Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Possible allergic reaction?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,235

    Default Possible allergic reaction?

    I just gave Alister a piece of bread, marg and vegemite for lunch and when I wiped his mouth he's got this red rash on his chin. He doesn't seem phased by it, and there is no swelling, but it definately wasn't there before he ate it. The only thing I can think of is it's a reaction to Preservative 202 - Potassium Sulphate in the margarine, which the fedupwithfoodallergies site says to avoid and can cause reactions in children. I think it is this because he has previously had the same brand of bread and vegemite before, but I used butter-butter and not marg in that instance.

    So how do I find out for sure and what do I do about it now, while he has this rash? it doesn't look as red now, but it looks a lot like lick-eczema does (red rash around mouth from dribble)


  2. #2
    morgan78 Guest

    Default

    Alex used to get the same things from eggs & it was more of an intolerance sign than allergy as he wolfs them down now

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    That sounds exactly the same as Jack used to get when he had food allergies. Really, the only way to know is to give it to him again (or wait months to get in with a paediatric allergist - when we had issues with Jack it was a minimum 12 months wait). Luckily it's a mild reaction, and quite possibly he will grow out of the allergy if that's what it is.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,235

    Default

    Thanks Melanie and Morgan. The rash is all but gone now, so it's come and gone pretty quickly. I've never had any of the other kids have a reaction to anything, so this is all new to me.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    11,468

    Default

    same thing happened when i gave sophie some chesse spread,

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Chickens.
    Posts
    4,996

    Default

    COuld also have been a reaction to yeast in vegemite - if it stays on their face for a little time then they can get a rash. My XDSD and DS1 have that issue.

  7. #7

    Default

    Hailey has had exactly same reaction a few times and I finally figured out (I think) that it was soy sauce although when she first had the reaction she didn't have soy sauce in her meal but must've had similar ingredient in whatever she was eating.....possibly reaction to high level of salt. It comes and goes so quick but comes out of no where and is really red and blotchy in the areas the food has touched her skin.

    All I've done is kept an eye on it and occasionally given her the food again to test the tolerance. It seems to come and go and hasn't got any worse.
    Last edited by ZigZag; April 16th, 2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Forestville NSW
    Posts
    9,031

    Default

    Sulphates are a well known allergen as well, BUT potassium sulphate is in many dried fruits as well, so if he doesn't react to them its something to just watch next time. Sulphates are known for being bad... scary stuff when you look into it more with skin & hair products. Vegemite is known to have a scary preservative as well, but thats one thing my girls don't react too as well as sulphates.....

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In Bankworld with Barbara
    Posts
    14,235

    Default

    Thanks again for the info everyone. I don't give him dried fruits (I barely give the kids sultana's, such is my worry about those). See, I was only thinking of the marg because he's had the vegemite before, but I suppose the first time could have been fine, and now he's had it again, it could be an intolerance happening. The Sulphur Dioxide (220 ) which is in vegemite is also a known allergen too. Also it has 150d, which is a colour (caramel) but there is nothing I can find out about that one, but other caramels are ones to avoid too.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cowtown
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    check whether there are preservatives in the bread, if the same one is in that then maybe thats not it, though some intolerances and allergies are cumulative, so a little bit may not cause a reaction where a lot can?
    DS gets contact rashes (the redness you are talking about) from tomato based products.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    On the other side of this screen!!!
    Posts
    11,157

    Default

    Sherie, don't forget that with food intolerances, it's often quantity-sensitive. So you might get away with eating half a banana with no problems, but eat three over two days and you get the rash. This is why it's so tricky to tell.

    Straight away I thought it could be the Vegemite - it is very rich in food chemicals (that's why it's so yummy) and when I was a child if I ate too much i'd get this burning sensation around my mouth. You won't really know though unless you remove all three things from his diet and then reintroduce each one, one at a time, for a couple of days. Bummer, really.

    ETA - don't forget there is a difference between and allergy and an intolerance. There's an excellent article by the RPAH here.
    Last edited by AnyDream; April 17th, 2008 at 01:20 PM.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    6,689

    Default

    Allergies are also the same, in that the first time or times that you have something you might not react, but as you become more exposed, at some point the allergy will appear. I think Jack is allergic to sulphates - he used to react to yoghurts with fruit in (we thought it was dairy at first). Now he doesn't, but he has reacted quite badly to Bactrim antibiotics which has suplhates too. And the reaction Jack had to the yoghurts with fruit was just as you described - it came up quickly then disappeared quite quickly. Interestingly it happened the first time he had a dairy yoghurt with fruit, but took a few weeks before he had the same reaction with soy yoghurts with fruit. And also interestingly, he can eat sultanas with no problem and even dried apricots (although I don't give them to him often).

Similar Threads

  1. Allergic reaction
    By snowchickie79 in forum Pregnancy - Second Trimester General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2008, 06:48 PM
  2. Bee Sting Allergies
    By Krisvee in forum Teenager General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: March 27th, 2007, 10:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •