Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

Thanks girls. I totally agree with everything you have all said. There's NO WAY I am going to give her chocolate or cut down breast feeds!

I must say though that I have struggled A LOT with the fact that she was on the 90th percentile at birth and is now on the 3rd percentile. I've felt like it's my fault somehow - like my supply hasn't been good enough or something.

Anyway, I ended up taking Maya to a paediatrician at 6 months and we went back for a check up today. Today she said she's very happy with how Maya is doing. She's meeting milestones and smiling away! Oh and I told her what the MCHN had said about giving Maya chocolate and that Maya is iron deficient and will be developmentally slow. The DR was appalled that anyone would say any of those things. She said exactly all the things you guys have said 1) b/f babies aren't iron deficient 2) you don't give chocolate to a baby and 3) b/f is their main source of nutrition until they are one. Oh and Sami I asked about BLS and she was all for it! So there you go. I think the moral of the story is.. don't listen to MCHN who don't know what they are talking about!

I just caught up on this thread and Tanya I can't believe that MCHN!! I personally would be making a complaint against her, she either needs to get out of the business or into some study. Lucky you have BB and your paed to help you process this and realise/confirm that you were given the wrong advice by her, but what about all the other people who are scared and unsure and just believe what the professionals tell them?

FWIW I had similar issues with Jett putting on weight. He was born somewhere above 50th % but while exclusively BF he dropped right down to the bottom. I constantly swung from in control to doubting myself, and I always doubted myself when a 'professional' would drop a comment. Lucky my regular MCHN is really good and kept me level headed, and she tends to be up to date with her information so I don't think I ever got steered in the wrong direction with her. There were just the odd other professionals that I saw that would make me doubt what I was doing. And I did also feel guilty - how could he be born above average and then drop his weight right down?

But now that Jett has taken to solids his weight is steadily climbing - which also makes me feel guilty - perhaps I really wasn't giving him enough!! But I realise that there is no point in beating myself up about it because I wasn't doing it deliberately and I did monitor the situation closely so I wasn't unaware of what was going on, and he was meeting all his developmental milestones at the right times. I think it all comes down to every baby is different and they all learn and grow at different rates. So 'normal' can only relate to what is 'normal' for your child and you as Mum are in the best position to judge that.

Oh and I am glad your paed is all for BLS - I love it when they are like that! I told one MCHN about us doing it and she was absolutely delighted and couldn't praise me enough for following it. Then I told my usual MCHN about it, and she knew a little but not alot and was keen to learn more so wrote down the book that I have and where else to find out the info. So there are good ones out there, which is why you should make a complaint, to save the other Mums and bubs and also to try and get a better MCHN in your area.

Tanya, that is such good news that your paed was able to reassure you that you are doing all the right things (which we already knew ). Well done hun. Birth weight often has no correlation to genetic weight, so it is quite usual for babies to go from the top of the charts to the bottom. I'm glad that you are relaxed about it now.

hi girls - back and happy again

Had nutritionist appt yesterday for Zander, and she poo-poo'ed what the MCHn said to me the other day too about Zander and his iron levels etc. She said she was confident that even with sucking all the food that he is he would be abosrbing some, and even got out the breastfeeding growth charts to plot him on, not the blue book formula fed bub ones - she was on the ball .

Re BLS she advised strongly against me trying to go back to rice cereal and puree stuff cos he has moved on from that (never was there LOL) and just to continue doing what I am doing - especially cos I have offered him a wide range of things in accordance with whatever our family was eaten. Only thing I have to remember is the meat component like slow cooker stuff and chops with handles and drumsticks with the needle bone taken out etc - so I left feeling very light and happy again about his food.

Then last night he ate a tablespoon of my soup again, then chomped some sprial pasta with grated cheese - not much went down but he was happy chewing, then he had 2 tspns of yoghurt - so something has gone in.

He is so happy to do the whole finger food thing - BUT he will be going into child care 2 days a week from August and I spoke to them today about his eating - they have centre policy not to give babies under 1 the toddler food - so I am hoping he has worked up his intake by then - will have to see, and as for b/f - he doesnt take a bottle at all so will have to think about that too i spose.

It's so hard sometimes hey!

I made those corn and sr flour and cheese mini muffins - I liked em and Zander sucked on them if nothing else LOL.

SamiH - So glad you found a great nutritionist that really does seem to be on the ball. It makes a world of difference.

I started childcare last week with Jett and they are more than happy to let Jett feed himself the main menu items, on my permission only and only if he has tried every ingredient in those dishes first at home with no reaction. If you really want Zander to eat the toddler food then you may be able to discuss this further with them? It does sound a little bit narrow-minded to me, but I suppose they have their reasons, but maybe they could make an exception for you because as far as I know they like to follow what you do at home with them. Just a thought anyway.

Can I please get all your opinions on TOMATOE??? I hear it's too acidic to give to babies. Should it be cooked first?

SAMI & TANYA So glad to hear you have both come across some decent professionals!

MUMMYT I am wondering if that book on BLS, that you have, has recepies or food ideas?

Sami, that's great news that you have had even more reassurance.

WRT day care, if they won't let your DS have the toddler food, then you can always send your own food and tell them to feed him that instead. Also, don't worry about a bottle. Neither of my boys drank from a bottle but happily drank EBM from a sippy cup at day care. They were both able to drink from sippy cups from around 3 or 4 months, and I introduced straw cups not much later. So there are some options for you. And even if you don't have much luck at home, they are more likely to drink when they are thirsty and you're not there. So don't worry hun.

Georgi - Jett loves tomatoes! Funny cos neither DH or myself like them! But he will happily slurp away until it is all gone. I think it depends on your bub. Some babies do find the high acidity an issue and become quite unsettled or often get a rash around the mouth, but then others like Jett have no issues. So my opinion is give it a go and watch for any reactions! It is the same with citrus fruits.

The book I have has food ideas, such as the out and about food ideas I mentioned earlier, but not really recipes. It actually says that it doesn't deliberately, and from memory I think the reasons were that there are other books available with food ideas, and BLS is all about giving your bubs the same food that you are making for yourself. As long as you are eating good healthy food then it should be just perfect for bub. So have a look on the net, or through your own recipe books and find some ideas that sound yummy to you and go to town. Remember that bubs need to learn about a lot of different tastes and textures so you shouldn't need to modify too much for bubs.

Speaking of textures - Jett was given soup today at childcare. I was a bit concerned when they said it was soup fo lunch. I really didn't want him to be spoon-fed, but wasn't sure how else he was going to eat it. But luckily the carer had the great idea of putting lots of bread in there as that is what she did with soup when her kids were learning how to feed themselves. Apparently he had a ball getting his hands in there and squishing and squeezing... and he ate heaps of it too! So there is another idea for everyone - soup is not off the menu!!

MummyTummy - The paediatrician is going to make a complaint against the MCHN. The doctor was appalled by the things she said. Since then I have found out that the MCHN has said the same or similar things to other mothers! I've heard quite a few stories now of breast fed babies who don't gain much weight. Now I'm starting to finally think that maybe that's just normal! Oh and the paediatrician wrote me the most wonderful letter. She knows how worried I've been about Maya and she wrote a letter to remind me that Maya is doing fantastically well and what a great job I'm doing. How nice is that.

Georgi - I've offered Maya tomato now - both cooked and raw and she hasn't had a problem with it. I think it would be fine to give it a go.

I've noticed that a lot of you are cooking with eggs in recipes. Did you give your babies egg to try first? I've read that some babies have bad reactions to eggs. So I wasn't sure if I had to offer it on it's own first or not.

MUMMYT - DH & I eat very plain. Mainly cause DH doesn't like ANYTHING! We normally have grilled steak with salad or chicken stir fry with crappy jar sauces so I wouldn't want BJ having such a boring diet. Plus, he eats earlier than us so I am happy to prepare his meals seperately, but I do run out of ideas. Good idea to look into normal cook books something so simple, why didn't I think of that. Thanks for the info on tomatoes. I will try them tomorrow

TANYA -That's also good to know Maya has tried tomatoes. I first tried BJ on eggs in that zucchini slice that I make so he wouldn't of eaten a whole egg, then just kept an eye on him. OMG, how nice is your paed to write that letter. Wow, i'm impressed

BJ is now getting so much more effecient at eating. He now finishes his meals in around 30mins, sometimes less At the moment he's loving the spiral pasta that I use pureed veges as the sauce then grate some cheese through it. He gobbles it all up so fast! He's also LOVING yoghurt now. So funny, considering he gagged so badly when he first tried it.

I made those pancakes last night, ready for breaky this morning, but poor BJ didn't get any breaky. He has been off his milk a little. He didn't have much for his two feeds last night, then slept all night and hardly had any when he woke up, at 7am. So I decided not to give him breaky in hope that he'll have his milk. He had a good feed next time so he got lunch. I think he made up for it at dinner tonight anyway. He ate his pasta with vege sauce & avocado, plus half a pear! Now I hope he'll have his milk before bed tonight

ETA: WHAT ABOUT BEETROOT? CAN ANYONE SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE?
    Last edited by Georgi; May 22nd, 2009 at 06:09 PM. Reason: forgot to ask something

I tried to post the other day but couldn't get the post reply button to work!

Georgi - you can always prepare your meals and then take a portion and put in the fridge or freezer for BJ to have the next night. That way you aren't making anything extra or separate at the time. You may already be doing this...

As for beetroot, I have to admit that isn't something I have tried. But I read somewhere that you could try roasting it? My opinion is just try it, don't try anything new that day and just see how he goes.

I hope BJ is back on to his milk and solids by now!

