Thread: 7.5 wk old - hasnt pooed for 3 days.. help!

Default 7.5 wk old - hasnt pooed for 3 days.. help!

Hi there - hoping for some advice please..
    My DS has not pooed for 3 days - I know ppl say a bfed baby can go 3 wks without pooing but this is v unusual for him and he now seems to be a bit uncomfortable... any ideas how I can help him or what I should do?
    I bfeed exclusively...
    Thanks

Hi Pregpan,
    It is supposedly very rare for a bf baby to be constipated (not much in there to get stopped up I guess lol). But if he is feeling uncomfortable then perhaps he has a little bit of wind which is really common in littles ones.
    You can try lying him on his back and cycling his legs gently to help get that out. Or you can rub the tummy gently in a clockwise direction.
    I HTH. Its tough when they can't speak!

it is common for exclusively BF bubs to go days and days without a poop... but if u think he seems uncomfortable, you could try moving his legs like he is riding a bike (while he is on his back) the next time he is straining or grunting.... also a warm bath.... also some massage oil and rub his belly CLOCKWISE - this can help digestion (do NOT rub anti clockwise)... i used to give my girl water with a teensy teensy teensy amount of suger (im talking maybe 5-10 granules) if she was really upset with constipation, but she was a lot older, it did work though.

hopefully some the bath and massage might help.

Jinx Emma!

ooooops, a post while i was typing....

Totally normal for a fully b/f bub

Keep an eye on how many wet nappies JIC. They can show a little bit of discomfort and I've found this to be due to wind.
    Baby massage can work wonders and used to help get mine trumpeting away. Nappy free time so they can get their legs kicking about helps too.

Thanks for the advice - I know it is normal but how much can go in without something out in return iykwim!!!???? wet nappies are ok... and he seems to be ok wind wise (i have heard lots of farts and looked in nappy in anticipation of a poo with no success LOL)... but I will also try all your suggestions...
    How long do i wait before I should see a dr?

Thanks again for advice...

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Try as others have said massage. But also try a warm bath. Or even 10 mls of cooled camomile tea it worked wonders for a friends daughter who was also exclusiovly breastfed.

I know it is normal but how much can go in without something out in return iykwim!!!????
    About 2 weeks in the case of bm LOL!! BM is perfectly designed to meet their needs so there is very little waste. This really is normal and there is no need to see a dr. You'll get used to it, I promise!! Enjoy it while you can - once solids start they get more frequent and more stinky!!

Alessia went 2 weeks without a poop! Now she's a little more regular - once every 2-3 days, but at the moment she's pooping most days. I agree with the others, just enjoy having to clean non-smelly nappies. I do admit that as the time wore on (in the 2 weeks that she didn't poop) I did fret a bit and considered the MHCN advice to give Alessia some cooled camomile tea - but I decided to drink it myself! Either way - Noah will poop when he's ready. In the meantime, little belly rubs, lower back rubs and lots of cuddles can't hurt!

thanks all for the advice - and sorry if this is TMI but i think i owe it to you all - he was not windy or in pain but i did give him a nice long tummy massage and lo and behold - just now I chgd his nappy and he had done a nice one!!! so i am now not worried anymore... iw as expecting it bigger but a bid relief for me!! Thanks all for the advice and reassurance - I knew it was normal but you still cant help but worry and it is always good to hear other's experiences.. thanks again everyone!

Hi, lol I'm glad he came through for you. I'm a little envious as we get a poo per feed, he's an eating pooing machine.

One thing if you are ever worried is that infants friend helps wind from both ends. It contains anise which is a natural digestive. But you would only really need to use it if you were really worried.