Thread: 1yr Shots....

Default 1yr Shots....

Hi ya,
    I was just after some feedback from Mums that have had the 1yr MMR shots with their bubs. I am in two minds as to wether or not to do it for all the reasons that are about in the media and have been for some time regarding autism and ibs.
    I have tried to do some research but always wind up at government sites that are obviously pro vaccinations.
    Has anyone had any behavioural changes or other problems since having it done?
    Thanks so much

I've had three children have it with no adverse effects to them. It really is a hard choice to make when there are so many conflicting ideas about it all. There is a book titled "Just a little Pr1ck" you can get or alternatively you can delay having the vacc till a later date.

I had my DD#1 vaccinated nearly two weeks ago after a lot of indecision on my part and the poor thing is having a terrible time, although I think part of that has to be put down to the arrival of her little sister. She is very, very tired and grumpy and unfortunately she has got the measles like rash that they say is a common-ish side effect. It doesn't seem to be itchy though and I'm told it will clear up within another week or so. So, nothing permanent that makes me regret having had them done, but just be prepared to maybe have a cranky baby for a little while.

As with all of DD's vaccinations she had absolutely no adverse reaction other than a little red lump at the site. I had my chicken pox vax done when DD had hers done at 18 months and it hurt like CRAZY - she didn't complain but I sure did!

It is a hard choice though and I know quite a few people who have paid for the vaccinations to be done seperately for each one and at a later age. However, I don't know anyone who has had a bad reaction either.

There is so much conflicting info, it is a hard choice to make. Just to clarify though, people still have some concerns about some ingredients in vaccinations, and also with the concept of overloading their immune systems, especially with the MMR which is 3 in 1, but the suspected autism link was due to the mercury in the injections, and no Australian vaccinations have mercury in them anymore.

Personally, I have vaccinated my boys and they have no ill-effect. But this is a decision only you can make. No-one really knows the "right" answer to this, if indeed there is a "right" answer.

It's a hard decision. I only heard about the suspected autism link a few weeks ago. Good luck with your decision.

We had Ash done. I wasn't too worried. She had a bit of a temp that evening and bit upset but next day was fine. No probs since.

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
    Just to clarify though, people still have some concerns about some ingredients in vaccinations, and also with the concept of overloading their immune systems, especially with the MMR which is 3 in 1, but the suspected autism link was due to the mercury in the injections, and no Australian vaccinations have mercury in them anymore.
    Actually, the use of thiomersal (which is a mercury derivative) in vaccines was only ever suspected of contributing to the autism link, and never proved; there may be other factors, and in any case, thiomersal has only been gone from Australian immunisations for the last seven years, give or take, and so it is still far too early to tell whether it has made a difference to the rate of autism diagnosis in that partiocular age group.

Based on our own personal research on the topic, we have elected not to give the MMR, and to hold back the other immunisations until later dates, but it all depends on your own personal circumstances RE childcare, etc.

Hi,
    Thanks for your experiences....thats good to hear most of your guys have had no reactions with your bubs.
    Shmickers, I have even googled thimerisol and searched for it on the Gov site, but I have heard that it hasnt been used for some time.
    I guess they are saying now it is a pre-occuring gene that usually displays its characteristics around the same time shots are given and that mums use this as a lamp post to their babies behaviour, only associating spectrum behaviour with the shots....
    I just look at my happy healthy bubba and think why do it?
    Is is a common request to ask the GP to do them seperatley?
    Also how long are you delaying it if so?

From what I know it isn't a common request to have them split and members on here who have wanted to do that have been told by their GP's etc that you can't split them, but I think they can't be bothered to do it that way and just want to give the combined one. Not sure how long you delay them for on a delayed schedule.

I think the vaccines are offered separately in the UK but not here. So if you want to split them, the vaccine has to be imported. So it is costly and hard to get a GP to agree, but if it's what you want to do it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

I was thinking that for next time I would be checking about the thiomersal, but have had my questions answered here. I don't have experience with autism, but it is something I have researched a fair bit, as I wanted to have all the info before immunising. I have immunised both girls and will immunise again, but I like to know what is going in them first. Unfortunately it seems to be like allergies (we've just found out DD has nut allergy as well as egg) and no one can tell you how or why, or what to avoid or what to do to prevent. It's all a bit of a shot in the dark. Even though I know many parents of autistic children will say it's the vaccine and I dont think you can argue with a mothers intuition. So I think it comes down to your intuition and what you think is best.
    I do have to add that I am glad to have immunised. I have a friend who didnt' start the whole process until 2 years not 2 months (thought he might be better equiped at that age, and there are natural remedies that can help with immunity. )
    Saying all that, I wouldn't want to not immunise and then my child catches something that could've been prevented. Alot to weigh up I guess, so good luck! xoxoxo

My littlest turns one next month and I am going to hold off with the MMR for now. I have my other three fully immunised, but this time I just feel *something* isn't right. I have learned to listen to that little voice in my head, so I am holding off for now, JIC.

Due to the mass vaccinations in our society, the likelihood of her catching Measles or Mumps is very low, so I am not worried about her catching the illnesses to be honest. If vaccination rates drop, this might not be the case, and if there are outbreaks I will probably get her done, but for now I think we are safer not having it than doing so.

My nephew is one of those children who 'became' autistic after having his MMR (12 years ago). I don't want to risk it - especially when I have one of those *feelings*. LOL.

JenSam my DD had her 12 month MMR last week - she was a little grizzly and more tired than usual for around 48 hours but has been fine since then. But as others have mentioned all children are different and it is such a personal decision. I guess in the end you can only do what you feel is right for you and your child. I do know of some children who have not been immunised at all. They are school aged and have to go home if somebody in their class is diagnosed with mumps, measles or chicken pox. Of course this is not a reason to immunise your child, just letting you know. I'm not sure if this would be the case for all schools but apparently this particular one is very strict about it.

We got them for DS and he never had any reaction at all. Its a personal decision, but im all for the immunisations. I believe theyre there for a reason.

We're having DD's shots split into 3 shots. I spoke about it with our GP months ago and they said to let them know a cpl of months in advance if we wanted to go ahead with the split shots. It def. can be done.

TBH my GP suggested that we might be unduly upsetting DD by having to bring her in 3 times in two months for 3 shots instead of just the one. Because at that age the kids can clue in pretty quick why they're at the doctors'. And that nearly put me off the whole idea.

But my DH is a Crohns sufferer and he believes his condition was possibly associated with his shots so we're going to err on the side of caution here. Even if its all in his head, psychologically, he believes he shouldn't have had that shot and it's something he regrets.

I've had a lot of ppl say the evidence linking the shot with autism is anecdotal at this stage but from what I've read, the link has yet to be completely disproven. It's a peace of mind thing for us, but I agree with it being a personal choice.

Neuri

I had it done for DD1. Wasnt to bad....but she was very unsettled for a good week afterwards and wasnt herself. The lump has only just gone and she got the MMR back in January

Thanks guys,
    I think I have decided to give them a miss for a while, I believe what some of you have said that if you have that instinct you should listen to it, I would hate to have it done then regret it. I have emailed my GP anyway to ask her opinion and about splitting the shots, but havnt heard back, I am sure she is getting a lot of questions atm about this topic.