Tanya - You sound like you have a wonderful and very sensible paed. That letter is probably something most mums need every now and then. If only you could nominate her for some award for going above and beyond her job! And also for making a complaint against your MCHN. I still can't get over that, and as I suspected you are not the only one she is saying it too. Just too too too scary!

As for eggs, we first tried it as scrambled eggs. I think it doesn't matter if you try it on its own or in a recipe for the first time, as long as it is well cooked (no runny whites or yolks) and you introduce it on a day where you don't introduce anything else that is new you should be fine. As for bad reactions, it is like all the other "risky" food. Do your research and decide for yourself whether you think early or late introduction is the way to go for you. I personally believe that if there is no direct allergies in the family (direct being Mum, dad or sibling only) then it is fine to introduce at a time that suits you. Others of course believe in waiting until they are older, but only you can decide what is right for your child.

Ok, I had better run. I am at work so have to make sure I get something done today, although I know I would much rather hang around on BB all day!!

MJ has had some beetroot in a juice that i made.
    If you are going to try just remember that it stains everything, and i am not referring to outside, poo can be a reddish colour and can look like there is blood in it - so dont freak out

SAMMIE Good tip about the beetroot staining. I didn't think of that

MUMMYT Yes, I am making up BJ's meals & freezing them. Or, I'll give him the same meal a few days in a row

I gave BJ some tomatoe on Saturday, and he was fine. He liked it too

I have some new recipies..... BJ loves them

Salmon (or tuna) Patties
    (these are the ingredients I used but really you could use any veges)

3 x 85g tin Salmon in spring water
    1 med Sweet potato (boiled then mashed with a little milk)
    1 cup breadcrumbs
    1 egg
    1 carrot grated
    1/2 onion grated

Combine all ingredients & roll into finger patties, bake at 180 degrees for 30mins or until golden brown

Beef Rissoles

250g mince beef
    1 carrot grated
    1/2 onion grated
    1/2cup bread crumbs
    1 egg

Combine all ingredients & roll into finger patties, bake at 180 degrees for 30mins or until golden brown

I gave BJ some wholemeal crumpet this morning. With a bit of butter & vegemite. He didn't seem to like it very much. I'm not too sure whether he just wasn't hungry. I took it away & offered some banana, which he ate, then some avocado, which he ate most of. So I guess he didn't like the cumpet. I will try again though. He also wasn't keen on Philly cream cheese on cruskit. I gave this to him for lunch today. He ate it, but didn't chow it down like he does with avo on cruskit. Maybe he's just having an off day.

Georgi - Those recipes look good. I'll have to try them.

MummyTummy - Thanks for the tip of scrambling eggs. I gave that a go and there was no reaction. So I assume that means Maya is fine with eggs.

Maya has been quite sick over the last few days and was a bit off her food, but now she suddenly seems to be eating more than she did before she was sick! Last night I cooked up a batch of lentil and meat hotpot that's in the Baby Love book cos it sounded so yum! I added some veges to it. Then today Maya and I ate it for lunch mixed with rice. It was a bit hard for her to eat with her hands though and it ended up everywhere - she probably ate 10% and the other 90% was all over her, the chair and the floor. But she had fun.

She seems to be chewing a bit more now, though she tends to shove too much into her mouth still and then can't chew!

Georgi - Those recipes do sound good! I like the finger sized bits too - good thinking 99!

SJ - Good tip, must remember that if I ever feed him beetroot!

We tried couscous tonight - he tried some of it, but most of it ended up on the table, high chair, floor... etc. He also had some roasted potato and he kinda licked at the beef schnitzel bit I gave him.

We had tinned soup for tea last night and DH's had some large pasta tubes in it. We gave Liam some and he demolished about 5 of them! Loved it! We're just giving him a bit of everything we eat now and he tries most things, but still doesn't eat heaps. However, I've noticed a change lately - he will eat first, play later. He used to play first then try and eat. So maybe we ARE getting somewhere!!

I made the banana and pear piklets (sorry can't remember who posted the recipe) and Maya loved them. I also made the zucchini slice (thanks Georgi , which is yum but I haven't given it to Maya yet. That'll be her dinner tonight.

I am making salmon cakes tonight too .... I am not doing f/t BLS - more try to give him some food I know he will eat first like my slow cooker casserole etc - and then give him somethign to do himself whilst we all eat too - like the salmon cakes, but he just looooooooves chewing on a corn cob - and gets us through dinner. Zander is still not eating much at all so that is our compromise I suppose.

Salmon cakes
    415 gms of salmon, 1 cup mashed potato, 1 cup of jatz bikkies or cornflakes crushed, 1/3 cup of whole-egg mayo - mix, shape into little cakes bake on 180 for 15 mins - less if you make them smaller

I found a new MCHN in a different council and the new council is all for BLS! The MCHN signed me up for an info session on BLS next week. I thought it would be interesting to go see what they say, even though I'm already doing BLS.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast