Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

monstermunch Guest

Thanks Mother Goose, I'm really nervous to be honest as the competition to get into Flinders this year is going to be fierce what with the new changes to the course and UNISA only offering it over three years.
    Haven't even bothered to apply to UNISA for mid as there is no way I can take 12 weeks off of the GNP for pracs, whereas with Flinders I can just do theory for the first year. Don't think I will stop feeling sick until Jan the 16th

monstermunch Guest

OMG OMG OMG I got into Midwifery, I am over the moon I am finally going to be living my dream! Only took me 15 years to get here

YAY!!! Congratulations hun. That's awesome news

monstermunch Guest

Thank you!

WOOHOO! Congratulations!

monstermunch Guest

Thanks Mother Goose

can someone please give me some links on how to become a birth attendant by correspondance? Being in country Victoria I think there could be a call for it.

Wow Suga, that is fantastic!!! I'm sure you wont regret the change! I'm doing Nursing atm, and I really am enjoying it... so hopefully you wont find it too bad in those couple of years it takes to get to do midwifery.
    Goodluck with everything, and keep us updated on how it is all going!

Yay Suga! I did nursing and love it. You could always look at the double nursing/mid degree (4 years as opposed to 3) which is done through UniSA. I'm not sure if Flinders offer it or not. Good luck with it!

MG

monstermunch Guest

Good Luck Suga,
    An old study buddy previously studied nursing about 10 years ago and wasn't concerned about her grades at the time and then she dropped out and had to start over but keep her old GPA, so it took her quite a while to get it half way decent. How bad is your GPA, it may not be as bad as you think?
    Anyway, good luck with everything

monstermunch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Suga View Post

So I assume that the GPA is course specific.... that if I do well in Nursing then this GPA will be independent of my previous GPA and I'll be able to use that to get into Midwifery.
    That would be great, not sure why they didn't do that with my friends GPA, I know she was fuming about the whole situation as the Uni wouldn't give her credit for the nursing courses she had already studied but still used her GPA, so her new GPA was added to the old one to average out a new one if you know what I mean, which I thought was extremely unfair. Hopefully they have changed the system now.
    Have you decided what you are going to do?

monstermunch Guest

Good for you, sounds like you have it all worked out

SamanthaP Guest

Hi Suga,

The GPA for Mid at UniSA this year was 5.83. It is slightly higher than last years.

Hello all,

I just thought I would pop in and actually post something rather than lurking.

I decided a couple of years ago that I want to be a nurse - I work in an office job and have done since leaving school, and I hate it. No interest in it and no job satisfaction for me... SO, I've applied for Nursing at uni a couple of times, but I must be so dodgy because I never get in!! I totally bottomed out in my HSC, so much so that I have considered doing my HSC again, but I am a bit too chiken for that.. I havent studied anything even remotely nursing related so maybe thats why.

Some of you mention the STAT test... Does it increase your chance of getting into uni if you do well on STAT but did really bad in year 12, or will it sort of just even it out and make not much difference? Does anyone know if they still use your yr 12 scores after 6 years of being out of school??

I REALLY want to apply for nursing at uni again, hopefully next year. Theres a really great nursing and midwifery program at one of the unis near me, but its very competitive to get in. My specific interst is midwifery but I dont think I will be able to get into it without doing at least some of a nursing degree beforehand since you need a much higher TER for it.

ok thats all. I'll just go back to lurking now I think.

monstermunch Guest

Hi Karina
    I'm pretty sure you would be considered a mature age student now as you have been out of the system so to speak for 6 years or so. Which means you can do a STAT test (in South Australia, not sure what the other states call their version), the results of the STAT test will be what the Uni/SATAC ( in SA) use to work out whether you are granted a place or not.
    Good luck with everything, I really hope you get in

Hi girls!

Just found this thread and thought i would post.

I have just started my Bachelor of Nursing this year. My goal is Midwifery! I first enrolled and was accepted in 2005 but had to defer cause i found out that i was pregnant with Briley. I got a letter from JCU last year asking if i wanted to continue with my enrollment. I ofcourse said yes. At the time my partner and i were actively TTC but did'nt think it would happen for ages. Boy were we wrong!! I found out i was pregnant a week or so later!

So now i am 22 weeks pregnant, have a 10 month old daughter and am studying. Its hard work but its the path i chose to take. My goal is VERY clear in my mind and i can't wait to reach it. Uni is quite draining. More so for me cause i am pregnant but its very time consuming.

I am very lucky to have a great support network. My grandmother watches Briley most days and my mum takes her on Fridays as this is her day off. I also have Brent's aunty and my sister if i need them. My IL's are going to be moving into our granny flat in the next few weeks (very scary!!!) so MIL will probably watch Briley from then on.

Nursing has been something that i have always wanted to do but never had the nerve to apply. I am very weird with sore's and stuff like that but i am willing to get past all that to be able to help bring someones child into this world. But more than that i think about what i will be able to offer say if i came across the scene of an accident or something like that. I am not sure how i would react now if something like that were to happen in front of me now. But will the Nursing skills behind me later i like to think that i would just go into auto-pilot and just help.

I say too anyone thinking about giving Nursing a go to have a good think. If you really think that Nursing is what you want too do then do it. You might regret it later on if you don't!

Monstermunch thanks for your advice. I am going to do STAT later in the year and then apply for Midwifery and Nursing and see if I get into either.

Sara, well done on getting into Nursing! I am like you - i never had the nerve to do it, but now i am so much more mature and keen than I ever was, and I regret not trying more to get in. Good luck with your studies

Hey - I'm a first year BMid student at UniSA and am so far thinking "yay I'm on my way" and "omg what have I gotten myself into" in roughly equal amounts . I look forward to getting to know you all!

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast