Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

i think at 7 months we were still dropping a meal here and there, or just having cruskits or a banana for dinner as she wasnt to interested in that meal. but now she kicks up a fuss if im even half an hour later with food!! lol
    Breakfast at 8am, lunch at 12.30pm and Dinner at 5.30pm, and she nearly always has two courses...Breakfast was poached egg on toast folowed by banana, lunch was tuna & sweetcorn sandwiches followed by grapes. Dinner shepards pie followed by yoghurt with chopped prunes mixed in.

Georgi sorry I didn't reply sooner, I have been away. Ashton has the whole banana, I peel it half way and he peels the rest while he eats it

MISSYMOO That's ok. Thanks. BJ seems to be coping well with banana now. I just split it in three

EEJ Occaisionally BJ won't have lunch cause he's sleeping. I'll just give him a few mouthfuls of yoghurt when he wakes cause I don't want to ruin his next bf. But other than that, I'm pretty stringent on it. I get worried he won't sleep at night if he misses his dinner. I reckon he could easily skip breaky, he's not a big eater in the mornings

MUMMYT Someone else on here (i can't remember who) made a comment that they didn't like their coat as the food still gets on their clothes. I was then thinking it would be a waste of money, but I guess it must be different brands cause this one really is great. $19.95 but $10 postage. So I reckon it's too expensive. But I also bought a messy mat so that kinda broke up the postage fee IYKWIM.

BECKOES I think i've said this before, but gees your DD is a good eater. Have you been doing BLS right from the start?

TANYA BJ does that too. Shoves EVERYTHING in his mouth until it starts falling out LOL. It's so funny to watch. He use to gag when he did it, but not anymore.

ALYSSASMum Lol, it's funny to see all the food up their nose hey. Avocado is always a good one hehehe

NAGROMEYK Those elderly people probably thought Kye was heaps older than that anyway, cause he's so big

JENNIFER Are those homemade potato chips cooked in the oven? Is that what you mean?

I am struggling to get the veges cooked right to make it easy fto eat. How do you cook your broccoli & carrots? I tried in the microwave but they seemed too hard. How long should I cook them for?

Just a quickie ...

Georgi - I steam them the old fashioned way on the stove - use a piece for a tester and keep testing it with a fork until it feels just right - then you know how long to cook the next lot for etc.

Zander not interested much today - avo on cruskit - some crumpet for brekky, he just had a few mouthfuls of yogurt for dinner - but we all have days like that I spose.

Georgi, re the chips: DP does them two ways, cuts them into wedges and bakes them in the oven (skins on) or we have a deep fryer, so we cut them into fries and deep fry them in vegetable oil. Much healthier than going out and buying chips!

Georgi, she is a good eater...so am i ! DH always laughs "like mother like daughter"! We started with spoon food for a week or so at about 5 months, was ok till the novolty wore off, then she wouldnt have a bar of it so we tried BLS, havent looked back!!
    As for cooking veggies, i either steam or if im in a bit of a rush il boil them, but i try not todo that way. i can never get carrot right, i doesnt seen to go the right texture for when they are just starting out so i would only give it her in things...like cooked in the oven in a casarole, then it goes nice and soft.
    Got some nice eggs from the market so had scrambled eggs with some sweetcorn and pieces of chopped up tortilla mixed through...get the carbs in to fill her up.lol. no second course today. which probably means a three course lunch! some times i cant keep up and he looks at me like 'whats next' thats when i make pancakes....even she cant manage many of those!!
    A friend told me that her dd used to be like that...would eat enythingand every thing,but now doesnt eat alot and is a bit picky...so im making the most of it while it lasts!! She is still only 8kgs!!!

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A WONDERFUL MOTHERS DAY!

BECKOES Thanks for that. It makes me feel better knowing that I"m not the only one that can't get the veges right. I find it easiest to use puree on his pasta. That way he sucks it all off. Plus, there's plenty of veges in that zucchini bake so that's good. I'm gonna make that again today

JENNIFER Wedges in the oven are a great idea. I'm gonna give that a go

SAMI How's Zanders eating been going the past few days? How does he like the yoghurt? BJ loves it now. I reckon he's eat the whole tub if i'd let him

We went to dinner last night so it was the first time we've sat at the dinner table & ate with Byron. We booked for 5pm so BJ could still get to bed by 7pm. It was really nice. I took chicken, avocado & cucumber for BJ while we ate Thai. We got a few pics too.

Ups and downs really Georgi - yoghurt still has the horror face but he opens his mouth a few times as I am giving it to him and he has his own spoon too. Tried some diced peach yesterday and he gummed it and it fell out again However I have noticed he always reaches for the broccoli first at meal time over carrot and snowpeas/beans etc - but he still is not actually eating much at all.

I again tried some weetbix this morning no go - porridge no go.

So, Q for you ladies - what else do you give your bubs for brekky that isn't toast/muffin/crumpet like that he can still feed himself? - anything cereal like you can think of??? I dont really want him to have toast for brekky every day - would like to try and get him eating some kind of cereal. Oh, and not fruit either - something a bit more substantial ... thanks in advance

Sami: pancakes were a fav here when she couldnt eat toast and didnt like porridge. i would cut a banana or a strawberry in to thinish rounds, coat them in think pancake batter and lightly pan fry. we would both have them when i made them cause they are so yum!! or cherrioes if im having them, only ilet them go abit soggier for her. she liked them a few times. scrambled eggs are a fave, or i chuck whatever i have in the fride in and make a bit of an omlette, this morning it was pasta teddies left over from last nights dinner! lol, she didnt mind. if ive had a shocker of a night and cant be inventive its banana on toast! lol . HTH

There's nothing wrong with giving vegies, rice or any other types of food for breakfast either. It's only in Western countries that we associate breakfast with bread, toast, pancakes, etc. Give him whatever you think he likes for breakfast and let him eat that (imagine how jealous all the mums of non-vegie eating kids are when your DS will happily have them for breakfast, lunch and dinner!). Rice is probably the best substitute for cereal.

Hi all!

I have been reading for a while and thought I'd jump in!

Jennifer-Great suggestions re what breaky foods to give! I'm always stuck for ideas that are "breakfast foods" as toast seems to bind DS up too much. Tomrrow he is getting vegies!!

Just a question about when you go out for lunch/to someone else's place. Do you just take the same thing they eat at home? The reason I ask is, I think I would be a bit embarassed at the amount of mess DS would leave on their floor. Any suggestions??

Maya loves avocado on cruskits but I ran out of avocado so I put yoghurt on cruskits today and that was a hit. She won't eat yoghurt from the spoon but she happily ate it on the cruskits. I've also tried watermelon and cucumber but she sucks on them and spits them out. Oh and today I tried pear but it was way too slippery for her to pick up.. so she just chased it around and around her tray.

hippiemummy - I was also wondering what people do when they go out. Maya makes such a mess I'm not sure how to feed her when out.

I'm also finding it really hard to clean the high chair straps!! They get filthy and they are made of material and very hard to get clean.

Oh .. and today Maya learnt how to do raspberries.. whilst eating! So food flying everywhere.

We're off our food But I think it is because some teeth are ready to cut! At least I am hoping so because there seems to be so many signs pointing in that direction!

Breakfast ideas - With the cereal it might be the way it is prepared too. We have weetbix most mornings but it is different each morning. One morning we do it as per usual with milk, the next warm mush in the microwave, the next morning we put apple puree through it (gotta taste nicer, surely?) hot or cold, the next morning we'll put just a tiny bit of milk on it so that he can pick it up and munch on it, sometimes we do it dipped in yoghurt. The other mornings are usually toast or eggs.

Here is the list of breakfast ideas in "Baby-led Weaning" book

• Fresh Fruit
    • Porridge, also can add stewed or grated apples or pears, blackberries or blueberries, raisins, dride apricots, dates, cranberries or figs. Fruit puree, freshly ground nuts or sunflower seeds or strawberries can be added at the table.
    • Natural yoghurt with fresh fruit or berries stirred. Something babies love to watch and participate in. Or dip pieces of fresh fruit in the yoghurt.
    • Scrambled egg (well cooked)
    • Cereal - with or without milk. Some babies love dry cereal. Mini wheats, weet-bix, cornflakes and rice bubbles tend to have less sugar and salt.
    • Toast, oat cakes or rice cakes spread with peanut butterm cream cheese, or 100% fruit spread
    • Baked beans on toast
    • Cheese on toast

Easy to carry foods that aren't too messy are things like fruit, vege sticks, cold cooked vegies, sandwiches, cheese, pasta salad or cold pasta, yoghurt, avocado or hummous dips to use with vege sticks, cruskits etc, rice cakes with or without spreads, dried fruits (in moderation), dry cereal.

I don't worry about the mess when I go out. I warn people if I am at their house though and I always just clean it up afterwards no matter where I am. I have gotten over the embarassment, although I would be very embarassed if I left without attempting to clean up. I know you can buy mess mats to put down, or even a plastic table cloth so you can just fold it up and clean it out when you get home. We often spread a couple of serviettes out underneath his chair when we are in cafes or restaurants and then the clean up is fairly easy. Just a few ideas. HTH

Tanya - Jett liked doing raspberries for a while too! It's a great look wearing all that food spatter!! Oh and I love your picture of Maya in your ticker!

Hey HIPPYMUMMY.. Haven't seen you round for a while. Welcome

We've been out a couple of times & I have just cleaned up afterwards. Though you can
    put an old muslin wrap under the highchair so you can just pick it up & shake it off then nappy san it when you get home.

I pretty much take what we have at home. Yesterday, I just chopped up fruit before we left & gave that to him. The day before, I took a chicken tenderloin, cucumber sticks & avocado wedges. Again, I just picked up the mess & I take pine o clean wipes with us so I can clean the tray before & after.

TANYA I find with the cucumber it's best to cut the skin off rather than peel it. Cut it close to the seeds. That way you get most of the hard stuff off which is easier for them to eat. KWIM? I totally agree with the high chair straps. It's a PIA. I wash them in the sink which is easy ATM cause I'm using one of those booster style chairs that strap to your dining chair. Though I just put it on the floor which is good cause when he drops his food it doesn't splatter too much. We have an ikea chair but it's in Sydney. We're gonna bring it home with us in June when we go down

MUMMYTUMMY Gosh, let's not talk about teeth cutting. BJ has been a nightmare the past week or so. His top tooth cut yesterday & the other is just about to. He doesn't go off his solids though, only his milk. He has only been having 5 x 6 min BF a day

SAMI I give BJ cruskits with avo for breaky sometimes. I guess it's similar to toast.

I made more zucchini slice yesterday, though I put it in a muffin tray. BJ had 2 for dinner last night with a 1/4 avocado

Jennifer: your so right, i always think 'icant give her that, its not very 'breakfasty' but shes not going to care if she has shepards pie for breakfast!! lol in india they all eat curry type things for breakfast!!

Hi guys, haven't posted for a while but have been lurking.

Logan is going really well at the moment, but he will not eat porridge or cereal either.
    I found a great recipe for banana and pear pikelets that i made today and he loved them.

1 cup SR flour
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3/4 cup milk
    40g melted butter
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 large banana mashed
    1 pear cored and finely diced.

Mix dry ingredients and make a well in the middle, add wet ingredients and whisk until smooth Stir through the fruit and cook tablespoons of mixture in a fry pan for 1 - 2 mins on each side.

These are so yummy - the original recipe had sugar in but with the fruit I didn't think it was needed. This could be an alternative for brekky I also found yoghurt with apple puree mixed through to be a huge hit.

It's great to hear everyone's stories, you are all doing so well.

Kylie - I made K pikelets for brekky this morning too He had the equivalent of about half a decent sized one + some pear pieces, didnt seem too interested this morning. Might try the pear and banana ones, they sound nice!

Hi All,

Kylie-They sound yum!!

I'm after some ideas....DS won't eat. It has gotten worse over the past week, where he has two mouthfuls and just screams (I've been offering finger food and mush). I don't know if he is in pain, or he is full (I highly doubt because he eats heaps normally) I just don't know. So this morning we went back to mush and he happily ate pureed pears.
    Do I just keep persisting, I'm sick of preparing 5 different things for each meal and to have him eat nothing!!!

Sorry for the vent, I just don't know what is happening with him!

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast