Thread: Tooth problems in pregnancy

Default Tooth problems in pregnancy

Hi all,

Ok this might be a bit long...

Well, prior to falling pg and even TTC I was in the process of having my teeth fixed. I have quite a few cavities since I hadn't been to the dentist for many years- I'm talking about 15yrs! My mum never made it a habbit and since I never had any problems (pain!) and I have pretty nice looking teeth (if I do say so myself!) I never went for myself. Until one day one of my teeth cracked and crumbled! And so I went off to the dentist and dscovered I had quite a few cavities, they also said I should get my wisdom teeth out, but they don't cause me problems so I doubt I ever will do that! I was getting two fillings a month cause I had to save each time and I had the cracked tooth pulled out because I couldn't afford to get it fixed.

Anyway....I stopped going because I was under the impression that I shouldn't go when pg, besides my irrational fear of the dentist! So it was a good excuse no to go anymore for a while (I now know that I can go for most things like fillings). Since then I just havent had the money to go back and as a result I now have a tooth which is hurting me. There is a cavity in the gumline and it is a tooth that has already been filled. So I am gathering that the filling didn't work and I will need more work done. I also assume that it will probably need a root canal since I think that pain means either the root of the tooth is damaged or at least exposed.

So my question is if anyone knows...what are my options? I'm thinking I can get a root canal and have it capped but thats really expensive and we jsut don't have that sort of money at the moment and are unlikely to have it any time soon since it will be a while before I go back to work full time. Can I have the tooth extracted and a false one put in? How much would that cost? I would really rather not have another gap in my teeth (then I would have my wisdom tooth, a gap, the next molar and then another gap.) Is there anything else that could be done?

Sorry it's soooo long, but I thought the background info might be useful

TIA.

Anyone?? It's a bit more sore today I'm going to have to jsut bite the bullet and go the dentist...when I get a spare minute...!

Oh Kel, sorry i can't help but i know what you mean!
    My wisdom teeth probably need to come out - they do cause me pain when they try to come through (once every three months) but i can't afford to have it done (i think its about 750 per tooth! )
    And even though i've always taken good care of my teeth, i've somehow ended up with two cavities (that i can see) and one tooth has a nice big chip or hole in the side of it. I'm so annoyed and frustrated that my teeth have decided to play against me!
    Not sure what the best option is for you - but do hear ya on the money side of things... i should have become a dentist, thinking about how much you have to spedn on them $$$$$$$$

Kellie, sorry you're having dramas with your teeth ATM, it's bad timing that's for sure!

Firstly, it MAY not be dead or dying, it may be able to be saved yet. Your dentsit may be able to put a sedative dressing in the cavity and see if that settles the nerve down. If it does, then he'll put a regular filling in after a month or more.

It the nerve is beyond repair, then yes, your only options are RCT or an extraction. RCT is quite expensive, and if the tooth is already heavily filled, then it may need a crown afterwards as well. It is a good option, because it means you get to retain the tooth, but if you don't have the funds, then there's not much you can do (and I totally understand that!).

If you do end up having the tooth extracted it sounds like your chewing on that side may be compromised, given that you are already missing a tooth. TBH, I hate to see someone your age losing teeth, but sometimes there's no other option. You could have a denture made, but be aware that that's not as easy as it may seem. A denture will be your cheapest option for replacement though. The other options include a bridge, or implants, both of which are quite exy (particularly the implants, although they are by far the best solution).

SO, if you do end up losing the tooth, maybe you could just wait and see how you cope without it. If it doesn't bother you aesthetically, and your chewing is not too badly compromised, then you may be able to do nothing. If either, or both, of those things bother you, then you can look into your options.

HTHs hun, and get off to the dentist quick smart! The sooner you get there, the better chance they have of saving it

OK I have been in the dental game for about 12 years now.. Im a bit confused however..... You can go to the dentist while pregnant - the anaesthetics are perfectly safe and if they have to take xrays most dentists have digital xray now and that too is safe as the exposure is only for roughly .1 of a seconds worth!

IF the tooth has been filled before it was probably in another area of the tooth, there are 5 surfaces of each tooth which we have to look after.

My big question is though - what sort of pain are you getting??? sensitive to hot/cold/ sweet/when you bite/constant pain/ throbbing??

There are a heap of options for replacing teeth too.
    Last edited by cindyb; February 4th, 2008 at 08:48 PM.

It sounds like it's a premolar Cindy, but I'm not sure which one.......

Hi ladies,

Ashlea, I had alot of pain when my wisdom teeth came through, they grew for years and I got earaches and headaches. But they are through now and I don't get pain any more, but the dentist said they are at a funny angle. I bite my cheeks sometimes with them, but it's not that bad I would get them out, iykwim?? I'm just a wuss

The tooth in question is the second one after my canine tooth on the bottom, what I assume would be a pre molar, the second one. (I'm not a dentist!)

Sez, I really would rather not lose the tooth. And I don't really want a denture either. You can't see it but for chewing and just me knowing it's not there, I want to retain the tooth. I would rather either RCT if I can afford it somehow, or to get it out and have an implant put in. Ideally I will be able to get away with another filling and all will be well !!

Cindy, the pain I get is hot/cold, but I do have sensitive teeth, though not usually so bad. Sweet foods also hurt, and the pain is now becoming constant, though not really bad. Most of the time I can cope with it, but at times it is giving me a headache/earache. I think I am playing with it with my tongue and not noticing .I know I shouldn't but...well it's just there!! I know now that it's ok to go to the dentist. I didn't realise it before. I never asked, but just assumed I couldn't. I also have a bit of a fear of the dentist, so it was a good excuse.

Thanks for the info girls, I appreciate it!!

Kellie.

How did you go Kellie?

I went to the dentist. He redrilled the tooth and refilled it. He said the filling had cracked and left the root exposed. It feels better now thank goodness. He also said I will have to return for xrays after bubs is born, which I expected anyhow! Thanks for the advice I appreciate it .

Glad to hear it went fairly simply! I hope that is it for that tooth now!!!