Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: brachial plexus palsy or erb's palsy?

I don't know. I'm not very computer literate, I only know the basic stuff.

ok it probably is on ur computer !! just thought might be easier to chat on there than in this thread!!

Just asked DH. He had a look but said we have to set it up properly first. But it would be a lot easier. I'll let you know when it's set up. For now I have to go to bed cause I start work at 7 tomorrow.

Talk to you later.

ok cool

oh u poor thing where do u work? i thought everything was closed for good friday

I've set up my msn. Did you get my message?

Poor Danielle's been having a rough day. Whenever she gets some more movement in her arm she also seems to get a lot of pain. At least that's what I think it is, because she can't tell me. She was crying and grabbing at her arm. I gave her some panadol and it seemed to help. I wish there was more I could do for her.

Alisha Guest

Default My lil boy has just had a nerve graph

Hi,
    My lil boys name is Cody and he is 6 months old (was born 19/9/07). 3 weeks ago he had a nerve graph to fix his shoulder. He was 9lb 2 born and was a forseps delivery. His left shoulder got stuck during the delivery and the doctor basically just yanked him out and damaged his shoulder. We were told his arm would be normal in 6 weeks. At 4 months he could only just move his elbow when laying down but still had no shoulder movement. Upon agreeing to his surgery we were led to believe it was a pretty common surgery but none of the nurses looking after him had seen a surgery like this. The surgeon took a nerve out of each calf and placed them in his ahoulder. The surgery took 6 hours and when we saw Cody for the first time after surgery in the ICU he looked in so much pain. 3 weeks on and Cody still has no movement. the surgery doesnt garuantee Cody will get full movement back and we will have to wait 6-12 months to see just what movement he will get. No parents should have to go through this. Surely there is some way to prevent this from happening. Does anyone no what can or could have been done to prevent this from happening again?

Hi Alisha
    Sorry that you have to be going through this. It is so hard having to watch the poor little ones going through such a difficult surgery. It's sounds like the same surgery that DD had. Don't panic yet if Cody doesn't haven't any movement. DD didn't have her arm out of the sling for 4 weeks. She took another couple of months just to get back to where she was before the surgery. It's been nearly 2 years now and we are still seeing improvements.
    As for what we can do to stop it, I really think it comes down to awareness. It seems there are many Dr's who just don't know how to handle shoulder dystocia.
    Keep us updated on how Cody's going and I'm here if you need to chat.

1st off hello,

I know this is an old thread but had to post.

I have 3 kids none of them have erb's palsy...........but I do.

I was born in 1975 and had shoulder dystocia, which turned into erb's. I have total feeling in my arm but do not have full rotation.

I guess for me being born so long ago there was no surgery for me, I just wore the brace as a child. By the time I had enquired about trying to fix it in my teens was too late. The dr's said it was possible but the recovery would have been years and I woulda been in massive pain so not worth it.

I just felt the need to post as somebody who has it but grew up with it.
    I'm up to chat if anyone has questions.

Hi Aylilth

Thanks for posting, I've never really spoken to anyone who grew up with Erb's. I guess my biggest question is, does your arm ever cause you pain? It's hard because sometimes Danielle mentions pain, but then can't elaborate so I don't know how she is feeling. If it does cause pain, what helps?

Thanks for sharing ur story Aylilth, i guess my only question is when u were growing up did ur arm effect u playing sports?

Hi Tenille, hope ur all well

1st off very sorry it's taken me so long to reply My hubby did something with our ISP and we were w/o for a bit there

@Captain it does cause me mild pain from time to time, mostly when trying to put my hair back. Tho I have noticed recently sometimes I will get just a spasm pain. I also haven't had anything "done" with my arm as well. Just the brace when I was born and nothing since.

@*EmJa it did affect some sports, like vollyball never tried tennis. I grew up in Canada and I did play Ice Hockey w/o and difficulties infact I was on a 'AA' team I also did play baseball as well, had no prob's riding a bike.

Basicly I guess I have adapted with the cards I was delt with as there are always ways around it if you are determined. I will add tho because for 30+years of overcompansating with my left arm there have been minor difficulties. My left arm has carpel tunnel but this was caused by a job I had with repetive motions all the time, tho I guess I prob would have happened eventually

If there is anything else lemme know......if u wanna chat on msn or email it's [email protected] just add somethinmg so I know who it is. Cheers

There was a story in Woman's Day April 20, 2009 edition on a young girl with Erb's palsy. It sounds like she has had a rough time, and had to have operations later, but might give you some ideas of what can be done if you have ongoing issues.

Hi

Sorry to drag an old thread up yet again, but I have just found this.

My son has Erbs Pasly as a result of shoulder dystocia. He is currently 10 months old and at 5 months had surgery to repair 4 damaged nerves. He had the surgery at RCH Melbourne.

We have seen great recovery, although now the other arm is displaying the palsy position, which is concerning

He has a very long way to go, and every time I see the older kids there for the clinic I get a pang of saddness, as I worry thats going to be us in 10 years time

Hope to be able to chat to a few other mums whos kiddies have this condition

Hi Musolissa

Your definately welcome to chat. I've always found it really helpful to chat with other mums who are going through this. I was just thinking that next week it will be 3 years since Danielle had her nerve graft surgery. I still get pangs of sadness about how the whole thing will affect her, but it has certainly gotten easier. It is amazing how well Danielle has learnt to adapt, and so many people don't even realize there is an injury.

I'll be here if you have any questions.

Default erbs, bracheal plexus injury

Hello. This is an old thread i know... but its the only place i can find info on this topic. My son has a bracheal plexus injury affecting both arms. (cant lift up or out) Im told it can not be repaired with surgery and will not improve with time. I would love to hear from others who have been through this. We are in Perth.

Hi Jaybee
    Sorry to hear you're going through this. How old is your son? I'm in Perth too, are you going through PMH? It can be hard to find a lot of info and it can be hard to get answers from the doctors. Ask away with questions and I'll help where I can.

My best friend has erbs palsy. Similar thing she was too big to fit through the birth canal.
    Her right arm is littler than the other one and a bit deformed. She can move her whole arm up and down but can't lift it over her head or straighten it.

She lives a normal life with it though and has learnt ways to do her etc, make up, paint her nails etc.
    She also was a swimmer at the paraolympic in sydney.
    She has had heaps of ops and grafts etc on her arm. She often says, if they'd (her parents) just left it and didn't worry about the operations it would have been better as now she has more problems with her back and shoulders where they operated.

Default brachial plexus

Wahoo...this thread is still going

Captain- You are soooo right about getting answers from doctors! They are so vauge!! My son is 14 months old, ten months corrected. This is crazy but unlike most erbs palsy bubs who are generally either big or full term (from what i have read) My little guy was 690 grams... And he got stuck! Yep we go to PMH, we see Dr Page. I was/am devasted when told nothing at all can be done. (maybe ops in the future but thats just to relieve pressure on joints not fix nerves) I have made an appoint too see Dr Alison privatley just to get more info on all this.(am hoping he not so vauge??) Are there many other erbs children in Perth? Support groups etc? my email [email protected] if you free to catch up let me know!
    Thankyou Jennjorja for sharing about your friend, its positive to know she is carrying on as normal. I cant help but go through all the things in my head by son will not be able to do which i know is the wrong attitude... Guess this is all still very new.
    We had always known something was wrong but only offically diagnosed last fri.... hence my crazy woman babble! (im still digesting all this)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast