Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Baby Led Solids Chatter #3

Hi Lollybaby!

Good idea - there are lots of naysayers out there! The book I have which gave me athe confidence to jump in wholeheartedly with the BLS is called "Baby-led Weaning" by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett. I got my copy through ABA but I have seen it in Borders too. I think my friend got her copy from another bookstore. It isn't a really common book though, so you may need to order it in as a special order through a different bookshop. There is also a DVD and a website to take a look at too if you can.

I heard from a friend the other day who's second baby is approaching solids age who was told by her MCHN to do BLS. She instantly thought of me, because I was the first person she knew who did this. Her first child was mush and puree all the way!! I know my MCHN told me the about the other way and when I told her about us doing BLS she was all for it and absolutely rapt with me. Turns out they agree with this method on a personal level, and try to encourage other Mums to try it but so many just don't think it is right! (Mainly because it isn't the 'norm') so they always spout off the standard!! I also heard another Mum being told about it from her nurse and she didn't trust it and so sought a second opinion.... I think she ended up doing half and half in the end.

So I think it is becoming more normal and more accepted, but people just don't understand why this way is ok, being that it is so different from the old-school puree and mash. They aren't given the facts and research behind it so never allow themselves to fully trust it. So good on you for preparing yourself early!

Thanks MummyTummy, that's awesome. I will definitly get a copy of the book somehow!

My MCHN is pretty much sprouting the standard puree and mash view, but I know she is very open minded and approachable, and I wouldn't be surprised if she's open to learning more about it too.

I don't know if I should run and hide after my next question so someone please let me know if this is not an appropriate topic in this space....DS is formula fed. To cut a long story short BF just did not work out for us much to my grave disappointment and not for lack of trying, heartache, pain and illness for all involved. So, do the same principles apply for BF & FF bubs when it comes to BLS?

Thanks all

They sure do lollybaby.

You don't have to run and hide from us hun You are doing a great job of nourishing your DS, please don't feel bad.

:yeahthat:

Same principles and BF or FF is not an issue or topic of debate in here!! So don't go hiding!

Thanks for your kind words MR and MT,

I knew in my heart it wouldn't be an issue, I just wanted to triple check I guess.

We can't wait for solids....learning about food, especially where it comes from is really important to us for DS. We grow our own veggies at home, and I can't wait until Will is old enough and on the move to get stuck into the patch with me. I don't care how messy it gets! He was even 'helping' me get our seedlings planted today.

Ooh that sounds great. In fact you have just reminded me that now that spring is here I really should sort mine out again (I neglected it over winter ). And yep, mess is half the fun!!

Hi all - I'm just popping in here to ask if there is a book or something I can read about baby led solids. DS has been on solids for a couple of months now, and loves it - but I am also wanting to give BLS a go .

Lol - don't worry. I'm blind - just saw a book recommended a few posts back!

Me again - I have a question. As I've been doing 'normal' spoon feeding with DS so far, do you think I'd have any problems doing BLS. Should it be a gradual process, or should I just start it one day?

Sterla, you could just try putting some toast, fruit or a piece of steamed vegie in front of him and see what he does - or even offer him some from your own plate. Also, meat is really important as an early food so if you haven't introduced it yet, that might be another good place to start. You can do this by giving him a safe bone or big piece of steak to suck on, or scraping some meat with a knife.

Let us know how you go!

I am a bit curious and anxious about the meat thing. I let DD suck on a piece of beef I had the other day but was a bit terrified to let it out of my hand. What is the best (safest haha) way to introduce meat? I was thinking maybe some mince? What is considered a safe bone (that might be a dumb question)?

I used to be quite nervous too jb - I think it's normal!! A "safe" bone would be one they can't swallow, so quite big. A chicken leg bone without the little bit that you can pull off or even a chop or cutlet bone should be ok. I introduced mince quite early and the boys were fine with that. Or you could scrape the meat with a knife into mashed potato or cereal or something like that. Letting them suck on a piece of beef is fine - if it's quite a big piece they can't swallow it, so maybe you would feel better with a bigger piece - if in doubt remember the film canister rule that's used for toys - if doesn't fit in a film cannister they can't swallow it LOL!

My DD is going really well with BLS! I have her eating just about everything! I really am trying to get her to eat off my plate, yesterday she had mushroom & bacon quiche and peices of capsicum from the salad. I gave her a big slice of the mushroom when I was cooking the mixture and she loved it!

Baked beans are a hit, cheese is also a fave, broccoli is still the winner though.

I made her a chicken & broccoli pasta with big stips of chicken she could hold onto in it and she enjoyed that. Got a fair bit of chicken in. Not fussed on the pasta though. Have made her mince with peas and she ate a bit of that too, had to spoon that in though.

Porridge for breakfast has taken a while for her to get used to, but toast gets sucked on so I put different toppings like avocado & banana on it.

I think I even have a couple of the ladies at Mothers Group intersted too!!

Might give it a go soon! She seemed to love it and I was really fighting to keep hold of it because she wanted it so badly haha it was cute but scary. Everything else has been going great, she still isn't having a lot of solids but is breastfeeding lots and lots so not concerned, she enjoys playing with it all so that is a step in the right direction!

We moved into our new place yesterday and finally have room for a dining table... will make family meals a lot easier

JB - Jett's first experience of meat was a big chunk of steak which he sucked and sucked until it was white. He was a good eater too but really didn't seem interested in actually chewing and swallowing it. It sounds like you are doing really well, and one day it will all just 'click' for her.

And I know what you mean about the dining room table, we didn't have one until April this year. Jett started solids in January!! It does make it a lot easier and nicer to have family meals!

Winter - can't complain about Broccoli being the winner! Jett still isn't a fan!

Sterla - Just start BLS whenever you feel ready. If you still want to spoon feed, I would suggest putting the finger food in front of him first, seeing how he goes and then when you think he's had enough, spoon feed. But it doesn't have to be a gradual process either, you can just swap him over cold turkey if you like. You'll know what you are comfortable with and that will be the right thing to do! Good luck and let us know how you go!

MantaRay - yeah, I think I will try that. I have actually tried a little in the past with things like that, but not very consistently. I haven't tried letting him eat off my plate - but I bet my DS would love that . Meat! Yes, I should try DS on meat.

Thanks MummyTummy, that's a good idea for how to go about transitioning to BLS. I think my main concern is, because I've been spoon feeding and he does eat quite a bit - I'm worried he'll be a bit hungry going straight to BLS, cause he won't have the skills straight away to consume very much, and he's been used to getting a fair amount, iykwim?

I found a copy of Baby-led Weaning at the state library, but it looks like I won't be getting it for a month or two cause a few others have holds on it. Is there anywhere else I can get a good basic run-down of BLS?

Yep - there is a website by the authors of the baby-led weaning book. Also I think just googling baby led weaning or baby led solids can send you to some interesting sites.
    Are you not wanting to buy the book? Because I know Borders has it, or you can order it online from the Australian Breastfeeding Association. It is a great reference book, I still look at it every now and then, and it is also great to pass it on to anyone else that asks you about it.

I just ordered a copy of the book! Can't wait to start reading. Her website is pretty good too Sterla to get an intro.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast