Thread: Unable to carry boys?

Little One Guest

Post Unable to carry boys?

Hi, I have a strange question to ask, that is has anyone heard of a condtion where a woman cannot carry baby boys?
    I have one daughter (whom I 'knew' was a girl as soon as I knew I was pregnant, even though deep down I'd wanted a boy first), and have had 4 miscarriages since. All the babies that I have miscarriaged I have 'thought' of them to be boys. I know thats nothing really to go by, but at this stage I'm keen to investigate everything! As 4 recurrent miscarriages at age 24 is pretty uncommon!

I've had a few tests done - blood conditions, TORCH screen, still waiting on chromosome analysis results of my husband and I. But nothing wrong showing up so far. Testing was done on one of my babies (after D&C) and nothing wrong was found (although couldn't do karotyping). I intend on asking my OB when I see him next what he thinks (4 weeks to wait yet). Last time I saw him, he said if the chromosome analysis comes back clear, then we're fine to just keep trying. I am a negative blood group, and my husband is positive (rhesus factor) but I've always had the shot after each miscarriage and my daughter was a negative blood group anyway.
    My mother had 2 baby boy stillborns (seperate pregnancies) at 20 & 25 weeks (this being about 35 years ago), and no reason was found why.

I've read a bit about chromosomal problems that can cause a woman to miscarry a male fetus if he inherits his mothers 'bad' X chromosome. Now I'm convinced we have to try for a girl next, as I am very scared of miscarrying again.

So please if anyone has heard of anything like this I'd love to hear about it, or if I'm just being crazy and holding onto false hope, also let me know

hi i can't offer any advice but wanted to elcome you to Belly belly and to ssay that i hope you find some answers soon

Hi Little1.....i can't offer any advice but i'm sorry to read about your miscarriages. I gave birth to my angel son who was born sleeping at 22 weeks, no reason found for his death. I suppose we will never know what actually went wrong. I would hate to think that its a chromosomal factor as I would love to have more boys. (by the way I'm negative blood group too)

Cieras mummy Guest

Hi there,
    I dont know what it is called but I once new a woman who could only carry female babies. Each time she had a child it was a girl, 3 in all ant the last was 16 years since the 2nd. She had several miscarriages in her time and thought the same thing, that she was only able to carry a girl.
    I am sorry that I can not give any further insight into this, and I am sorry to find you in this place under the circumstances that we are all here.
    I that you find the answers that you are looking for.
    Take care
    Kim

I too am sorry for your loss and hope you find the answers soon...

I do remember one of my mums friend when growing up who had many MC all boys and she had only two live births both were female.... It will be intrusing to know when you next ask your doctor...

HI little one - i asked the same question not too long ago.

I find it very interesting

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/misc...carry-boy.html

Little One Guest

Thanks everyone for your advice. I guess I'll have to wait and see what my OB says and whether there is any further testing to look into. Can't really see him being that open minded though.
    Kitt3n, I have read your old post which is very interesting, and I notice you are 17 weeks pregnant now- congratulations! Gives me some hope.
    What I have researched is about a condition called Skewed X inactivation. Which is passed down throught the mother. It means 50% of the time a male fetus will be miscarried (am not sure when in pregnancy this is meant to happen). I guess at this stage I am looking for answers, the doctors just tell me I've got one child so I can do it again.
    I once dreamt I had 2 girls, then 2 boys in my lifetime, so maybe thats whats meant to happen - thus us trying for a girl this time around (have been doing a lot of reading).
    Sues, I am so saddened by your loss. It must be worse that they cannot give you a reason why. I know it probably won't make you feel any better, but after my mum had her 2 still borns, she went on to have 4 healthy children, and I probably wouldn't be here today if her first 2 had lived (I'm child #3). Best of luck in the future.
    Thanks again.

Little 1.....Wishing you all the best too hun. I just wished there was no such thing as pregnancy loss/ misscariage, totally heart breaking

I was having this exact conversation with a friend yesterday.

both of us have 3 girls. She m/c'd one baby between her second and third daughters. I m/c'd 3 babies between my second and third daughters. Neither one of us had any problems with concieving or carrying our girls.

It would be interesting to know.