Thread: Dreading this lot of needles for DS

Default Dreading this lot of needles for DS

My DS is due for his 6 month immunisations, I have booked him in for tomorrow, and im dreading it.. The last one was hard enough, but now I think this one will be the worst cos he knows more...

Is there anything i can give him or do for him to lesson the pain?

I'd like to know of others experiences with vacines and their bubs...

With DS his 6 months were fine. He's never reacted badly to them (thank god!) so we have been very lucky.
    I got told by my SIL to give them a dose of panadol just before you leave the house to go to the docs, and then give them another dose in 4 hours. Thats all he has ever needed. :-) Plus lots of cuddles afterwards and a bottle :-)

I never gave Nina panadol beforehand, but always made sure I had some at home just in case. The 6 month needles were the better ones though. Within 2 minutes of getting it, she was sitting on my lap in the waiting room lauhing and talking to everyone. We couldn't believe that only minutes beforehand she had her needles! If you are nervous/tense about it though, it might be best for someone else to be in the room with her. Your partner, mother or someone. I've always had either my DH or mum hold my DD as I'm a wuss.
    Good luck, and I'm it'll all be fine.

I sympathize. DS just had his first yesterday and it broke my heart to hear him cry. He cried for a good 15 minutes after poor guy. I'm already dreading the next ones! I was told to give him a dose of infant Tylenol beforehand.

I fed Liam immediately after each set of needles as a way of giving him comfort, and it seems to have helped settle him afterwards. The only side effect that we seem to get from them is an extra sleepy baby who slept through the night, so I kind of like needle day....I did have panadol on hand though, just in case he needed it, although didn't end up using it.

DS's six month needles were way better than 4 months. We had a very bad reaction to 4 month ones that lasted about 2 weeks so i was just dreading them. Amazingly the only effect we had from these was he was just a little bit more sleepy. I think it was only 2 needles (I think, i had my eyes shut) and the doctor and nurse did them at the exact same time. He screamed of course but was fine after a minute or so. As Jodi said, my DS was also out in the waiting room smiling and charming everyone too and they were amazed because they had heard him scream. Good luck

Our 4 month ones were also much worse than the 6 month ones (today!!!).

He was ill for a week or so with the 4 mth ones, tired, whiny, hot etc. And he cried for a minute or so after them. Today, only a few seconds of crying, but this evening he got whiny and tired and lost his appetite again, but couldn't go to sleep poor love. Hopefully he'll pick up tomorrow.

PS these were the first ones I went to without my husband there to hold Angus, and I didn't cry!

he just had his needles and i was holding him, he was not impressed.. poor little thing was bawling it but i gave him booby and that calmed him a bit.. you'd thik they'd come up with a better way to give them the vacine instead of jabbing a thick needle in there prescious legs its so cruel

i agree the 6 month needles are way better than the 4 month ones! if you take some bubbles, or do a game like round and round the garden or something like that it will distract him for a while! :-)