Thread: Brain Athropy??

Ohio_Mommy87 Guest

Question Brain Athropy??

My daughter Emily was born a year ago today. She was induced on the due date. When she was born, they didn't let me see her, they ran over to the table and started oxygen, and I was really worried. They said she had a irregular heart beat and stuck her on a Apnea Monitor. She was on the monitor for a month, maybe a little longer.

My mom started noticing things in Emmy that I didn't notice myself. She said that Emmy looked floppy. So we took her to the family Dr. He tried something known as a pinch test on Emmy's legs, Well he had my sister in law pinch her so that Emmy wouldn't trust the Dr for the rest of the visit. Emmy didn't feel my sister in law pinching her at all. She didn't move, or blink or anything at the pinches. The dr scheduled a MRI at Children's Hospital, and scheduled Physical Therapy.

Emmy went to her Physical Therapy, and didn't want to go to the Nurse. She cried the whole visit. The Nurse did get Emmy to go to her, and said that Emmy has the Physical Strength as a 6 month old baby. (This visit was a week ago, Emmy was 11 months old at the time.) The Nurse wants Emmy to come back every week for Physical Therapy.

Then came the MRI. Emmy done well with falling asleep and getting the MRI done. So I thought everything was looking good.. ... Well the Test results came in yesterday. The Nurse said that Emmy has Brain Atrophy. She didn't explain what Brain Atrophy was... So here I am worried to death..

Can you guys please help me understand?

I hope you find some answers soon.

i havent heard of it . have you looked for it on the web ?? you must get more answers ...:hugs: i hope you find some soon

atrophy means wasting or smaller in size than average. it is what they observed on the MRI, but the MRI can't say what the cause is, or what the effect will be for your little girl.

have you been referred to another doctor, a pediatric doctor, or are more tests planned?

the doctor should be able to explain more what the results found and how it relates to your little girl. write down all the questions that you have, bc it is hard to remember them during an appointment.

is she having physical therapy with the nurse, or a physiotherapist? physio can be really great to help your little girl reach her milestones.

Happy Birthday to her too!

take care,

kate

Brain Atrophy is extremely vague, I have heard of cerebral atrophy which is related to the brain but not brain atrophy. Usually cerebral atrophy is caused by a disease like epilepsy or multiple sclerosis. I only know this because my mother had epilepsy and my grandmother had MS. Have they said what is causing the Brain Atrophy? Sorry I can't be more helpful, I hope you can get some more answers soon

Ohio_Mommy87 Guest

I'm sorry about not getting back to you guys any faster.

My sister in law called Emily's family doctor to set up appointment with him, so he could sit us down and talk about brain atrophy and how it was effecting Emily. So we were really excited that someone had some information on Brain Atrophy and how we could hurry and get her the help she needed.

We got to the appointment, and sat down in the room waiting. Her doctor came in and said "Now why are you guys here.".. My heart stopped I was so shocked. I said "We're here to talk about Emily's Brain Atrophy. The doctor didn't know anything about Emily having Brain atrophy. So here we are again, Not knowing what we can do.

Yes she has started her therapy. She's doing well with it, and has started making changes already.

Thank you for your help guys.

Oh, that is so disappointing. I hope that you can find someone who can explain what is happening.

that's great that therapy is making a difference.

take care,

kate