Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

missymoo- i think you are still welcome- at least i hope so- coz i am doing both too!!

I have stopped all jar food as such- but for breakie i still occassionally give him the farex with fruit that i use a spoon with or weetbix- which today i let him eat with his hand and a spoon- and he did well- but till today i used just a spoon- and yogurt i use a spoon. But like you i totally follow his lead- and if he is "over it" i dont push it. i think any experimenting with BLS is welcome here

Quote Originally Posted by ~StarBright~ View Post
    But like you i totally follow his lead- and if he is "over it" i dont push it. i think any experimenting with BLS is welcome here
    Thats pretty much the point of BLS, the reasn that you let them feed themselves is that they know when they are full or had enough. If you bubba is turning its head, pushing you away etc etc its not a behavioral thing, they are full or have had enought of what ever is in front of them. Spoon feeding teaches them that they MUST eat what is in front of them and by partaking in the pushing of foods, it can become a game or a habit and then you are setting yourself up for food refusal and chasing your baby to eat.
    If they dont want it, dont force the issue... if its a food that they normally eat and now dont want it, well there could be something in it that they dont need or want any more... MJ now rarely touches broccoli, but when we first started it was a fav... i dont push the issue, its still there on her plate, but she just takes it out of her bowl and puts it n her tray! (along with the other things that she has chosen not to eat.)

With the runny foods like yoghurt, try loading the spoon and then letting your bubba feed itself with the spoon... or if you are really game, let them put their hands in it. Its mega messy, but it helps with the learning.
    MJ was rarely ever 'fed' with a spoon (usually if we were out somewhere and i couldnt give her finger foods) and as a result she is using a spoon and fork now and it is more predominant than finger feeding - not bad for 13 months old!

to the other girls

Sami, try not to worry, its awful when they seem not to be taking loads of food, but it will happen.
    If he cracks it going into the h/c i wouldnt push the point, he will just end up hating it and associating meal time with being forced to sit somewhere he doesnt want to.
    Some other girls have used bumbo's the other thing is the older style car seats, just the booster with no back, could you sit him in one of those and do meal time in it for now.
    If he will only take food from you hand, well, thats ok isnt it? bit more time consuming, but if it works ? i am sure that once he gets the hang of it he will be scofing it down in no time.

At 8 mths MJ still want consuming loads and most of it went in and out of the month loads...

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

todays lunch consisted of broccolli and cauliflower cheese nuggets i made....and grated apple mixed with yog, which she ate really easily with her hands! and is now using as hair gell....

how do you make cauliflower and cheese nuggets?

about the homemade hair gel!! Maybe you should bottle it, you could make a fortune!!

MissyMoo, I have no problem with you staying in here! All BLS experience is welcome.

I want to know how to make the nuggets as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sammiejane View Post
    Spoon feeding teaches them that they MUST eat what is in front of them and by partaking in the pushing of foods, it can become a game or a habit and then you are setting yourself up for food refusal and chasing your baby to eat.
    If they dont want it, dont force the issue... if its a food that they normally eat and now dont want it, well there could be something in it that they dont need or want any more
    I am quite interested in where you got that info from? I never force Ash to eat what is on his spoon. If he turns his head or pouts his lips I don't force it in his mouth. How is spoon feeding teaching them they MUST eat it?

I really don't like this "I do it better than you and my way is better than yours" attitude that's coming across.

Ashton had macoroni cheese and tuna and corn for lunch. He loved it... I didn't love the nappy that came out!

oh Mel.. i hear ya on the nappies.. ewww.. just ewww.

Mia tried Zuchini last night, loved it

Missymoo - please dont take my comments as an attack on the methods that you use to feed Ashton, they are not. Also the comments were in respones to another post...
    Quote Originally Posted by missymoo84 View Post
    I really don't like this "I do it better than you and my way is better than yours" attitude that's coming across.
    I dont think that i do it better than you, however this is a BSL thread and i am only giving suggestions to others, to assist... spoon feeding is not part of BLS and is discouraged, i am not saying that you are wrong by doing it, but i feel that if we are having a discussion on how to do BLS we should have give our comments and suggestions on how to do it iykwim. In saying this, please dont think that i am saying that you are not welcome in here either.

I will see if i can find some of the research and post it in here if you are interested, i am off to work now, so it will be later

Again i apologise if you took my comments as an attack, they were not directed at you and certainly were not an attack on you or anyone...

Hi all

Hollye - Miss M loves Zucchini as well. Tonight she will be having sausages and vegies for dinner - cos thats what we are having She is just having her brekkie now - vegemite on toast and half a banana Although currently most of it is sitting on the floor where she has thrown it!!! lol

Missy Mel - I'm sure Sammie didn't mean it like that babe

ETA - SJ - you crept in whilst I wasn't lookin

As mentioned before, this is a BLS thread and any discussion of why alternatives may work better in some situations is not appropriate in this thread.

Please leave all debates of BLS vs other methods off this thread.

This does not include not posting information as to the benefits of BLS, which is allowed as long as there is no reference to individual members and their choices.

If any debate continues then the poster will be infracted and the post removed.

If you do not feel comfortable posting in this thread as you are no longer exclusively following BLS, then you are welcome to join our Starting Solids thread or start a new thread of your own.

If you have any queries about this issue, please PM myself or another mod.

got the recipe for the nuggets off the 'wholesome baby food' web site....from memory though....

500g broccoli/cauliflower, cooked and diced
    1 cup bread crumbs (although i used 2 as it was abit wet)
    1 1/2 cup grated cheese
    3 eggs or 5 egg yolks(could use fruit/veg puree to bind together)
    seasoning (not salt)...herbs etc, i think i used parsley and garlic.

mix,make in to nugget shapes and bake till golden.(170 for 25 mins)

she LOVES them, to heat them up the next day i put a little extra sliver of cheese ontop and grilled! the rest i put in the freezer

That looks great Bec. Might have to try it soon! I am guessing it would freeze ok too?

im the worlds worst cook....married to a chef so im lucky he does most the cooking!! but now, with grace eating propper food, ive had to start to learn! these were SO easy! which is my fave type! lol they froze fine for me, and she still ate them this arvo!! im going to try to make quiche tomorrow! alittle more ambitious!

You sound like me Bec, only I'm not married to a chef!! But DH does most of the cooking, but I'm doing a little more for Jett. I made a vegetable frittata the other night which was easy too.

OMG - I wasn't ready for Logan's first real "solids" poo!!! Very messy and stinky! Not only was it all over him, but me too LOL. At least we have the evidence that food is making it in (especially the kiwi fruit pips).

ROFL Kylie!

My favourite is corn. Does anything actually get absorbed by the body, 'cause it always came out in DD's nappy looking EXACTLY the same! I used a knife to cut it away from the cob and she'd munch it down with fingers and then a spoon once she was capable.

There's a great recipe around her somewhere for cheese and creamed corn muffins that were always very popular with DD as a baby, and easy to make.

I can probably remember, actually (it was that easy!):

1 can creamed corn
    Fill the empty can with grated cheese
    Fill the empty can with self raising flour
    Mix all ingredients together and form into muffins
    Cook for about 15 mins (? I think, but you can keep an eye on them to make sure!).

You can also add herbs, bacon and other ingredients, whatever takes your fancy. Make the muffins baby-hand sized and they'll pull them apart themselves.

Jennifer that sounds so easy I will have to try that...along with the nuggets!

Emily had mandarin yest and loved it! She has also been eating ravioli..thanks for the tips girls I get lots of good ideas from here!

These recipes are great!! Love the food ideas!

Can I ask what everyone's policy is about when your LO throws food on the floor? I have just been picking it up and putting it back on Peter's tray (assuming its not gross or anything). But I think he is starting to do it on purpose, especially if its a food he isn't too keen on at first sight (but he will often try it later if I put it back on).

I'm wary of this becoming a game. And my back is hurting!! How many times do you guys pick up? When do you think it becomes just a fun game for your LO??

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast