Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Nursing/Midwifery students (or wannabes LOL)....

Ambah, i'll probably go straight into FT. what do you mean by internal/external? Goodluck with your Prac! That's the one thing i'm really looking forward to if i get in.

With the STAT test i'm not really sure why some do both and some do one. I mean i never even did year 12 and i still only did the multiple choice one, so who knows.

Tegan - Internal is where you attend uni, and go to lectures/tutorials etc. External is where you study by correspondence.
    You might find the workload of 4 subjects (FT) a bit of a shock, especially when raising 2 little ones as well, but I wish you ALL the best! They give you a couple of months to pull out of any subjects you want (without academic penalty) if you find it is getting a bit much.
    I started off PT with two subjects, but for the past 2 semesters I have been doing 3 subjects (which is still classed as FT by Centrelink etc).
    Goodluck hun!

Good luck with your clinicals Ambah - remember to ask as many questions as you need to and don't be afraid to ask to be included in as many proceedures etc as possible. The more you learn on clinicals the better!

I'm starting clinicals too in a few wks, I'm quite scared but others in my course have said it's been really good, it's just best to get in there and ask lots of Q's, ask to do things and stay positive, and it's really good being able to sit down and talk to patients, sometimes it can make someone's day when the nurses are too busy for it.

PS Tegan, I know of a few women who have young children (under 3) who are studying FT, I'm in awe of them but it shows that if you really want to do something, you'll do it no matter what!You'll find that Universities have so many support programs in place, and they'll do anything to help you and make sure you're coping ok.

Good luck with your clinicals girls. I'm sure you'll do great.

Sweet.. I just checked with the uni I want to go to (UTS) and I only need to do the multiple choice STAT.

Theres a Nursing expo on in Sydney on sunday, so I might go to that and pick some brains there and get some booklets/brochures etc. hehe

Hi everyone

I have decided to apply to do a Bachelor of Nursing next year (through QUT here in Bris) I am going to go for full time, as I want to study at the campus that is close to home (caboolture) and they only offer the course in full time mode. I have already checked out the class timetables- you can access them online - so I have an idea of the amount of contact hours, which are going to be ok. I will have to attend uni every day (mon-fri) but only for a few hours each time, so that is definitely do-able. I am fairly confident of getting in, as I got a good OP when I finished school (10 years ago nearly OMG), and I have a Bachelor of Arts also. So in terms of actually going to uni, that doesn't worry me.

I guess part of me is thinking I must be mad to want to study full time with 3 kids! But at the same time I do really want to give it a go. Jump in at the deep end. Who else is studying full time with kids?
    Ambah - you go to QUT, what's it like? I will be at a different campus, but the subjects are all the same - how's the workload?

Hey Bon, good on you for applying!!
    Make sure you ask them about Graduate entry - you can shave a whole year (1st year) off the course if you have completed a Bachelor course within the last 10 years. (at least this is how I understand it!)

I will be honest and say that for me personally, fulltime load is quite stressful, and I only have one kid! But if you are very dedicated you should be able to get through ok. Also bear in mind for Fulltime you don't have to do 4 subjects... 3 subjects is still classed as fulltime - that is what I do atm, I don't think I could cope with 4!
    The subjects are pretty good though - some are fairly easy, and you don't need to spend anywhere near the recommended time on them each week, but others can be a fair bit more involved...
    Anyway, let me me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks for that Ambah. I did look at the Graduate Entry course - but the workload is crazy! You have to do 5 subjects per semester, your clinicals have to be done in semester break and there is no option for part time. Plus I would have to go to Gardens Point and/or Kelvin Grove every day, all day. So the hours don't suit either. It seems like they are just trying to cram 3 years work into 2. Also part of me thinks that an Arts degree isn't the best background for studying nursing. In the graduate course they cut out some subjects that seem to me to be quite important - like bioscience. When it comes to previous knowledge, I am in the same boat as someone straight out of school, so I figure it's better for me to start at the beginning and get the full degree.

I will definitely let you know when I have more questions

Wow Bon, I didn't realise it was that fullon - that IS crazy! And you definitely don't want to miss Bioscience 1... as it lays all of the foundations for the other Biosciences. Yeah I can definitely see why you would want to do the course from the beginning instead. I just had my 2 weeks prac, and there were a few poor Grad entry students who had another 2 weeks of prac on top of the first prac... so thats one month of fulltime prac - during the holidays. No way!!! LOL

How did you find the prac? That part makes me feel nervous - going to a real hospital and being part of everything. Did you have someone assigned to you to follow around?

