Thread: development of an almost 9mth old

Red face development of an almost 9mth old

ok so dds development is pretty much normal.. she started crawling a few weeks ago and is now trying to pull herself up. she usually responds to her name and has learnt to give kisses.. there are just a few things that concern me (probably paranoia but still).
    she babbles dadadada and no other words she seemed to be getting close to a few words but now nothing? dosnt say dadada as much recently either.
    she shakes her head (as if saying no) randomly for no apparant reason should i be concerned about that? also she scrapes her nails on fabricks when she is tired kinda closing her hand on it if that makes sence kinda like clapping one hand but scratching the fabric.
    shes not great with new people, she was fine as a young baby but now shes more difficult with people she dosnt know well..
    after working in special needs for such a long time before having dd i think ive just become paranoid but i would be interested in anyones opinions..

Noni, she sounds perfectly normal, stop worrying!!!!!!

W only said mamama and bububub for ages until a week ago (so 8 months 3 weeks) when he suddenly started with dadadad and nanana.
    Heaps of bubs around this age have a problem with new people, they can get really clingy. At playcenter today there was an 11 month old girl and every time her mum left her she would cry and crawl as fast as she could chasing her mum.
    W also likes to scratch fabric, his favorite is the laundry hamper because it makes a good sound. If she does it mostly when she is tired then it is probably just a tired sign.
    The only one I would worry about is the head shaking, which she could just be doing because she can. Does she pull her ears at all? Might be worth getting a quick check of her ears next time you are near a doctor just to rule out infection.

You are doing a great job and I am sure Miss A is a happy, healthy, perfectly normal little girl.

Just chiming in to what Artichim's saying, we had a scratcher/grabber here, I think it's just to feel different textures. And our oldest is 20months and still doesn't really speak (though his comprehension is excellent). I think it's just different personalities, apparently as a kid I hardly spoke and you can't shut me up now. :P

As for the head shaking, our oldest still does that, I think it's just fun for him! He also would do it when he had an earache from teething, so as Arti says, keep an eye on your bub and if you see her upset and pulling her ears and producing heaps of earwax maybe get it checked out.

Just chiming in to what Artichim's saying, we had a scratcher/grabber here, I think it's just to feel different textures. And our oldest is 20months and still doesn't really speak (though his comprehension is excellent). I think it's just different personalities, apparently as a kid I hardly spoke and you can't shut me up now. :P

As for the head shaking, our oldest still does that, I think it's just fun for him! He also would do it when he had an earache from teething, so as Arti says, keep an eye on your bub and if you see her upset and pulling her ears and producing heaps of earwax maybe get it checked out.

My DD does ALL those things (including the head shaking) and I think it's all quite normal.

thanks heaps guys i am feeling much better now

Noni- Asha is perfectly normal and your a wonderful mum

If your DD has a problem then so does mine! She sounds exactly the same, although DD doesn't say any words yet, just babbles! I think they are probably both just fine.

Gosh Noni, when you read the extensive list on what bubs should be doing at a certain age, you are bound to end up stressed! Caden sounds so similar to your gal, including the "raking" of fingers on the carpet. Apparently this is something that they do and I was worried until I read it in one of my baby books.

She sounds so perfectly normal, almost textbook!