Thread: Missed miscarriage..

Default Missed miscarriage..

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I'm hoping this is the right place to be posting this!

This was my 2nd pregnancy, my first had no complications at all, is now a healthy 18mo son! So I went for an ultrasound last Monday - I should have been 10 wks 0 days pregnant - but the ultrasound-lady was having difficulty finding the baby, so she did an internal scan, then she found the baby - it looked to be the size of a 5wk old, with no heartbeat, and my gestational sac was the size of an 8wk old (does that all make sense?). It was a complete shock, it never occured to me that I would have a miscarriage - I'm young, healthy, and can't think of anything in my lifestyle that would have hurt my baby I've accepted that nature has done this for a reason so I'm think I'm coping alright now..

Since then, my GP has put me through 3 blood tests to monitor the preg hormone levels, which has dropped considerably, so he has confirmed it was a missed miscarriage. For "treatment", the only option he has given me is a D&C..he has sent the referal to the hospital this afternoon. On the weekend, I started bleeding, so I'm hoping I will miscarry naturally..

So what I want to ask is - do I really need a D&C??? I really don't want to have it done - I've read up on it, and it seems to carry risks of uterine infections & scarring, which is something I definitely do not want! And seeing as I have started bleeding, it seems likely that I will miscarry naturally, right? I'm really confused, I don't know much about all this.. I'm thinking of finding another doctor to get a 2nd medical opinion..

Thanks in advance for your help

hI

Sorry for your loss

I too went through a missed m/c recently at 11 weeks 3 days

I went through the m/c naturally at home however it was really really hard with a toddler to look after

I would have rather the d # c so it would be over straight away

I have been m/c since fathers day and its still going on

take care of yourself

Im so sorry for your loss

Oh sweetheart I'm so sorry to hear that.

Basically no, you don't 'have' to have the D&C, if you are bleeding then your body should pass the bub. If the bleeding gets really heavy or prolonged or the cramping gets really bad, you should seek medical assistance though as your body might be having a bit of trouble on it's own.

I lost a bub after my first baby too, at 12 weeks. It never occurred to me that that might happen either. I'm currently losing another one and TBH even though this is my 3rd loss it still never occurred to me that it would happen. You have done nothing wrong.
    I have had both natural m/c and D&C and neither was any easier or better to deal with IYKWIM? Your heart's loss isn't physical so I found that I was better able to deal with the whole situation on the inside when I felt more at ease and in control with my decision.

Good luck, and welcome to BB. There is lots of support and understanding here.

Thank you all for your support

Kim - that's exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you! To me it just didn't make sense that I should go have a D&C when it appears my body is beginning to miscarry...thanks so much for your advice! Personally, I just want to wait it out and let my body do it's thing, with as little medical intervention as possible...