Thread: there gotta b something else!

Question there gotta b something else!

I was just wonderin if anyone had any ideas on contraception for me.
    I cant take the pill as it makes me throw up....so the implant is out of the question too.
    Ive tryed the marina but that had to be taken out as i was hospitalised not long after for depression, Ocd and PND. Which my docters said contrabuted to it. I dont know how but it did. Since having it taken out my moods have been alot better.
    So yeah theres not really many options left for me!
    My partner and i have tryed the pull out method but thats how we came to have son #1!
    My menstrual cycle goes for 35 days, so does this mean we can have unprotected sex in the first 2 weeks after menstruation?[/COLOR]

What about the old fashioned condom?

We do use them but when u have been in a relationship for soooo long it would be nice not to have to. Thats why with me having a 35 day cycle i was wondering when we could have sex without having to use protection?

try the billings method, its like you mentioned above about learning when not to have sex during fertile days

Have you tried a combination of spermicide and a diaphragm???
    Knowing when you ovulate helps too as you can avoid dtd during that time, so that's a start but not very reliable as your body can change and not give you any notice lol.

so the implant is out of the question too
    I am pretty sure it works differently to the pill - don't discount it without speaking to your doc. I had severe high blood pressure on the pill at 21 (I'm talking 200/100!!!) and was fine on depo provera for 8 years plus....

does spermicide always work? is it just a different kind of lube?
    ive never seen it in the shops

its wierd because the dr told me that the ingredients in the pill triggers depression in 1 out of 100 ppl. which includes the implant and the mirena

The pill has made me completely crazy so i'm scared to try anything else cause i figure its all the same hormones.
    As far as not falling pregnant at certain times, I fell pregnant with DD 6 days after the first day of my period so i don't believe there is a safe time at all!
    I'm thinking of trying another brand of pill to see if that suits me better.

i know what ya mean dee
    i went completely loopy after i had the mirena put in. although i know it didnt cause all my dramas, the dr said it was a trigger

i haven't managed to find a pill that doesn't have yucky side effects, however id rather take the pill and suffer the mood swings and acne if it means i dont have to use condoms. My auntie was telling me about how she has the injections as she had alot of trouble with the pill, she loves the injections, but im not too sure on them...

hope you manage to find something that works well for you.

You could try the depo needle. I've been getting the needle since 2003. The first time I got it I had spotting on & off for the whole 3 months, but thought that at least I'm not preggers yet, so I gave it another 3 months. From the 2nd one on I had no AF at all till it wore off at the end of the 3 months. Some people put on weight, get really hormonal or bleed the whole time, but I think it'd be worth a try. There are alot of people out there the same as me. I've heard alot more good stories than bad.

If you have a talk with your gp he/she should be able to let you know if they think it'd be OK for you or not. I will never change. My 2 pregnancies since starting it were both planned & it took around 4 & 7 months after coming off it to fall with them. So I know if I miss a week or so accidentally between I'm still covered.

Hope you find something soon. Goodluck.

I know what your going through, I haven't found the right answer yet and that led to DD#2. The best thing to do is to always assume that you could be "O" Sperm can be sneaky little things and hang around waiting I'm trying the Marina ATM , it is not perfect but I found it helped with my moods. Sorry I don't have any answers, good luck.

I highly recommend the Billings method. I was tired of side effects and looking for something else. Condoms are a pain and tried spermacide gel didn't like those either. Asked my Dr about a diaphram and she said she had never fitted one before. She said look into Billings method. I am never going back to the other choices. For once I feel in control of my own fertility! Drugs are not in control of me, my moods, my weight etc. It took a few months to get used to it and now I don't give it a second thought. It makes conception easier as you are familiar with your cycles. I used a teaching site on line which was wonderful they hold your hand through the process of learning. I used it for over a year before trying for #3 with no problems. We seem to have no problems concieving 6 pregnancies all within 1 to 2 months of trying.

After I have this baby I'll be back to the billings method to learn how to do it while nursing as I hear it is a little different.
    Last edited by Jayney; November 10th, 2007 at 06:08 AM.

i am in the same situation .. any thing with hormoens , be it estrogen or testosterone of and bloomin hormone in it sends me ab****ley CRAZY ( an unable to spell ...lol)

so im lurking in here ... i also have pnd and ocd and anx , so the pill m mirena and the injection will not be so good for me ...

this billings method sounds interesting ... as we use the pull out method ... and a day or 2 beofre af .. i always wonder if im pg ...lol so some sort of order would be good !!

thanx heaps guys for all your support and advice!
    Im actually really excited at the moment coz i have decided to try the billings method! Im hoping that it will work and that i dont end up with an unexpected #3!
    It is soooo encouraging to know that i dont need to use contraception that will send me loopy or stuff up my moods.
    nixonsmama- i hope you are ok....i know how hard it is to have ocd, pnd and anx

Hi

I'm really new to these forums, but I saw your thread and wanted to comment.....

The billings method IS reliable - as long as you stick to the rules. I charted my cycle for several months before using it and my hubby and I have used it successfully for over 2 yrs now. There are no predictions, everything is based on what you see and feel during the day, then you chart it at night on a day to day basis. You may reach the point that you don't have to acually write it down but my hubby found that charting each day on paper was useful to him - he felt involved, asked me at the end of each day "what today was" and that way he knew if we could or not. [btw. I know that's the "baby dance" symbol, but not in this case ]

Basically alternate nights (as you don't want his interferring with your mucus readings) are okay between the end of your period and any change in mucus/slipery sensation, even if you don't see a change. This first stage is variable on many things as ovulation is dependant upon your body producing enough hormones, which is variable on stress, illness etc. There are about 8 days in the middle of your cycle that you can't make love, slightly longer if you're super cautious and stop when you first see any change in mucus. At this stage, the enviroment is quite hospitable to sperm, nourishing and helping them survive which is why you need to abstain until 3 days after the mucus becomes transparent and stretchy. This is the turning point and after this stage the mucus will change again - not be stretchy, more like clag glue. Sometime in the next 12 or so hours ovulation occurs and if you call this non-stretchy mucus "day one" you can go for broke with your partner from the morning of "day 4". The egg lasts about 2-3 days after ovulation, hence the morning of 'day 4' is safe.

I realise that every woman's cycle can be different. This is a method that had been well studied across the globe, in different cultures, with women who have had all sorts of traumas relating to fertility and also for women who have been pregnant, breastfeeding, coming off the pill etc. There is a book: THE BILLINGS METHOD by Evelyn Billings & Ann Westmore. And if you google it, there may even be a centre near you that runs individual classes. Ours were put on by the Catholic (don't cringe) centre and were completely free of charge. The book is easily available too. It was Australians that first put this on the map. It is supported by science too. [link removed, please read guidelines]

Sorry for the extended post.... I hope this helps!?