampons and only use pads - but even with the "natural" cover ones I get irritated down there......

MEL - where? I can't see yours! I want some too!!!!

KittyKat - I have a small container of water in I put them into to soak and put them in with the nappies. Do be careful though, I just had one that I've washed a few times, but the colour of the brocade ran and stained my bamboo boosters!

I have just stumbled apon this thread and it seems very timely for me.

Since having Loren 10 months ago it seems that I have developed a sentivity to pads. TMI warning...After AF I have a lot of discomfort, I get the same issues when DH uses condoms. Last cycle I tried tamponds but it seems my pelvic floor has relocated and I can't seem to get one in the right spot...So I am seriously stuffed!!!

Actually the thought of using "rags' is a bit dark ages to me...sorry Maz, but I don't want to go through any more allergic reactions, so cloth looks like a great option.

As for the cup idea, if I can't insert a tampond successfully then how would I go with a cup?

Where should I start? Question...What about smell and cleaning?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I find soaking them overnight works a charm for the stain factor... get them in water as soon as you take them off and soak for 24 hours. Just washing them seems to set the stains.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

If one has problems with tampons, should she still try a menstrual cup? I use tampons sometimes but they don't seem to fit properly, they never go in the full length of my finger no matter what, they slip down and such, and always leak! I have no idea what I'm doing wrong but after 10 odd years of having a period, I still can't work it out!

Default Another plug for menstrual cups...

Using a menstrual cup is a totally different experience to using a tampon. Firstly, the cup is very easy to insert (as all of you lovely ladies have stated in this forum), and it collects/catches your menstrual flow as opposed to absorbing it as tampons do. Because tampons are highly absorbent, they draw in ALL the secretions present, causing irritation and higher likelihood of infections. The cups are made from medical-grade silicon, and are hypoallergenic, and don't interfere with the natural secretions of the vagina. They also sit lower in the body than tampons, and you cannot feel their presence at all. If you have issues with tampons, I would highly recommend trying a cup.

As you are most probably aware, tampons are made from cotton (and some synthetic fibres) and cotton is one of the most heavily 'pesticided' crops that humans grow. You readily absorb any pesticides through the mucous membranes of the vagina, so this is another factor to consider. Organic cotton tampons are available in health stores, and these are indeed better than your standard mass produced luxury-taxed-plugs-in-a-pretty-box... (sorry ) but are far surpassed by menstrual cups.

I know that buying a cup is a bit of an investment initially, but you will save big bucks long term, not to mention the reduction of your impact on this planet, and the benefit to your own health.

Sorry for the rant!

xxx

Thankyou for your rant Nicole! The information you provided was great.

I currently have my first visit from AF since giving birth to DD. I seem to have pain and discomfort using tampons which I have never had before. I am really interested in trying a cup, as I also want to rid as many toxins from mine and my families lives as possible. How many pads/liners should I be getting to use along with a cup? I would hope to use the cup full time but would like liners whilst using the cup and maybe pads as a back up? I have never used pads so I have no idea what is a 'normal' quantity?

I have seen wild child and swaddlebees pads mentioned which both have a velour top, what do 'you' (everyone) think is the best for absorbancy and comfort?

Any advise or assistance would be great?

Thankyou! Deanne.

Nicole - thanks for the information, very helpful. I am still not sure if the cup with go in though. I seem to have a bit of a bulge at the opening of my vaginal and I have lift it up so that I can insert a tampond...sorry way too much information.

Matilda - Great questions

Hello Lovelies,

Firstly, no such thing as too much information. That's what BB is for - no need to apologise!

Secondly, as far as pads go, it is great to have a few in supply as a back-up for the cup as you are mastering how to use it. Some people have a tiny bit of leakage the first few times they use a cup. Once you have a bit of practice, they are superb.

If you are using cloth pads full-time, I'd say you would need at least five, depending on your flow, the type of pads, and how skilled you are in the soaking/washing department. I've got six or seven cloth pads of various shapes and sizes - four of them are radpads that I've had for many moons, and the others are organic cotton and bamboo. I love all of them, but the org cotton flanelette and bamboo are really absorbent and suit me the best - I haven't tried any velour-topped ones, so I can't comment on them.

BekZ - it may be worth emailing the mooncup or divacup sites to ask for more info, and see whether the cups would be suitable for you. The beauty of the cups is that you only need one, and they last almost forever!

xxx

PS - I have also made my own pads from offcuts of organic cotton jersey and flanelette, which are great too (a bit wonky though... I'm not the best seamstress!)

only 5 - 6 pads...oh im shamefull then..I have about 15

MM - I have the same problem with tampoons ect since i had my kids so I prefer to use pads. Its a horrible - nails down the blackboard feeling that I cant handle either.

I have a few assorted ones...my last purchase was from Bohemian Rainbow which Ive decided on going back and getting a few more off when the $$$ comes in December. I also have some Obsidian which are great. Ive made my own and really need to pull some time from good knows were to make some more. I ve mad esome that our hour glass shaped and have minkee on top

Quote Originally Posted by maz View Post
    only 5 - 6 pads...oh im shamefull then..I have about 15
    Same here

Astrid - spill woman what kinds...im on the hunt for some news ones and cant be bothered making any atm

I managed to get through the whole MCN thing now I have to work my way through the best cloth pad... you really do learn something new everyday!

I have decided to try the moon cup, now I have to decide on pads, a couple of ladies have listed their fav's but I am still confused as to what will work for me. I have only ever used (regular) tampons until I had Matilda now I seem to have ridiculous heavy periods so I am a bit scared of leaking .

We are also TTC #2 - I would like some pads for after the birth, is there such thing as maternity pads in cloth? I assume that you have to wait until AF returns after birth to use the cup?

Thanks for all your help and info ladies

Deanne.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast