Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Pill?

Default What Pill?

The thread topic pretty much ask's the question.

What pill would you reccomend? I was on Levlen when i was like 17 - then changed to the Depo shot and fell pregnant!

Any ones i should avoid?

Have you considered a Mirena? I have one and is working perfectly at the moment. There is a thread here for you to check out.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ns-123700.html

Quote Originally Posted by Heather72 View Post
    Have you considered a Mirena? I have one and is working perfectly at the moment. There is a thread here for you to check out.

http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...ns-123700.html
    :yeahthat: I didn't even get AF while I had it in, worked fantastically!

If the depo didn't work twinkletoes the mirena may not either as I think it works the same way as the shot, it's just a more permanent fixture I think implanon is the same too.. No advice on what pill to try, I haven't been on the pill for YEARS!!

ones that you are going the forget to take lol

Thats why i cant take them, the worst memory

This just reminded me to take my antibiotics, thanks babe

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2Romone View Post
    ones that you are going the forget to take lol

Thats why i cant take them, the worst memory

This just reminded me to take my antibiotics, thanks babe
    Nooooooo, i CANNOT forget to take the pills! no more babies for me sadly enough its to dangerous after Jett's crazy arrival. Ive been warned i may not be so lucky next time (both me and bubs)
    ok so i have a plan ill remind you if you remind me

Mmmhh, I can't help much either. I'm on Microgynon 30 and so far had no issues with it whatsoever. But then again, I can't compare it to anything else, as I've been on the same one for five years now. Apparently it is quite reliable, as it uses two different kind of hormones. It works in two ways: 1. It stops the egg from maturing and being released; and 2. it alters the lining of the uterus (=thinner lining), making it unfavorable for egg-implantation. Thinner lining also means shorter periods (mine is only 3 days, sorry TMI) and also less painful! YAY to that one! Anyway, that's all I can contribute. Hope someone else can add, so you have a greater choice.

Good Luck

I know nothing is 100% but Raupe that one sounds great i might ask my dr about it on friday!
    I think the only way to be safe is to not have sex right?

If you're BF your choices are pretty limited. You can only take the mini pill (progesterone only) as the combined one can mess with your supply. I was on Microlut and wasn't really a fan. I didn't get AF at all (which is good in a way but I am paranoid and don't want another surprise!) and I put on a few kilos.
    DS is going to wean soon by the looks of it so I'm getting back onto the combined pill (what Raupe was describing) I was taking before I fell pg...Brevinor I think it was called. Suited me perfectly, no weight gains, bad skin or mood swings! And it eased my period pain and isn't expensive (about $25 per quarter).

The pill is a bit hit and miss, what works for some doesn't work for others. So I guess just start with one and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by allycat06 View Post
    If you're BF your choices are pretty limited. You can only take the mini pill (progesterone only) as the combined one can mess with your supply.
    :yeahthat:

Sorry, maybe should have looked at your signiture didn't know you where bf. Unfortunately combined pills (like mine) can mess with the supply due to the amount of hormones (and the type). Sorry! Maybe just go to your GP and talk about your options. They *should* know best what's out there and suitable for your situation! When I first got mine prescribed they said you can have different pills depending on the reason, other medication and so on. (Apperently you can get one that get's rid of your acne and stuff).

Anyway, again good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by blessedatlast View Post
    If the depo didn't work twinkletoes the mirena may not either as I think it works the same way as the shot, it's just a more permanent fixture I think implanon is the same too.. No advice on what pill to try, I haven't been on the pill for YEARS!!
    The IUD is slightly different to the shot because there is a foreign body in the uterus which prompts the release of leukocytes and prostaglandins which are nasty for sperm and eggs.

I also believe the mirena is a progestogen only contraception, but I have no idea if it's ok to use during BF'ing. Best to ask the GP.

Interesting toomanyshoes.. I would never try any progesterone contraception as I had a bad experience on Depo where I bled for almost a year. Even after I had come off it.. It was horrid and I would be terrified it would happen again..

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyshoes View Post
    I also believe the mirena is a progestogen only contraception, but I have no idea if it's ok to use during BF'ing. Best to ask the GP.
    I am using it while BF and has worked fine, it was the one recommended to me by my OB. It took 3-4mths to settle down, I now have not had an AF for many months! I also do not have any side effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather72 View Post
    I am using it while BF and has worked fine, it was the one recommended to me by my OB. It took 3-4mths to settle down, I now have not had an AF for many months! I also do not have any side effects.
    That's good to hear, the mirena is also used to help lighten periods for women who bleed heavily but in some cases, like yours and my own it stopped all together

blessedatlast - sorry to hear that, my SIL had the implant in her arm for 12+months with non stop bleeding so had it removed and has recently had a mirena inserted with great results.

Wow Toomanyshoes, again that is interesting about your SIL.. I would be too scared to try it I think.. Not that I really have to worry about contraception, 12yrs not on it and only 2 pregnancies.. I just went on the depo after the twins JIC as it would have been dangerous to get pg within the 1st 6 months.. My Mum has a Mirena and she rarely get a period and when she does it's only light.. Sounds like a good option for if I need contraception down the track..

Sorry to hijack your thread Twinkletoes..

That's really interesting about the Mirena. I once heard that it would cause heavier bleeding and bad cramps. Must be wrong though! Is it still made from metal like in ye olde days? Can you feel that you have metal/plastic inside you? Sorry, I don't really know much about it! Is it hard to put in (I mean do you have to be under anesthetics when they put it in?). Sorry for hijacking!

Two of my friends have the implanon. They are raving about it and said I should try it, but I wasn't ready to commit to not having babies for 3 years Cause that's how long it lasts. However one of the girls got really sick/nauseous from it (puked for the first week) and then constantly had random bleeds. I much prefer my regular-every-fourth-sunday-around-3pm-period. I know what to expect and when to expect it Another friend of a friend (apparently) fell pregnant whilst on implanon, too. On the other hand you don't have to worry about forgetting to take a pill everyday. (I never do. It's part of our nightly routine. Turn right - take pill - turn left - give DP goodnight kiss - turn to front - receive back-rub and fall asleep. No way I would forget ).

Raupe - the old copper IUD's are the ones that made bleeding heavier but the new mirena is made from plastic and slowly releases a hormone, and in a lot of cases seems to lighten and sometimes stop periods all together. The only thing you could really "feel" and that was with your fingers IYKWIM lol is the two strings, much like fishing line that pass through the cervix opening to help keep it in place. My husband said he never felt it during intercourse. Your GP can put it in and it's much like having a pap smear, from memory the prescription was around $30 and if your GP bulk bills it works out to be a very low cost over 5 years.

Thank you so much for that info! It actually sounds like a good option to use whilst breastfeeding. I wasn't prepared to use something that would make the period heavier and more painful or would be too complicated to put in. Thanks! I know now what I will use when I'm bf (in two years time! ... tehehe)

And sorry twinkletoes for thread hijacking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast