Thread: Difficulty in getting 16 month old to sleep at night

Tenn Guest

Default Difficulty in getting 16 month old to sleep at night

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my 16 month old to bed at night. During the day he goes down for his afternoon nap at about 12.30 and i just put him in the cot and he goes to sleep himself. But at night time (he is usually ready about 7 -7.30) if i just put him in the cot he will scream and scream until i pick him up, usually falling asleep in my arms at about 10.30. Any ideas?

We went through this with my DD too when she was about 17-18months in the end we moved her bed time back a little to 8-8:30 and we toughed it out by putting her to bed (she sleeps in a big girl bed now) and just sitting on her bedroom floor where she could see us untill she fell asleep (Super Nanny style). It was tough going and very very exhausting, but sooooooooooo worth it in the end as she now sleeps better than she ever had. It took a good couple of weeks and DH and I would alternate who sit there.

Tenn Guest

Thanks Ali,
    Did your baby cry a lot? if so did you try and soothe them or just let them cry? and for how long
    thanks

She did at first but it wasn't like her normal crying it was more just noise with tears. I just reassured her by laying her back down, giving her a kiss and telling her it was bed time, and then sitting back down. Where I knew she could see me.
    The first time she cried and fussed for about 45 mins, the second time for 20 mins or so, and then after that she didnt cry she would just play around in bed for a few mins and then lay down and sleep.
    I think the most important rule we learnt was that once it was bed time, we didnt come back out of the bedroom, all the soothing and settling took place in her bedroom, so she quickly learnt that at bed time it was time for bed.
    We also introduced stories in bed at this time of the night so that we could have some quiet time in her room together before sleep, and it became a nice routine- we do teeth, nappy change, stories then sleep.
    Good luck, I know it is tough, just do what you feel comfortable doing, and make sure you are in the right head space for it before you start.