My mum is a nurse, when she trained it was in the 70s at the Mater Hospital with the nuns. They did all their learning on the job - what an experience that would have been!

Well i didn't get into uni unfortunatly. They said that i didn't have a higher enough qualification, meaning year 12, yet they said in the beginning that i didn't need it! So not very happy about that. But next year i am going to apply for an enrolled nursing course at TAFE. Apparently they give you a job straight away and pay you full time.

in the meantime i'm going to do the birth attendent course at Sydney. It's 1 day a week and it's right near a train station so easy to get to.

Oh sorry you didn't get in Tegan - but if you do an enrolled nursing course, once you are finished you will probably be eligible for entry into the second year of the Bachelor of Nursing, if you still wanted to do it.

Tegan - I'm so sorry you didn't get in. Good on you for doing enrolled nursing though! Some hospitals (and lots of Aged Care Facilities) offer sponsership for enrolled nurses - so you can get paid and learn at the same time Maybe contact a few places in your area (or look on their websites) and see what they say?

Bon - good on you for deciding to apply! In regards to clinicals - you build up as you progress through your degree and will ALWAYS be assigned a supervisor (preceptor). You should never be asked or expected to do anything out of your qualifications (i.e. your first rotation you shouldn't be expected to give IM injections as you won't have the training). Generally, you start in a more observational/care giving role and build up to things like taking Obs, giving meds under supervision etc. Hope that makes sense!

MG

Aww sorry you didn't get in Tegan, but that is great that you are going to do the birth attendant course, and enrolled nursing!
    You know once you complete the enrolled nursing course, they will let you straight into uni, and I think it takes 1 year off the Bachelor of nursing.

Bon - I just finished my first prac, and it was pretty full on! My mistake though was being pg.... I had horrible morning sickness during prac, so it really put a dampner on it for me. What MG said is right, they will never ask you to do anything that you haven't learnt. If you feel uncomfortable about one of your skills it is very easy to say so, and someone will help you.
    I actually was thrown in the deepend on my prac though (or thats how I felt!) - first day, first morning on the wards, I was assigned to my buddy RN, and she said straight away to me, 'Ok, you can go and do all of Obs in this room whilst I go next door'. I nearly freaked, as its a huge difference doing them on sick patients compared to fellow students in the lab. But anyway, I jumped in there and did it, and I was amazed at how much better I felt for just getting in and doing it, rather than stressing about it for ages.

hello i'm a 1st year nursing student I noticed on qtac (as I was bored and looking at the different courses one day) that the qld uni of tech was offering as of next year a double degree nurs/midwif which goes for 4years I thought this was a great idea as so many of the students in my class are wanting to do midwifery but are unsure about the whole length of working before doing the midwifery degree I think some1 said it was 6m???
    anyway could b a good choice if that was the way you wanted to go

oooh - excited to see there are other people on BB who are studying nursing/midwifery.

I started my BN this year - I am studying externally through CQU and just part time. When I finish, I am eventually going to do the postgrad midwifery course. It will take me about 15 years by the time I get through what with planning to have more babies in the mean time but I am really loving it!!

I am studying anatomy and physiology ATM and it is so interesting!

Mumof5 - I think the time youhave to work depends on which postgrad course you want to enrol in. I have seen some master of midwifery courses that require 2 years FT work experience (or equivalent) The nursing/midwifery dual degree sounds great. If I lived in brisbane, I would be considering that.

The masters is different to the post-grad mid. post-grad is aimed at nurses wanting to get their mid quals. Masters is a higher level of learning and aimed at those with existing mid quals. Does that make sense?

The duration of post-grad mid does vary from Uni to Uni but in most instances, it is only 12 months (like most post-grad courses) unless doing it part time. Several Uni's now offer the combined nursing/mid degree (4 years) but I think you have to apply for that straight off - I don't know that you can do your degree (either mid or nursing) and then just add the extra year straight away. I think you have to complete your nursing/mid training then do your Grad year and then apply for the post grad course in mid/nursing (depending on what your initial training was) which is usually 12 months (although I think some Uni's do 2 years for post grad nursing). It is best to check it out with the Uni you are thinking of doing it with - remembering that for post grad courses you need to be working in the field so need to also gain employment with a hospital affiliated with the Uni you want to do your post grad at. If that doesn't make sense or you want to know more - just ask or PM and I will try to answer.

MG

Hey ladies,
    I have applyed to uac for enrollment to do my RN for next year..i am already an EN. i will have to commute for an hour to and from the campus that i will be attending. But it is alll for a good cause. i really want to do midwifery and this is the only way to get it..

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast