Thread: Bathtime getting scary!

Default Bathtime getting scary!

DS is nearly 8 months and everynight for the last week or so has started standing in the bath.

Usually i lay him down on his back, wash him then he will roll himself over on to his tummy and i will wash his back etc then he sits up for a splash.

Now he trys to roll as soon as he is in there, and when he does its straight up onto his knee's and pulling himself up the side of the bath, and omg he is so quick! I have tried sitting him when i first put him in thinking that splashing may distract him while i get him washed but nope he still does it.

I have been saying no ethan, we sit down in the bath then sitting him down, but he gets up again no sooner than i have sat him back down.

Its getting rather frightening as i am terrified he will slip, i also use a little oils in his bath so it is pretty slippery. Does anyone have any tips on how i can keep him seated in the bath?

Last edited by tears_of_joy; March 22nd, 2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: oops spelling

LMAO i just edited my post as one part of it read

"Does anyone have any tips on how i can keep him sedated in the bath?"

Im not that desperate lol

lol as tempting as that would be!!!!
    haha!!!!!!

there is a little seat that they sit in to stop them from getting up. We have those little sticky things on the bottom of our bath.

LMAO about sedated

My DS isn't as quick as yours but he does try to roll at any opportunity. I have managed to distract him by giving him a bath toy before putting him in the bath. That way he is so interested in his toy he stays still long enough to clean the important bits.

HTH
    Spring

morgan78 Guest

sedated - might be a goer
    we have always used a non slip mat in the bath and if he likes to have showers maybe try that instead a couple of times a week

LOL Yep, I know it's tricky... my 3rd baby/toddler is very active in the bath. You could try giving toys etc to keep him seated but my experience is that is doesn't really do much. Mine is at the stage of chucking them all out onto the bathroom floor then wanting to go get them.... over and over again

All you can do is sit there beside them and watch them I think. Mine have slipped and even slid under the water. They just emerge coughing. They won't drown if you are there. A child has to be under for more than a few seconds to drown. The biggest worry is that they hit their heads. If you have rounded edges etc this help. We have a sharpish tiled edge so I have to make sure I sit right near that.

Try not to stress, it's a phase...

you could try those bath paint things that you can "paint" on the sides of the bath? But even that will lose the novelty factor. hopefully someone will have a better idea? i'll be watching this thread!

We have the same problem too - she just wants to wander, so now we put her in her little baby bath, in the big bath, so that limits her to where she can go, but we have also discovered the baby toothbrush is the perfect distractor! She LOVES to brush her onwn teeth during bath time and this gives us time to wash her hair, etc. When she does get a bit tired of it we then brush them for her which she loves too (thank goodness!) and it is usually time to wash her bot anyway so while she is standing we do that and she's out. Now that the weather is getting cooler I will probably get in with her again more often, so I can limit the damage!! I also need to get some of those non-slip stickers - thanks for the reminder!
    Good luck - I hope you find something that works for you!

I have found DD does the same, and there's no distracting her!! Now that she is starting to walk, she's trying to walk in the bath without holding on. I draw the line there, LOL. If she insists on doing it, it's byebye bath. Standing isn't such a worry for me now, we have the non slip mats in the bath so it is less likely she'll slip over, though she has and has just come up spluttering. She is yet to really hurt herself *knock on wood!!* she just gets a bit of a scare sometimes, but she's learnt to deal with it. I would say just stay next to him because you will both just get really frustrated if you try to stop him, and that might cause him to dislike bath time.

Oh DS did this. I think i even started a thread back then about it too. In the end it seemed the more i sat him down or told him to sit down the more he would stand up. So i just let him, made sure the bath mat was secure and had my hands out ready to grab him if he fell. He did soon grow out of it and doesnt do it now at all.
    So yeh i dont think theres much you can do.. maybe get some new bath toys.. but just wait it out and he'll get over it. Once it starts to get cooler he'll soon realise its warmer to sit down!