Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Baby Home

Default Bringing Baby Home

I'm so much more worried about coming home with a newborn baby than the actual birth itself. I have no experience with newborns at all.

So what I'm wondering is what did you do when you first got home with baby? The first few days.... Do things continue on as normal, cleaning cooking etc plus all the new baby stuff? Or is it all totally different?

I'm guessing the type of birth you have is a factor too right? After a c-section it's harder to lift things etc so that would make a big difference. Wouldn't it?

Sarah, with my first 2 I came home and had to still do everything. With Joel I walked in the front door and but him down. Mum had picked me up from hospital. The house was a mess and I went and put a load of washing on straight away. With Brandon I only stayed in hospital over the w/end he was born fri night and I came home Mon evening. Mum had been to my house and cleaned it and done all my ironing and stuff. When I got home my ex had decided to move the furniture around and had the loungeroom trashed. I felt like turning around and walking straight back out. I guess it really depends on your partner too. How much they do around the house etc.

With Noah because I'd had a c section Mark had to do alot. I relied on him to do so many things like taking out the washing and bathing the baby. I know that he will be a great help this time too. It helps if you have someone that will cook or do some cleaning for you just til you feel 100%.

You will be right you have your mum right next door and I's sure that Aaron will be a great help too. If all else fails you can always call Aunty Trish for a hand

Take care
    Trish

Well living with my mum i have it pretty easy. Don't have to cook or do washing etc. But when i first got home, i had no idea what to do with her. She was so content in hospital but when i brought her home, that night, she was sooo unsettled and had a bad case of the runs and then a few days later she got an infection on 3 of her fingers. I felt like a bad mother and thought if id done something different she woulda been a happy bubby. But i soon got over that! Also she has pretty much slept the whole night through since day 4, so she's been pretty nice to me!

Yay for Aunty Trish being close by I can imagine I'll be coming online quite often asking all these crazy questions from you guys.

Thats normal too!! I was wondering what to do with Matilda as well.... but you keep pretty busy at first! The first few weeks are generally dictated by your baby, or hopefully are dictated by bubs. When you sleep/eat/bath etc.... after that things settle down a little bit but it all comes in time. Its crazy. But know that it only lasts a short while & make use of all the support you can get!!! I'll be in Sydney in May!!

Yay Aunty Christy & Matilda can come visit We'll have to organise a meetup!

I am sure you will be ok Sarah. I wouldn't worry too much about the household. Just spend as much time with your baby as you can and I have heard that when baby is sleeping that you should have a shut eye too, this way you will be much more relaxed and refreshed when baby awakes.

I have not had a baby myself, and I am sure it is very different then being a nanny to a newborn, but if you ever need any advice or help, I am also in Sydeny, and I don't work so am always available.

Where abouts in Sydney do you live?

Nadine.

I had a week with Kimberley at the hospital but was lucky because when i went home we lived with MIL and i did not have any housework to do other than our room and washing. But after two months we moved out but did everything okay.

Not sure what it will be like this time but i am hoping that i have someone around for the first 5 weeks to help me out.

Things were waaay different for me when I brought Aidyn home.
    I was way to tired to cook, and the only sort of cleaning I did was laundry.
    I was so completely exhausted and lacking in sleep, so every time Aidyn napped, I tried to as well... - just forget about any housework that needs doing - especially in those first couple of weeks!

Try to make you come home to a tidy house (resort to bribery if need be) cos I totally agree with Trish about coming home to a trashed house.

Apart from that just play it by ear, the first few days can be such a whirlwind I think it is better to go with the flow than fight it by having expectations. Enjoy the ride! Bringing home baby is my most favorite thing in the world. Actually seeing bubs in the bassinett you prepared makes everything so unreal and amazing. (me very clucky again!!)

DH lined up a house cleaned to come the day I was coming home so it was clean when I got home

I have told Aaron I want the house nice & tidy when I get home so I don't need to worry about that too much. Mum has also offered to clean if I need it.

Another thing which I think is going to sound totally stupid 8-[ Ok, Aaron has gone back to work, I get up in the morning, bub is awake & I want to have a shower - what do I do with him????

You have 2 choices girl. You either go for one while he's asleep, and yep you can bet your bottom dolloar he will wakke when your in there but thats ok, he can't go anywhere and even if he does start to cry it won't hurt him. OR you can take his rocker in the bathroom with you while you have your shower. Oh yeah, there is a 3rd option. Don't shower til Aaron gets home or have on before he goes to work

Your lucky you don't have to protect him form his big brother. Can you imagine Noah if he were left around while I had a shower. I am going to put a lock on the outside of my bedroom door so I can lock Noah out and the baby in.

Take care
    Trish

Can you tell I'm starting to freak over the little things 8-[

Scarlett Guest

Sarah I was really worried about this as well and am finding that I am slowly adjusting. At first It was so weird having someone to care for that not much got done. Now I am trying to stay on top of things by doing bits and pieces whenever I get the chance. I try to get up just before she does to shower, and then do so really quickly with the monitor turned up LOUD. The best advice I have had though is sleep when she does, not always easy but a short nap here and there makes the housework etc seem not so much of a problem. Also if you can afford to we get our house cleaned every second week so its only basic maintenance and washing etc that needs doing.

oohh - it's exciting - about 3.5 weeks left ??? could happen any day ...

I was glad to be home, after five days in hospital, I'd had enough.

* Sleep when they sleep is a good idea.
    * Don't cry more than they do.
    * If you don't like your mums advise, try the 24 hour maternal line. I had trouble getting breastfeeding and all my mother could say was how she starved my brother trying to feed him and that I should use formula

You'll be surprised what you can do.

Barb.

More like 2weeks 2 days Barb 8-[

I didn't know about a 24hr maternal line - is that like the Parents Helpline?

Hey Sarah - you will be amazed at how showers become really short freshening up things. I have babysat for my sister before with her 9month old. Was dead to the world when I got into the shower in the ensuite, 2 mins later when I have shampoo in my hair, this child is SCREAMING!! So needless to say, face didn't get washed, hair didn't get conditioned and was knotty for the day, but baby was happy they weren't alone.
    My suggestion would be have a short shower when home alone, and when baby is asleep, and save the good showers where you get to feel clean for when Aaron is there.
    Also - shane and I have agreed there will be a time out period everyday when he gets home from work (obviousl a littl bit of flexibility here....) He's promised from 3:30 to 5ish is MY time, and he wil take care of everything except feedng of course. I'm allowed to just walk out of the room when he gets home if I need to. I think this will be fantastic for my sanity! Is there any time Aaron can promise you like that? I'm supposed to use the time to go for a walk, do some sewing, catch up on housework, cook dinner, have a nap.... whatever suits me at the time.
    I think I'm a bit lucky!
    Fi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast