Thread: Diaphrams

Default Diaphrams

How many people have tried this form of contraception?

I'm not keen on using the pill at the moment as I'm breastfeeding and was wondering whether a diaphram might be a better contraceptive. Are they easy to use? They look kind of big in photos! Also whats the procedure for getting one?

bumpity bump

I asked my Dr about it after #2 and she said she had never fitted anyone before and she has been practicing for about 10 years! So we didn't but did the Billings method instead.

Hi Jayney

I guess one of the things that is deterring me from seeing the doctor is that I feel like Ive been poked and prodded in that area enough already this year! But dh has been using condoms for 4 months and is starting to complain. Did you find the Billings method easy?

Jodie259 Guest

Emma...

I used to use a diaphram years ago. I was so forgetful, so taking the pill wasn't an option for me... and I don't like putting hormones into my body if I can help it.

The diaphram is about the size of the palm of your hand (maybe a bit smaller then that). It's rubber, and there is a flexible 'ring' around the edge. You sqeeze two sides together and it then looks a bit like a tampon. You put a bit of lube on it, and insert it inside you... like a tampon. It springs open, and covers the cervix. To remove it...you put your finger inside you, hook onto the ring and just pull it out.

You can put it in the night before you have sex (or just minutes before)... and you have to leave it in for at least 6 hours after sex. The guy (and yourself) feels NOTHING at all. And there are no side effects. It is 91% protection from pregnancy. And protects against some STD's.

this is a good website with diagrams on what it looks like & how to insert it:
    Birth Control: How to Use Your Diaphragm -- familydoctor.org

I think it's a great form of contraception. You don't have to "think" about it. No charts, no timing.

Initially it has to be fitted by a doctor... but it's not too intrusive. Once you get the right size... that's it. No scripts, no more expenses (except the lube/spemicide)

I recommend it. It's not hugely used in Australia. I first got it when I lived in London. And then another one when I returned to Australia.

Thanks Jodi- it doesnt seem like it would be too hard to use.

Is it possible for them to get stuck? I seem to remember that happening on a Sex in the City episode!

Jodie259 Guest

Very easy to use...

and no... it can't get stuck. There is no-where for it to go.

I guess you just have to be 'comfortable' with yourself... to insert a finger and hook the edge of the diaphram to pull it out.

I went and saw a doctor about it yesterday. Surprisingly they are no longer available in Aust due to their failure rate. Oh well, just a shame there isnt many non hormonal options

Hi Emma,

THats not true - if you are in sydney you can go down to the family planning clinic and they will fit you. there is one in ashfield if thats close to you....

Family Planning NSW: Services: Your Local Centre: Ashfield

ps - so diaphragms are no longer available but cigarettes are? umn hello....

clever bunch our government!! lol