Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Opinions on our faves?

Default General Opinions on our faves?

Hi all,

My OH and I have recently started trying. We already have some names on the list (and have done for quite some time now). We're really keen on Lily for a girl, and we've had really positive responses from the few we've mentioned it to. I've done some searches around the internet and have found that Lily is quite popular at the moment. I don't really want my child to be in a class room with three or four other children with the same name as my brother Ben did in the 90's! I remember having 4 daniels, 3 Matthews etc etc... I'm worried about the same thing happening with Lily! I'm not sure it's enough to put me off using it as I love it so much. What do you guys think?

But anyway, here are our favorite name combinations.

Lily Margaret (she will be the fourth generation first born daughter to carry Margaret as a middle name. Me, Mum and Mama all have it and it was Mama's grandmother's FN.)

Emmet James for a boy. James is OH's middle name, and is also a family name used for many many generations.

What do you think? I hope they don't irk you straight away!

I love Emmet! I'm like you though and I'm not keen on popular names so I wouldn't choose Lily. It's pretty but she would have another Lily in her class for sure I'd say.

My cousin's little girl is Lilli - and I think thats pretty.

Emmet is ok - reminds me of a guy who took me to a senior dance at high school, then nicked off with another girl so I don't have a GOOD feeling about that name, but thats not the name's fault.. lol

They flow well with the middle names.

Bit too normal for me though

I think they both sound very nice! Lily is a beautiful name, however i know what you mean about being 5 in there class! It is quite popular at the moment, but if thats what name you love then it dosnt matter.. You could look into names like LIly?? i.e lila etc..
    Love boys name, sounds great!

smiles4u Guest

Wink

Yeh, i'm so sorry to admit but i too second Ren's comment

Wow, what an unusual boy's name Emmet ... it's growing on me

All the heartfelt best in name chosing ... not always as easy a task as some might think as you know it's a decision to last a lifetime ... and thereafter

to be honest i'm not a fan of emmet.
    and i'm kinda with the others on the Lilly being a name thats too popular.
    We were the same when we were piking a boys name. I LOVED lachlan but then eveyone started naming their boys lachlan.
    Hugs
    xx

I'm in concurrence with most of the others - I love Emmet, and Lily is sweet, but probably not that uncommon. How about names that might have a similar feel? You could try a great website I love for names called Nymbler, which suggests names based on what you already like.

I love Lily and i don't think there are that many of them around, we have none in our whole school of 385 kids! There are none in DS's mother's group and none of my friends have one!
    Not a big fan of Emmet, sorry, sounds wussy.

I love the name Lily, I'd love to use it for our little bub. Unfortunately DF doesn't I don't think it's overly popular though, and there are always going to be names that are used more often than others, but I wouldn't let frequency of use put you off.

I have a school of 900 and only have one Lily. Her name is actually - as Lily-Rose but noone calls her that... don't see the point. It is commonish, but not as bad as having 3 Natasha's in one class and 4 Joshua's in another.

Gonna make my baby name task even harder. Both DH and I are teachers and if it's not me going "yuk I have a "insert name here" and he's a little shyte", he does it too!!!

Emmet is very original.

I have a Lilla- Rose in my class which is a bit different and sounds lovely. We all call her by her full name too.

i love emmet, i rarely hear that name around, as for lily i had 5 lilly's in my pre-school class last year. but they all had variations and we're called lily for short. for example lilliana, lillian, lilly, lily, lilith. i don't have any lily's this year but there are a few in the centre.
    it's still a lovely name though and there are other similar names such as lylah, lilah, lyla.

I adore the name Lily. It was on the top or our girls list at one stage. Since our M/C I have noticed that there are an awful lot of LIly's in our area and so if we are lucky enough to fall again I don't think Lily will be as high up for us. Emmet is a cool name. I love it!

I agree that Lily is beautiful, but way too common. I know so many people with Lily's and Ruby's. What about Maggie to keep in with the famiy connection?

Emmet is different, a little American sounding for me, but it's growing on me.

Good luck. It's so hard to choose names.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My partner is very keen on Lily and was upset when I mentioned about the popularity and my concerns. However we've concluded that we'd both be disappointed if we didn't use it because of that even though it's popular. It's so hard to agree on names as it is, so for now it's still at the top of the list - but I'm hoping something will pop up between now and when we have our baby that we love as much but isn't so popular.

As for Emmet, we're pretty stuck on it - and I love the mixed reactions. It is a little American, as we heard it on an American show.

As for Maggie - this is the name of my parents' new Labrador puppy. It's a great name though.

Don't let popular turn you off, it just means lots of people think you chose a great name!

Lilly is very popular, but very sweet. Do you like Lillian or Liliana? They could help her be more unique.

Oh and have you considered similar, yet less common names?

Lola
    Layla
    Leela
    Leah
    Lyra
    Lila (pronounced Ly la)
    Milly
    Tillie
    Billie
    Gillian
    Rose
    Poppy
    Ivy
    Violet
    Daisy
    Willow
    Hazel
    Last edited by Mumtobe123; April 7th, 2009 at 03:16 PM.

You're the one that is going to have to say it a million times in your life, so i reckon go with it if you love it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast