Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby carriers/slings

Question baby carriers/slings

I'm trying to decide which baby carrier / sling to get which is suitable for newborn and beyond! I've narrowed it down to two choices but need help decideing between them.
    Which one do you prefer...
    Hug a Bub or Baby Bjorn
    ...and why?

Cheers
    tictac

This is one where you will get such hugely differing opinions. My vote is the BB, but make sure you get the "active" one that gives you more support. I tried a friend's HAB and found it very cumbersome to use and both DD and I got very hot - I was wrapped in so many layers of fabric it was just ridiculous. I also have just a cheap "ring" sling which I used a lot when DD was very little - great for throwing her into in the afternoons for a nap and getting the dinner started. I still use both the BB and the sling a lot now but for different reasons - the BB for shopping and the sling for around the house if she's fussy.

Lulu I'm following you tonight. Same exactly as she said. I just couldn't manage the HAB, and preferred the sling and the BB for ease of use.

Hi tictac

I bought the HAB but just could not work out how to put it on. I should say at this point that I'm the world's most unco person as well as someone with the patience of a flea so probably not the best choice for me. I think it would be fair to say that it takes some practice. However, once you master it, I can imagine it would be very comfortable for the wearer and for baby.

So I swapped it for the Baby Bjorn which is VERY easy to get on. I don't have a lot to compare it to in terms of its comfort factor but to me it's OK. Not perfect, but OK.

So it depends what's the priority for you - ease of use or comfort.

There are a number of posts answering this question in the baby wearing section. Check out the responses there too.

OMG I HATE my BB!! It was excruciating!! It had me in tears it was so painful on my upper back! Also I had trouble getting bub out of it.
    I got a HAB about 2 weeks ago and I have had no trouble with it. Didn't take too long to work it out and it is so supportive of my back. I wear it so often
    Also if I know I am going to use it when I go somewhere I put it on before I get into the car then I just have to put bub in when I get her out of the car.

Good luck

Yep I'm with you Tanya! Loved my hug-a-bub!! DS lived in it for the first few months, and he was a big boy and was like I was wearing nothing cause of the great support across your back. Also you can bend over and do stuff and they are so snug they don't move!! The only con is yes, it does take time to put on, but it is easy once you know how!! I did the same as Tanya though and would put it on at home before I went out!! I also have an ergo carrier which is very quick to put on and I use that heaps now! Good luck with your decision!

I have a hug a bub which I used quite a bit when Oskar was younger... he wouldn't sleep during the day unless I was holding him and it was great for that as I was completely hands free because of the way it "ties" your baby to you. I had a similar holder to the baby bjorn but found it very painful. I have just bought a baba sling (haven't received it yet) as the Hug a bub just isn't so practical for me now... such as at the shops and he wants me to carry him - he's too heavy for that but he wants to be up and down so a sling is faster and more convenient now.

I am with Tanya the BB hurt my back. I have a HAB and love it. I find DS goes off to sleep in easily and seems really comfortable. I find it easy to put on and it only took one go to get the hang of it.

Do you know anybody who owns either so you can try them on and see how they feel?

I have the BB active & I love it. It has great back support which the older style BB didn't have & its so easy to get bub in & out. I just loved the way DD sat on the front of me. I have it put aside & ready for my next bub to use.

I have to say I have never tried the HAB so I couldn't compare, but I'm so happy with my BB that I dont feel the need to compare it to anything else as I'm perfectly happy.

Sorry I know this doesn't help much LOL

Good luck making your choice

My HaB is definitely money well spent. I wish i'd known about them with my older girls - i used the Baby Bjorn then, and couldn't carry them for long because it hurt my back. I'm in and out of the car doing school drop offs and pick ups and i find the HaB fantastic. It is starting to get hot now, but i take it with me when i go shopping in the aircon. I always have it handy. Everyone always comments that Hannah looks like a little Koala, all nice and cosy.

FluffyLaRue Guest

I loved HAB for newborns- so comfy and secure. I also love a ring sling for new bub love love love.

I have a moby wrap, which is very similar to a HAB, but cheaper! I love it. Emily is totally supported and comfortable, and there are lots of different ways to hold her in it, depending on what she needs. I can hold her upright, facing in or out, if she is awake, or put her in a cradle hold if she is tired or needs to nurse. (And yes, I can actually nurse with it - never thought it would work, but it does! I was making muffins while nursing my baby. ) Haven't tried a BB, but I am very happy with my Moby. If price is an issue, maybe look at one of those. It was about $45-50, I think, by the time I paid shipping, etc. You can get them cheaper on e-bay, sometimes.

The baby bjorn has a new light material version that looks like it would be a lot cooler than the traditional ones. I had the "chiropractic" baby bjorn and really loved it, used it non stop. My DH loved it too and loved having our son in it! Looking forward to carrying my new baby in it soon. I also have the "natures sway" over the shoulder type sling and love it. I mostly used it when my boy was sitting up and almost walking but could not. It was fantastic. Prob not that great for the back but it never hurt. A lot of my friends used the same when the bubs were newborn and unsettled, could lie them in it and still get on with stuff.

I hated the Baby Bjorn with Zander, so this time I've bought a Moby Wrap which is very similar to the HAB.
    Last edited by {sarah}; December 19th, 2007 at 07:44 AM.

I have a friend who had a BB and hated it, she ended up getting an ergo carrier and loves it!!! Her boy is just over 12 months old and she still uses it without any problems.

Sling for newborn - BB for 4/5months on for me!

Just going to move this to the baby wearing section where you might get some more responses....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast