Thread: Crying 6 month old

Default Crying 6 month old

DS has been quite sick the past few weeks (with bronchiolitis), but he is much better this week. He's on antibiotics & was quite chirpy for a few days. But the past 3 days, he's just been crying on-and-off all day! I took him to the GP yesterday - she said nothing is wrong. He will only sleep for 40 mins, then wakes up crying & won't re-settle in his cot (sometimes he will resettle in my arms - often not). While he is up, he is grizzly/crying and I end up putting him to bed after only an hour or so. He goes to sleep & the whole thing starts again. His sleep at night is bad too - 2 night feeds + getting up every hour or so to re-settle.

He is normally a great sleeper & a really happy little man. I'm going crazy (so exhausted!!) & it's so frustrating not knowing what is wrong! I'm not sure what's causing the grizzles. I thought he might be getting a cold - but GP said his throat etc looks fine. I can't see any sign of teeth coming through. He is feeding ok (in fact, I'm feeding him more frequently than usual because he's so grumpy!) & nappies are fine.

Any ideas?

hmm only think i can think of is teething or a growth spurt

morgan78 Guest

I just wanted to give you a huge my DD is like that atm. She has a cold and probably bronchilitis...seeing Dr this arvo...and yep she had grizzled and cried since 9pm last night and the only way we got any sleep was to cosleep and today so far has been hellish...she is currently sleeping in my arms wont sleep in her cot, screamed when we went for our morning walk almost non stop and cries whenever i put her down. It is so hard and i hear you on the crazy feeling. I hope you little boy gets better really quickly and if someone can look after him for you at some point today just so you can have a warm drink, shower/bath and chill out do it.

hi ezz- sorry you're going through a hard time at the moment. big hugs.
    i just wanted to ask if you had a sling like a hug a bub or something that you could try putting ds in for a while? i find when my ds is being really unsettled and whingey it works a treat.

Sometime abs can upset their tummies, so this could be causing the unsettledness. I second the suggestion of a sling. Big hugs, I am sure it will settle down soon, but in the meantime try and get some rest when you can!

I have used the HAB for a couple of day sleeps now. He will still only sleep 40mins, but at least he's settled.

Tresillian says that he is not sleeping because of the wrap - that he shouldn't be wrapped anymore because he can roll over. I don't know. He is very squirmy in the wrap - but I don't know if that is because he doesn't want to be wrapped, or because he is tired and agitated. His sleeping routines are hopeless since he's been sick - waking at all hours of the night (including 40mins after I'd gotten him to bed tonight ). We tried not wrapping him yesterday, but he was so hard to settle - ended up wrapping him at night so we could at least get some sleep (even if it was in 1-2 hour bursts).

I just want my smiley, happy, easy bubba back

Hi Ezz, just wondering how things are going now?
    My DS is 6 months old and for the last week he is exactly the same as you describe your DS and I'm not sure what it is either. He is usually a brilliant sleeper but has been waking 2 to 3 times a night and during the day when he's awake he is so grizzly and his day sleeps are almost non-existant unless we're in the car or i cuddle him to sleep!
    I'm so exhausted as well and just want my happy bubba back too, have things gotten better for you?

Yes Janine, there is hope!! My DS has made a huge turn around in the last few days. I'm so glad I went with my instincts & didn't listen to Tresillian. I just kept wrapping him & soothing him as I normally do - and last night he slept 8 hours!! I was so excited this morning! (actually I went into his room to check he was still breathing at 5am ). Such an answer to prayer Today he did a 1.5 hour sleep in the morning & afternoon, plus 20 mins in the car & a 40 min nap this evening. He's been much happier since he started sleeping more at night (or is he sleeping more because he's happier & feeling better??). Whichever, he is definitely getting back to his old self again

Awww Ezz, you've given me a bit of hope, things have turned ugly here with DS' sleep too. Nights are just awful! He has been unwell, might be teething (not sure yet, but you never are till one pops up) and I am taking ABs because I've been sick too but I just need it to end NOW!

I'm doing the same thing though, just sticking to my normal settling methods and hoping and praying it will pass...I am so tired and so over it...

I am so glad things are better for you guys, you must be sooooo happy! If my son ever sleeps for 8 hours it will be a miracle...

Thanks Willow - yeah we were pretty excited! Keep it up with your normal settling - I'm really glad that we did (and wish I hadn't doubted myself when the Tresillian nurses shook my confidence). I hope you feel better soon too

Hi Ezz, thanks for your reply. I am happy to report that things are slowly starting to get back to normal with us too, thank goodness. Jake is currently having a sleep for me, woohoo! The girls at mothers group the other day said that 6 months is a very significant wonder week and it looks like they were right! Glad to hear all is getting back to normal for you too!

Actually, this morning I noticed that DS has just cut another tooth . I couldn't see any evidence of teeth when I looked last week & he hasn't had a temp or runny poos (which he did with the bottom teeth) - but evidently he was still teething . He's got one more to go - I can see the other one up the top just waiting there in the gum, ready to pop through!

I'm going through the same with Jack. He was whingy and crying for no apparent reason on Saturday... slight increase in temp but nothing abnormal. Saturday night was hell...he cried and cried until 2am, didn't want a bar of a boob or bottle, only wanted to be held while he grizzled. He went to sleep until 3.50am and then it started again, but I managed to bf in bed and he slept beside me and every time he started to whinge I stuck a boob in his mouth. I got about 3 hours sleep, while DH got about 5 but we were still wrecked. He was still icky until he did a poo mid afternoon yesterday and seemed to be ok after that...thankfully last night he slept through like he usually does.

I was almost going to take him to a doc....I've had a bug for about 6 weeks and am on my 2nd repeat of antibiotics to get rid of it...maybe some of that is going through in my breastmilk and affecting him?

Daycare phoned and said he was a bit whingy and clingy this morning but otherwise well.

PS...he's had a cold too.