Thread: Studying with young child

Default Studying with young child

Before my holidays I was given a list of pool questions (about 50-60 questions) to study for the exam when we get back. I figured three weeks would be plenty of time.
    I have a 15mo and I work three days / week. I have one more week of holidays, then its exam time. I've only done the first 10 questions!!!
    How do you fit it all in?
    Natty still has two sleeps a day. In her morning sleep I'm usually catching up on housework, then I do my study during her afternoon sleep. But I'm thinking now I'm going to have to do it after dinner as well to catch up and I hate that - it is my downtime and my time with DH...
    When do you study?

I snatch time to study when I can - when Matilda is asleep and Grace is happy to play by herself for a while during the day I try to get as much done as I can. Or when the kids are occupied or watching tv...I just grab chances when they come up. I also don't like studying after dinner when the kids are in bed, but I have to sometimes just to get things done. I have been doing the bare minimum of housework lately - just the things that need to be done every day (dishes, washing, beds made, meals made). I would suggest you study during the first nap aswell - you can do housework when bub is awake, Matilda and Grace like to 'help' me when I do housework.

I'll be following this thread with interest. I'm study (partly) by correspondence and I haven't managed to get any time to myself. I find I need at least half an hour before I can really get into it, so quick snippets of time really don't work for me.

I'm looking forward to hearing lots of tips!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

I work everyday but Wednesday, but my schedule is work, home, cook, put Charlie to bed, then study. I get about an hour to two hours in every night. I finish up at 10.30ish and go snuggle with hubby.

Saturdays, DH and Charlie go out for breakfast and a visit to MIL while I study 10-12 in the morning, and Sundays I leave them in bed and head to the uni library for 3 hours.

That's pretty much how I manage to study and work and have a small baby. DH being supportive is very very important, and I could not do it without his help.

Thanks for the responses - I'm really interested to hear how people manage their time... I've never felt its something I'm particularly good at I'm pleased though that over the last couple of days I've managed to get nearly all the questions finished... Now I just have to remember the answers
    Looks like Natty is starting to ditch one of her day sleeps. Some days she'll have two, and others just the one. So, I think as a matter of necessity I'm going to take your advice Bon, and do the housework when she's awake.
    Rachel, I'm the same - I find I'm most productive if I have at least an hour.
    Wow Sushee, that sounds amazing. I would be a walking zombie if I did as much as you're doing. Good on you. And good on your DH too. It sounds like he's brilliant with Charlie.