Thread: Chipped tooth! OMG

Default Chipped tooth! OMG

I dont know what to do...

Tonight DS told me 'teeth sore' and then 'brush teeth', so we went to brush his teeth and the front one has a chip missing out of it!!!!!

It must have happened today while he was with mum, but she cant think of when it would have happened, unless it was when he was playing in the backyard with a relative. But they didnt notice blood etc or anything and he didnt complain about it.

The piece missing is like a little rectangle at the bottom, maybe 3mmx1-2mm but its noticable.

Do I take him to the dentist to get it checked out? Its a baby tooth but still, I'm worried about whether it needs to get sealed over etc?

You both must be worried! He might be suffering from extra sensitivity especially with hot/cold food. Has he been to the dentist yet (at all)? Is he comfortable being there, opening his mouth? I'd take him. He has to be able to use it for a few years yet... wouldn't want to risk it decaying. Are his teeth in overall good health? Some familes have thinner enamel and this could make him more succeptible to decay.

Let us know how he goes... the inital shock should settle down. I know when that kind of thing happens to me (once the top off my back tooth came away) i'm shocked at first but it'll be sorted Best case scenario is that the dentist will say that it's not deep into the enamel and that gradually the edges of the chip will soften with "wear" and it won't be as noticable.

like bath said best to get it checked out, they may just smooth over the rough sharp edge for comfort!

thanks I thought so.
    He has been to a paediatric dentist once before, and was pretty good, and the dentist was wonderful.
    I will have to ring around in the morning and try to get him in somewhere.
    Do you think its worth waiting (if I have to) a day or two to get into the paed. dentist that he has seen before, or go to one he hasnt been to if he can get in tomorrow?

Hi Ray,

I would wait for the paed dentist but call them in the morning to check - you'd have to call to make an appointment anyway right?
    I chipped a tooth (top front) when I was 6 (except it was an adult tooth). I actually rammed it upwards though (tripped on my dressing gown running up stairs in a hospital) and had copious amounts of blood (they put a cap on it and you can't tell now). I can't imagine he has done long term damage and they will probably smooth it over but not until any nerve discomfort has settled. Give the surgery a call in the morning.

HTH

MG

My son fell over with a toy in his mouth when he was about the same age as your son...

He chipped his tooth but we didn't notice it for about a week. (we are pretty sure thats when he chipped it) anyways we took him to the dentist and they putty'd it up. they didn't use fillings as it was a baby tooth..

My nephew fell once at day care and pushed one of his front teeth back a fair bit. Ouch must have hurt the poor bugger. My sister took him to the dentist to get it checked out and they said as its just one of his baby teeth, it will fall out eventually and then the other tooth to come through should be fine.

I would take him to the dentist just to make sure its ok to leave it as it is, but yeh i dont think they can really do much with baby teeth, except just wait for it to fall out and the new one to come through. With waiting.. is he in pain? Usually they will see you right away if your in pain. Just tell them when you ring up what is happened and see if they can take a look sometime during the day.

Hope hes ok.

I cant get him in to the dentist we like until 27th March, and that was only cos they had a cancellation.

I've made the appt but I think I might try to get him in to a regular dentist -
    I have no idea who though might have to ask around as I dont know anything about any of the dentists in my area!

The chip is actually a lot smaller than I thought but its definitely there.

Yep, I'd just see the regular dentist. If he isn't in pain or complaining of discomfort when eating (maybe give him an ice cream to see if the nerves are exposed) then it should be ok.

Poor little fella. My son (ds 1) chipped a baby tooth and has also now managed to chip (well the whole corner actually) an adult tooth. Neither has caused him discomfort other than tenderness when it happened and for a few days whilst it all settled down. Hope that it goes well and it isn't anything to worry about!

This happened to DS about 4 months ago. He slipped on the tiles. I freaked out! It was a little bit less than a quarter of his front tooth.We ended up going to the dentist and he told us that there was nothing they could do because it was only a baby tooth. I felt silly for wasting the dentist's time!

Basically he said 3 things could happen:
    1. It might turn dark/black, and he will have a black tooth until it falls out.
    2. It will fall out - and he will just have no tooth until the adult tooth comes through
    3. nothing. The tooth will just be chipped.

He said that there was a danger of the fall damaging the adult tooth... but he said if DS had no pain, then there is no problem.

So far nothing has happened. It's still there, not black, just chipped Also, DS paed said the exact same thing as the dentist. He said it happens all the time and parents freak out because it can be "unsightly" for them.

I was devistated because before that happened everyone we met would comment on DS's beautiful teeth. since then, no comments. lol. ahwell.