Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

Tanya - that's awesome! Make sure you report back as I'm sure we'll all be interested on what they had to say.

I went to the talk yesterday on BLS run by a local council and it was really good! I wish my council had run something like that! I think every council should run it. I didn't know about BLS back when Maya was much younger and it would have been great to go to something like that before Maya started solids.

What I really liked is that they weren't pushing BLS on people, just telling people what it is, how it works, how to do it and what the benefits are. Oh and also discussed people's fears of BLS. They said there's no reason to start with pureeds - no research has been done to support offering pureed food. And they also said that there's been no research done into starting by offering one food at a time.

I got a handout which I saw is a print out from wikipedia. If you are interested in the article go to wikipedia and search for Baby-led weaning.

Sounds great Tanya!

Does anyone else find it odd watching other people spoon feed puree/mush to their bubs now? I can't seem to get over how it doesn't look 'right' to me anymore! (Not that I'm criticising their choice, just how it's something I'm really not familiar with). I've watched DD feed herself for her entire life, so the idea that we'd do it for her is a bit odd. Grandma/MIL tried to feed her something on her fork last week and I told her she was perfectly capable of feeding herself!

I've got a couple of questions:

1. When did you give your baby a bowl or plate? I put Maya's food on the tray of her high chair. But should I be giving her a bowl or plate instead? I have tried a couple of times and she sucks on the bowl instead of eating the food.
    2. Maya eats quickly to begin with and then slows down but continues to shove food in so that at some point her mouth is full. Then she just stops eating but has a mouth full of food. I assume it's when she's no longer hungry but is still interested in putting food in her mouth. I'm not sure what to do about it. I try leaving her in her high chair until she finishes it. But she will get annoyed and can sit there for a very very very long time without any progress on the food but getting very frustrated. I worry about taking her off to play with a mouth full of food. Isn't it a choking hazard? Any ideas?

Thanks.

TANYA There's no way BJ would eat off a plate. Like Maya, he would pick it up & try to chew on it. He also fills his mouth right up & doesn't swallow. Though he doesn't keep it there as long as Maya does, by the sound of it. Have you tried giving her some water in a sippy cup? That's what I do. It helps him swallow it, or spit it out. I know it sounds a bit daunting, that it might force the food down & choke, but it hasn't done that to BJ at all. Hopefully someone else will have some advice for you

Tanya - are you in Kingston? I went to their talk just before MJ started solids and although i was already leaning to BLS, it convinced me!

MJ started using a bowl and plate at about 8-10mths i think - and alot when on the floor, but like with everthing she understood after a while... it is a messy way of feeding but so much fun!
    I wouldnt let her get down with a mouthful, i would let MJ spit the food into my hand, she soon understood how much to put in so that she could chew it. Its a bit of a stage i think...

Jennifer - i cringe when friends tell me how they have started on farex... and yep its a weird concept to me really, seems so much more natural this way

Georgi - yeah I have tried giving her water in a sippy cup but when her mouth is that full she can't even sip the water. LOL

Sammiejane - I'm just outside of Kingston. But I am now going to a health centre in Kingston because my local one is terrible! So yes the BLS talk was at Kingston.

How did you teach MJ to spit food out?? Maya doens't know to do that. She'll just sit there and sit there and sit there.. with her mouth full to the brim. Neither chewing nor swallowing nor spitting anything out. She goes all quiet and sits there. Then gets frustrated. Usually I eventually stick my finger in her mouth and scoop the food out (which she really hates and I think is a horrible thing to do but don't know what else to do).

The other interesting thing is - she doesn't do it with all foods. Only some foods. So some meals she will eat until she's had enough and then either play with her food or push it away. But with some foods she'll just keep shoving it in there until her mouth is really full and she probably can't chew at that point.

Hey Everyone!

Sorry I have been MIA! I have gone back to work and so any spare time I have I spend with Jett which leaves little or no time for BB

Jennifer - I agree with you about watching people spoon feed mush. I get quite fidgety - I just want to tell them to let them have a go themselves!!

Tanya - I give Jett a bowl or plate most meals. His bowl is a suction one which just didn't work when we first began, but now he understands what the bowl is for it is just great. I started using a melamine plate but found that he found it much easier to use one of the ceramic plates we use. It is heavier so it doesn't slide around so it is easier for him to pick the food from it. After a while he starts to lift it and drop it which is his signal for when he is full enough to just keep picking and playing. At that point I just slide the food from the plat on to his tray and leave him to it.

I have no real suggestion about the mouth filling - maybe it is just a phase and eventually she will figure it out? What are the foods that she always tends to do it with? Does she chew and swallow any of that type of food or just fill her mouth from the get-go?

I have recently bought a full childrens cutlery set for Jett in stainless steel (I find the plastic ones just seem a bit light) and have it sitting there for his meals. That way when he is ready to start copying Mum and Dad he has the implements at hand. He confidently uses a spoon already, but still finds the fingers far more rewarding!! Especially with yoghurt and sloppy foods! Lots of fun! I still love watching him eat and discover food and feeding himself. He just has an absolute ball. He now weighs over 10kgs, which makes him in the 'average' range for weight. Considering when we started solids he was on about the 5th percentile! BLS has been an absolute success for us and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone to try!

I also caught up with a friend the other night who I hadn't seen for quite sometime. She has a baby boy about 2 months younger than Jett. He is her second child. When we said that we just feed Jett what we have she started chopping it up in to small pieces until I said no, he has it the same way we do too. It really piqued her interest because she is still feeding puree and making it all herself, and her DS didn't seem all that interested in eating. She hated every minute of it and was so over it. She decided then and there after I explained all about BLS to put some of the roast on his tray and leave him to it while we ate. He had a blast and ate everything on the tray so she had to give him more. She couldn't believe it and couldn't stop thanking me for telling her about it. She had never seen him that interested and he is also in the 'underweight' category, so she is thinking that this might catch him up a bit. She was just so greatful, she would never have known about it if we hadn't gone round for dinner. Just made me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Good for you!

It's so heartening to show someone a better way, isn't it? Must have been very exciting to see him clean it all up!

MUMMYT That's a really fab story. Thanks for sharing. It great to hear those things

TANYA I bet you can't help but laugh at Maya when she does that. I tend to have a giggle when I read your posts. She's so cute

BJ is just loving his food atm. It seems that he can't get enough. Although I gave him some plain meatballs yesterday that he just didn't really hoe into like he normally does. I still have leftovers today so i'll try again, maybe he just wasn't real hungry at the time.

Hi - I'm completely new to this thread. I haven't read back sorry (there's a lot there to read lol), so forgive my ignorance .

DS is 5 months today, and after a discussion with the child health nurse, we are thinking that he may be ready for solids. He is showing all the signs - particularly in that he is waking up a lot more through the night and wanting to feed much more often. I keep reading that 6 months is about the time to start, but DS really seems ready now... so we're going to give it a shot.

The child health nurse mentioned something to start him on, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was - it was a word I hadn't heard before. Is there a food that is recommended to start bubs on? I'm so new to this, it's quite overwhelming all the information that's out there.
    Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated .

Hi Sterla,

Your health nurse probably suggested Farex - baby rice cereal. This thread is Baby-Led Solids thread which goes down a different path of feeding to that recommended by most MCHN. BLS is about giving your baby the same food that you eat and letting them feed themselves right from the start. That's it in a nutshell anyway, there is a little more to it than that. It isn't the kind of feeding that is for everyone, but I know I can personally recommend it and everyone else in here probably does too. But it is something you really need to do your research on to feel comfortable with because it isn't the 'norm'. Have a read back through our threads for a starting point!

I can tell you how we started on BLS though. Jett was about 5.5 months, same deal as you, wanted more and more feeds that persisted over a week, was totally interested in grabbing the food off our plates and shovelling it in to his mouth and putting our spoons in to his mouth too. So I started before the recommended 6 months, but I have no doubt that I actually started at the right time for him, he has not looked back since. I started by cutting carrots in to fingers and steaming them so that they still held their form when he was holding them but they were soft enough for him to suck. I tried this with a few vegetables and he just loved these interesting tasting toys!! A couple of weeks later he hit 6 months and I just started giving him a little bit of everything we ate in a shape that was easy for him to hold. This also included meat, not just fruit and vegies which is the food path you will be recommended to follow by the MCHN. He has not looked back since, and as per my post above he started off on about the 5th percentile and is now around the 50th and is just loving his food!! The babies get a great sense of empowerment for being able to control their intake of food, by holding it and feeding themselves. It is a very messy experience, but it is nothing that can't be cleaned up and the kids seem to have a ball, even if they don't seem to eat much. And of course the mantra here is "Food is for fun until they are one" meaning that their milk is still the most important nutritional food they can have until they turn one. So the emphasis is not how much they eat, but trying the foods and learning about the tastes and textures themselves. It should be a positive experience for both Mum and Bub. Jett is currently learning about gravity with his food!! Anything he has had enough of gets held over the edge of the high chair and he drops it and watches to see what happens when it hits the floor!! We are lucky, we have a furry vaccuum cleaner that comes in and cleans the floor after he has finished!!

I know there is more to tell you about this, but I have to get back to work.... maybe someone else can tell you their story and fill in the gaps I have missed!

Thank you so much for your reply MummyTummy

I'm sorry, I didn't even know there were so many different ways of starting solids! It's great . I'll definitely have a read through BLS.

Thanks again for your reply.

Hi girls!! I'm new to this thread - I just have a couple of questions!

I understand this thread is about BLS. We just started our 5.5mth old DD on mashed banana and baby rice cereal and she's being spoon fed. She loves it!! Took to it really well and enjoyed it. 3 days now. I'm interested in doing BLS also but not quite yet.... I don't feel she's ready for that. Is it possible to do a combo of spoon fed purees and also some BLS aswell in a few weeks time?? Do people do that?

There is soooo much info on solids it's all a bit confusing what to do!!!

This week and next week we are just going to focus on pureed and spoon fed though.... banana, apple, pear and sweet potato. But maybe in 2-3 weeks time we could offer her some cut up foods aswell and do some BLS?? How do i know she is ready though?

Sterla - You are very welcome. Yes BLS is not widely known, so unless you hear about it you generally won't know it is possible.

Shanti - Welcome! What an interesting question "How do I know if she is ready?" The answer is YES she is ready. She is ready as soon as she starts solids. If you have started her on spoon feeding and she is taking to that well, then she is ready to try BLS. BLS is recommended from 6 months, but I started at 5.5 months and yes you can do spoon feeding and BLS if you want, but only because that is your decision to make and you have to do what makes you comfortable. But please don't base it all on your little girl and wondering if she is ready because babies love to do things for themselves and love to play with their food and feed themselves and they are very capable of doing it. If they can lift a toy to their mouths to suck on it they know exactly what to do with a steamed carrot finger. Hand-eye coordination is developed and they even learn to chew very soon after starting, something that spoon fed babies don't. They learn fantastic fine motor skills by learning how to handle their food and what grasp works best with which food. They enjoy eating the same things you do at a pace that suits them. Spoon feeding tends to override this which leads to an increased chance of fussiness later as they try to assert their independence.

Another plus is not worrying about pureeing food, or carrying around little jars with you. When we go out Jett just has some of the food from my plate, so we both win, he enjoys the same food as me and I don't eat as much

Sterla and Shanti - A good book to read on BLS is "Baby-led Weaning" by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett. I got my copy from the Australian Breastfeeding Association, but my friend saw it in Borders also so you should be able to find it out there. The library may have a copy also. A really good read because it explains it all so well and really gave me the confidence to trust myself and DS with feeding the BLS way. Feel free to ask any questions you have because starting solids is a bit daunting!

Hi STERLA & SHANTI (new name hey Ren lol) - This is how we started BLS. DS started at 4.5months corrected age, 6 months actual age, on Farex. We started very very slow as I wasn't keen on starting him, just felt pressured by DH & our GP also suggested we start. He was only having a quarter of a teaspoon to start. Once he hit 6 months corrected I started puree fruit & vege. I had read about BLS & stalked this thread so I begun giving him soft fruit to hold & feed himself as his dessert after I spoon fed him. Then, he begun to refuse the puree & spoonfeeding. So that's how our full time BLS began. It was very difficult at first as he was gagging alot on his food & it FREAKED me out. Though all the ladies in here reassured me it was ok & he would get over it... Which he did in just a couple of weeks. But as he was refusing to be spoonfed, I had no choice but to persist. He wasn't eating anyway! Things improved very quickly & it wasn't long before he was eating chicken tenderloins. I still prepare foods that are easier for him to eat, like rissoles, pasta & things he can pick up easily, but both DH & I love the fact he can sit in his high chair & just eat & eat & eat.

So that's our story...

Thanks MT & Georgi for your posts

I think we'll stick with what feels right for the next 2 weeks and that is... purees and spoon feeding and then (in 2wks time) after each spoon feed we might offer a soft piece of fruit (small pieces) or steamed vege like broccoli that she can pick up herself. That's a good idea. See where that leads us.... DD picks up toys with both hands and brings them to her mouth so after what i've just read perhaps she is ready! Thanks! But for now... I do enjoy spoon feeding her

SHANTI You are best off to give her fruit cut lengthways to start with. It's too hard for them to pick up small peices. I'm sure you've seen the pics of BJ (on FB) eating long peices of cucumber & rockmelon, they were his first BLS foods. With the cucumber, just cut off the skin close to the seeds, it's really easy for them to eat. He never gagged on cucmber seeds. Good luck. You'll see BJ in action on Sat. I'll bring his lunch along

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast