Thread: Argh bad sleep habits for my 4mth old - help!!!!!

Default Argh bad sleep habits for my 4mth old - help!!!!!

So my 4mth old has always been a dodgy sleeper during the day. He cat naps mostly and it is really starting to get ridiculous. From what I can remember with my first bub he had solid sleep habits from day dot - sleeping through for 12hrs from 3mths old and having 2 or 3 big naps a day.

The 4mth old sleeps from 10:30pm-ish to 7-8am-ish but during the day he is lucky to have 10min, 20min, 1/2hr here and there and NEVER in his cot. He will only settle down and sleep in my arms. By the time dinner rolls around he is over tired and so narky it takes til 10:30pm to settle him enough to fall asleep in my arms.

Anyone got any hints to help him nap better and longer during the day in his cot, and to get him to go to sleep earlier of a night by say 9pm? Is he still too young for a sleep routine during the day?

Thanks, Im at my wits end.

Day sleeps can be so frustrating can't they! My first DS was a TERRIBLE day sleeper, he too would only sleep in my arms because he loved being snugged up and moving. We ended up buying him an Amby baby hammock and it was miraculous! He would sleep happily in it for a couple of hours at a time. Sometimes I would have to go in and bounce him, but he would then go back to sleep which was great.

I really hope you find something that works soon!

Ash was catnapper, i remember spending an hour or more trying to settl her just to get 30-40mins from her.
    I can't help much on how to settle in cot cause we would either use the bouncer or pram to get her to sleep.
    Maybe as Trish said try Hammock? I have heard good things bout using one, some places do hire them out.
    I'd say once he sorts out day sleeps better he'll prolly settle alot better at night.

~Belinda~ Guest

Hey Anna, Madeleine is the same. Half hour here and there but she sleeps through the night. I think I would rather her sleep through the night actually so I can at least be rested and feel good in the morning. I'll wait for some advice too because your post is exactly Madeleine!

I found one of the musical swings worked wonders for sending Cooper off to sleep. Well, as long as you didn't play the music. The one we had was well cushioned and could be reclined so he was in a comfortable sleeping position. It was well balanced so he couldn't get tipped over.

Only drawback was Cooper got too big for it at about 8 months old.

~Belinda~ Guest

That sounds good Courtney, Madeleine loves her bouncer but won't sleep for hours in it. That swing sounds pretty terrific though.

Its 11:30pm and he is STILL awake. Ive had enough. He's fed, clothed, changed, burped he couldnt possibly have anything preventing him from sleeping. I feel so bad (because Im so tired I could pass out any second, Ive been cleaning/on the go since yesterday) that I told him I hated him and want to send him back Now I wish I could take it back. Dh is tucked up nicely in bed, #&%@.

The swing is a fab idea BUT Im trying to avoid starting new habits with him that Im going to have to break in a few months time all over again. Plus both my kids have gotten way to chubby for their swings by 4mths, to the point where it WONT swing

Anna, big hugs. I don't have any great suggestions for you, but I just wanted to say, don't worry about forming habits. He's too young anyway, and you just need to get through ATM. Just do whatever it takes for all of you to get some sleep, and worry about the consequences later, that's if there are any.

Take care

Oh Anna honey I know how you feel!! Luckily for me however, Punky has finally started to get some sleep during the day... well usually, had a bit of a crap evening here tonight as I had her up while I made dinner - mistake!!

What I found really started to make a difference with Punky was (thanks to Barb for this advice) to put her to bed AS SOON AS SHE EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT BEING TIRED, if I missed that teeny window then I had no chance of getting her down. When I say 'put to bed' mind you, it was more 'wrap, rock, jiggle, whatever it takes' but the last few days to a week I've been able to put her down drowsy & leave her & she goes to sleep or even if she's grumpy pat her when she is in her cot & she'll go to sleep, mega break through believe me, I thought I'd be rocking her to sleep when she was 21!!

The other thing too I find is is she doesn't seem like she is going to go to sleep but she's well due I'll offer her some more to eat, 9 times out of 10 she is just a bit too hungry to go to sleep.

I know you've got much more Mummy experience than me sweets but I hope this helps a little bit, but if not, know that I have totally been there & DO NOT feel bad about being tired & frustrated, you are ony human! *hugs*

Oh Anna, you poor thing . You are doing it really tough at the moment. I hope you managed to get him off to sleep eventually. He really does sound over-tired, have you thought about going to a sleep school? Maybe they could have some strategies to help with his naps.

I just wanted to say that if you tried a hammock (not a swing) you can use them for much longer. The Amby hammocks are designed to withstand up to 40kg (or something like that). My DS had his day naps in it until he was nearly two! A lot of people have no problems transitioning their bubs back to the cot earlier though (my sister transitioned her DS at 6 months with no problems whatsoever). It is just a suggestion!

I hope you have a better day today

Anna, like someone else said please don't worry bout forming 'bad habits' sounds like at the moment you just need to do whatever you need to do to get both of you some rest and sleep. Things don't always become bad habits he just might settle easier down the track but for now just do what you need to do that works.

So yesterday was errand day & he slept in the car/pram no worries (grrrrrr) but once home would not go down. At about 8pm I started feeding him up and by 9:30 he had had 2 240ml bottles. Rocked him to sleep for 1/2hr while waching Medium and he stayed asleep when I put him in the cot, yippee.

Thanks for the help, Im feeling a little more optimistic and will be taking him to sleep school soon.