Thread: Early Terrible 2's or somthing else....

Question Early Terrible 2's or somthing else....

Hi!

My DD Briley has been chucking some major tanties the last few weeks. Recently though they are starting to step up a notch and are even interrupting her sleep. These tanties are mainly when she wakes up from a sleep.

Lastnight she woke up at 1am screaming and standing in the hall just crying. When we try and walk towards her she throws her arms and legs around screaming louder. When you try and pick her up she kicks her legs and stuff.

So, i am not sure if we are entering the terrible 2's early or wether its something that is making her be in pain. I was thinking it might be her gums aching from her teeth coming through. I don't understand why she would be throwing a tantrum because of this though. Unless its irritating her. I was also thinking a middle ear infection.

Does anyone have an suggestions or advice???

TIA!

Is it only when she wakes? Do you think she could be having nightmares?

Hi Sarah,

Well i thought about that. But she does it during her day sleep aswell. And she seems fine to go back to sleep. But then wakes up about 10 mins after. Kinda like if she is in pain its coming and going IYKWIM...

hi sara, Arch has been doing the same thing, it has settled down at the moment but about 2-3 weeks ago it was constant. I ended up putting it down to either nightmares or teething or a combination of both. Its hard cause they are upset but if you try and help them they get really angry and lash out. Maybe its an age thing too?? Archie is a little bit older than Briley and he was doing the same thing at about the same age?? They can be sooo hard to work out cant they!

Is it only when waking? Cause I remember just recently reading in "the mighty toddler" about this.
    Robin Barker (the author) says "its quite common and can be frightening... The toddler wakes after sleeping an hour or more and goes into a total frenzy"
    I think with that it was more based on day sleep

She also refers in other parts to nightmares. Maybe check out the book.

Jesse's started chucking tanties too when he doesnt get his way. He'll stand there and stamp his feet. Im just wondering also, i notice you have a 3 month old.. could it be a jealousy thing at all? Maybe shes chucking these super tanties so youll treat her like the newborn? As newborns do cry until they get what they want if that makes sense? Just a though...

Darcy does this too ATM. She doesn't even really know I'm there. And cos she settles so quick once she's aware, I know it's not pain.
    I'm going with the "Night Horrors that will pass eventually" theory...