Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: brachial plexus palsy or erb's palsy?

If it's only just being diagnosed I image you have heaps to digest. There are no support groups as such in Perth. I was going to organise a get together, but it kind of fell through when I was pg with DD2 and I've lost contact with a lot of the mums. Dr Allison isn't much better than Page when it comes to answers. They both did the surgery on Danielle. He is good though, just make sure you take a list of your questions and keep asking. Are they saying no to the surgery because of his age? There are a few little ones around with erbs, but most heal quite well in the first year only a small percent have long term problems. I'm on a time limit atm (DH is waiting for me) but I will email you later and we can organise to meet up.

Hi Jaybee, sorry to hear ur going through this, its all abit overwhelming to deal with at first. i had never heard of erbs palsy till my DD was born. she is 2.5yrs now and is going really well now, we also see Dr Page, as Tenille said make sure u ask alot of questions cos he isnt a big talker!!

we r probably quiet lucky with DD as she hasnt had any surgery yet and at our last visit we were told if she keeps going the way she is now there will be no need for any surgery and we wont have to go back for any appts.

wishing u all the best and we are here if u need a chat

I guess if its something they have grown up with they don't know any different and will find ways to do things...as strange as they may look to use...

Smile

Hi all,
    Firstly this is a great site, has been a really good source for info. My daughter suffered a shoulder dystocia birth on July 2nd, her partner and I were both present. It was her first child and what should have been a wonderful occassion turned into the scariest day for all of us. He was 4440g, and when he became stuck so too did his cord. When he was finally delivered it took 2mins to get his heart going and 15 mins before he breathed on his own. He was raced up to PMH and was kept cold (on ice) for 72 hours, to reduce the risk of brain damage. Pulling him out also ruptured C5,C6 and the suprascapular nerves in his neck leaving him with a paralysed arm, however he has hand and wrist movement.
    At 3 months old he underwent 6 hours of nerve graft surgery taking the sural nerves from both calfs and grafting them to the ruptured nerves in his neck. 4 weeks on now and he has more shoulder movement and resistence, but still can't lift his arm or bend it. Really interested in knowing how other children that have had this surgery are doing now. He is such a happy and bright little man, and doing all the normal things bubs of his age do. Long story i know, however I feel the more we share, the more informed we are, the less alone we feel.

Hi nana carol

sorry haven't been on here for ages and had missed your post. Sorry to hear you had to go through this. How is everything going now?

After the surgery it took months to start seeing results. For Danielle the first 2 months she actually had less movement, but then slowly began improving. It's been nearly 4 years now since her surgery (wow, I can't believe how fast it's gone). D just had a check up and Dr Page is happy with her progress. She can't completely straighten her arm, turn it over so it is palm up or use her wrist. But thanks to the surgery she can use her bicep. The biggest concern as she was growing was the shoulder joint. Thankfully by sticking with her physio we avoided having more surgery.

Anyway, I'm going to try and get on here more often if you want to chat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123