Thread: The Elimination diet and failsafe eating.

Question The Elimination diet and failsafe eating.

Hi all,

I recently started my DS (9) on the Elimination Diet from the book Fed Up by Sue Dengate due to behavioural problems.

Has anyone tried this diet?

Would love to hear experiences - good or bad - regarding this.

Last edited by razzle; July 4th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.

Claire Guest

We went FAILSAFE to determine my son's ezcema triggers. I think just the break and the acupunture was enough for us to get it under control. Just from reading the book I learnt a lot and applied this to our life - we are happy being mostly FAILSAFE now.

It's very interesting isn't it?

We did the "friendly Food" by RPA, BUT its very similar to the Elimination Diet by Sue Dengate.

We did the same as Claire, in that we went chemical free at the same time & now our diets are 80% chemical free and preservative free, and now allergy free. 3 months on the Elimination diet we found our DD was severely allergic to cows milk, oats, bananas and almonds.

Its changed out lives. I've found that juice sets Matilda off. Even fresh squeezed juices, if there is apple juice or high concentration it sets her off. She's not allergic to the foods its just too much for her system. Peeled pear juice has been okay.... so I did that for a while & just took her off juice all together. She doesn't react to lemonaide (the natural confectionary company) but she does to fresh squeezed fruit juice. It was a very important discovery because I would use Juice as a "treat" for her & it turned out it was the worst thing I could do!! So I started using "chocolate rice milk" as a special drink or a lemonaide when we are out & other kids are getting milk shakes etc.... I opt for that as it doesn't set her off as juice does.

We are currently almost doing it as DD has ADHD and so far (it has been 8 days) she has been calmer and happier.

I have more or less avoided the preservatives from Sue Dengate's list for as long as the boys have been on solids. I'm also careful with sugar and salt. We had no specific behavioural issues to deal with, I just thought that it was a better option - to prevent rather than cure so to speak. The interesting thing is that they are allowed to eat "bad" foods on occassion, like birthday parties, and I can definitely see a big difference in their behaviour for a day or two afterwards. Yesterday was their 3rd party in three weeks and the boys have been monsters today. Very hyper and disobedient. There is no doubt in my mind, after watching this pattern over the last year or so, that the sugar and/or preservatives in the party foods does/do cause this behaviour.

Thanks ladies.

We have been doing the diet for 4 weeks now and are seeing some improvements. DS is much more co-operative and less argumentative than before. Although he hasn't been diagnosed I do feel that he has ODD - Oppositional Defiant Disorder. We have made a few mistakes with some ingredients so have had a couple of setbacks but all in all our house is definitely a much calmer place. The school holidays have just started so I've decided we will continue on the diet for the duration and then start challenges providing everything is going well once school goes back. The reason being is because I suspect that DS may have had some other foods at school.

The book has become my bible!! Everytime I read it I find something new. It is a bit of a process and I have had some people tell me that they have heard about it but wouldn't attempt it because they feel it would just be too hard. I don't think it is that difficult and after all it is so worth it!

I suppose we were already half way there though because we have avoided a lot of the preservatives and additives for some time now but I am thinking that DS might be intolerant to salicylates or amines, or both! Time will tell though. It will be great to be able to pinpoint the causes to some extent.

We have issues if we have too many high salicylate foods in a row. So if we have tomato based dinners 3 nights in a row.... whew the next day is a grumpy day in our house.

Also another thing we found was things were better when we alternated proteins.

Christy - I was thinking the other day about all the foods DS was eating before the diet, for instance what he took in his lunch box. Well, even though I would consider all the foods 'healthy' I realised that they were mostly high in salycilate content!! Not to mention all the vegies I would then give him at dinner time. It's so interesting.

Well DS has gone to stay with his nan and pop for a couple of days. I was a bit hesitant at first because of the diet but I sent along lots of failsafe food and the book as well!! On the upside, DF and I can eat whatever we like while he is gone. lol I am missing a few certain foods.
    Last edited by razzle; June 30th, 2008 at 11:31 AM.

Hi,
    I was doing GFCF since December last year but recently started the elimination diet with fantastic results.
    My daughter is diagnosed with Cerebral palsy, autism spectrum disorder and intellectual disability just to label a few of her issues. Since starting GFCF her behavioural problems reduced, her anxiety reduced, her communication increased and she can focus!!! and the best part she has only been sick twice in 6 months as opposed to sick every three weeks.

Since learning about Sue dengates book and seeing a dietician, we started the elimination diet and she is even better, I even have her almost toilet trained. My little miss is happy all the time.

On sunday we are starting the first challange - re introducing milk.

I am a little scared but hopeful we can keep the fantastic behaviour and reintroduce some foods.

This diet has made a huge change to my daughters life and in turn my life.

I am going to do the diet for myself one I sort out what my daughter can/can't eat.

I hope the diet is going well for you.

Sjl