Thread: The "B" sound

Default The "B" sound

Recently Jack has started to use the "b" sound where it shouldn't be, in words he was previously saying properly. Some examples are Lightning B-queen (McQueen), beputer (computer) and bemato (tomato). Is this a normal phase? Do you think it's best to correct him or ignore him?

Hey MR

How old is Jack? Is 'b' a new sound for him?

If so, I would say it is just a learning phase he is going through...over-generalising the sound as part of the discovery process.

I wouldn't overtly correct him...but just repeat the word "oh..you want a tomato?"

Hi MR - I don't have any advice but found the timing of your post quite funny as my 3 year old nephew has starting saying 'b' words without the 'b' - so the complete opposite to Jack!! He just won't put his lips together to pronounce the words. Here's hoping that they are both in a stage - I would do as Monnie suggested and simply correct it but without making it a big deal

When Yasin got the "S" sound at the end of words he would do a similar thing. He would repeat it - so he would say sause - s- s- s. Now he seldom does it. We ignored it and he just grew out of it.
    If possible I use the word back at the boys when they mispronounce so my reply would be 'I'll get you the sauce now'. That way they're hearing it correctly but not getting any pressure or feeling that their achievement is being slighted.
    I must admit that sometimes I buy into the cute mispronounciations. Yasin still can't say S sounds in the middle of words so he says 'pubbles' instead of puzzles and it sounds so funny that sometimes I say it too.
    Last edited by Phteven; January 3rd, 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: about a million typos

Thanks girls. Monnie, Jack will be three in Feb. It isn't a new sound for him, but I did have a thought after posting. Tom says "ba ba ba" quite a lot (he is 15months) so maybe it's to do with that. Jack does copy Tom a lot of the time.

Maybe he's just playing with words!

I think it's a good sign...bit like how kids play with rhyming...showing that he is experimenting with how sounds make up words...good phonological awareness (phonics) which is a pre-requisite for learning how to read!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if it's to do with copying too...

Paul used to do exactly the same thing - beputer, beplice car, begrilla! And Cassie used to say words with the first letter A like aputer, aplice car, agrilla!!!

I can't remember when it stopped and I don't think we corrcted - it was too cute lol!

AsH_ Guest

it all some very cute.

i'm sure most kids/babies grow out of it.

my cousin had a simlilar problem and he was 6.

it took a while but he is talking no probs.

theres that learning curve.

i think tv shows like playschool (if its aired still) and other young kids shows that help them identify and pronounce words is a great way to get or to keep them on track.

i loved those shows when i was little.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'll just go with the flow then.