Thread: Car Capsule???

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Car Capsule???

Just need some advice regarding a great car capsule. We have a safe and sound one at the moment (very old style) and our little one doesn't look too comfy in it. We have looked in Big W and there are ones there that are for newborn and convert to a toddler seat also so your child can be in them for up to 18kgs...

Does anyone know a great brand that they recommend? We are currently hiring the safe and sound one but thinking of returning it when we buy another one.

Your help would be appreciated, thanks so much!

Any Safe N Sound rearward/forward facing car seat would do the trick. Some have more features than others, but they all exceed the Australian standards so you know they are really safe. You can usually use them up until your child is 4 years old so they will get lots of use.

~Belinda~ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kimnastics View Post
    We have a Safe n Sound (latest style) and we love it. I think it is a Guardian, and it is to 12kg rear-facing and converts to front-facing like the one you mentioned.
    Kim, where did you get yours?

We used a capsule until around 5 1/2 months. They are actually the safest to use. However... if you don't like it... we have the safe n sound car seat (the reversible one) which is the Meridian AHR .. that's the head restraint thing which I can't remember how they describe it all. Anyway, we got that when he outgrew the capsule and it's fabulous. Comes with baby insert for when they are little and they can face rearward until 12kg and front up to 18 kg. Got it from Babies Galore from memory. I think they're around the $500ish???

~Belinda~ Guest

Whoaaa....$500! I'm currently looking on ebay and there are a few second hand ones. Thanks for your advice though girls, you've been a great help! Kim, I noticed in your pic there of your little one, I have the same play gym for Madeleine!! I got it as a gift though so unsure where you bought yours from!

The problem with second hand capsules or car seats is that you have no real way of verifying their history. If they have been in an accident - even a minor one - and have not been inspected, they may not be safe.

I would definitely recommend buying new. Shop around while you have the other one on hire, try and find one on sale if money is too tight, but any capsule that meets or exceeds safety standards should be fine.

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks Michael, I will definately shop around and let my DP know about the risk associated with buying second hand. I wasn't aware of that. Money is not tight, that's not my worry, I just love a bargain. But a bargain is not good if your child's health is in danger with a car seat that has been in an accident.

Hi Bindy, I'm a licensed second hand dealer (I have a pre-loved baby goods business) and I sell second hand car seats, I am not telling you this to sell you one, just to give you some advice!

Things to look for in a safe second hand car seat if you choose to buy one:

* Make sure the car seat is less than 10 years old, any older and it no longer meets the Australian standards.
    * Look at the plastic frame, the plastic is designed to show stress lines if the car seat has been involved in an accident. It will go white (like white lines) if it has had some stress.
    * Make sure the safety harness and all other straps are free from fraying.
    * Make sure the car seat looks sturdy in general.

HTH

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks so much Trish! I will do that! You're the best...