Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Words

Default First Words

Yes, I know it's ridiculously early for this, but...

DS is saying "hello" so well. Yes, sometimes it's helllouggggh or some varient on that, but he loves his "hi!" and "hello!" so much (but won't say it to anyone but me or DH, unless I film him). Even if it's not a word, it's an impressive combination of sounds!

Now I'm sure he's trying to say "I love you" or "love you". He responds to me saying "I love you" or "love, love you" with "louh guh" (OK, it sounds more like love you when he says it), and sometimes says that by himself to get me to tell him I love him and so he can have a kiss (just as Hello is for "notice me!").

Now, I wasn't expecting first words for a few more months, and tbh I was expecting Mama or Dada (he can "mum!" if he is crying for attention only, usually if I've left him to go to the loo, even MiL commented on it when she heard it in the car!), but he knows he's making these sounds and will say them over and over again, even without me parroting them back to him (he loves to say "hello" to the TV in the morning after I've changed him into his day clothes, even though it's turned off). He gets frustrated if he can only manage "hull"/"hell" or "loh", not putting them together.

Is he super-advanced or am I just making it up? (I still think he's advanced anyway for being able to make these sound combinations, he's never not "talked" to me, even from day one he was able to "ah!" and "eh!", so I find those silent, or normal, babies a bit strange!)

Jesse use to say what we thought was "Good". We'd say to him have you been a good boy and he'd say "ggggggoooooodddd".. that was at about 2 or 3 months... and thats all hes says still.. lol

paradise lost Guest

Esme said Mum at about 7 months, her first "real" word was....chops. We call her little ladychops...knew nicknames were a bad idea...lol She's 13 months now and can say baby, hello (well, no "l's" yet, so "hewoh") chops, cup, socks, daddy, and Bec (which is my real name, she's stopped calling me Mum altogether!)

H

We kept saying that Jovie would say "hello" everytime I walked into the room. And visitors witnessed it & were shocked... I think it may just be their way of greeting us and it is mimicking what we are doing, so yes I think he is saying "hello".... We have recorded Matilda saying "hello" at 5mths and have always said it was her first word.

Ryn, I don't think he's super advanced nor do I think you're making it up. I reckon some kids just start talking way earlier but because it comes out a bit different every time the establishment doesn't consider it "real talking".

Same thing goes for every other milestone. DD smiled at 2 weeks exactly, "they" would say it was wind, but I know it was a smile as her whole face lit up!

Ryn, I think that at this stage it is probably too early to tell if he's super advanced or if mummy love is "making it up" (and I mean that in the nicest possible way But don't discount that he might well be real bright - I have heard of gifted children who talk at real young ages, and I mean sentences at 4 months.

So exciting to see them learn and grow, isn't it!!!

Ryn, I wouldn't be suprised if it was a real word and that he was mimicking your sounds. My DD is a month younger than your DS and I swear that she said something similar to hello a week ago. My BIL was here and he heard it too and we both commented, it was gorgeous. I haven't put it down as first word, but I believe that she was mimicking what we were saying as I always say hello to her. Even if it's not 'real' words it's still amazing and I say that it is talking.

well, it's a word then. DH will be upset, he wanted "Dada" as the first word. As DS has been "hello"ing for a week I reckon it's a word. You don't make a random complex sound over and over unless you mean to.

My sister was super-advanced with talking, sentences from 6 months and there's not been any stopping her since! Can't wait until DS speaks more in public - I want to show him off now!

OK, here's an etiquette question - even without classing Hello as a word, he has more sounds than Niece, who is 14 months his senior (she had one word, Mama, which she now no longer uses and just grunts, or at least in public and her parents don't encourage her to say things, so she probably isn't talking at home either - MiL looks after her two days a week and has told me DS has more sounds within half an hour of us visiting, so this isn't Mummy Love talking here). Can I brag to the in-laws, or want DS to say "hello" and "love you" around them? I let DH tell them about the rolling over, as he did that 3 months earlier than Niece, but everyone ignored that when we saw them so didn't have to confront anyone.

Eleanor has been talking heaps for a few days now but she is the only one that knows what she is saying.

Ryn your niece might just be shy and that's why she doesn't talk in public or much at home. Kimberley was just the same and to hear her now you wouldn't think she was.

From around 5- 9 months babies start the universal babbling...mama, dada, bubba, nanna...sounds so gorgeous but they dont start connecting that to people until later. First words normally start around 12 months. Its gorgeous when they first start their cooings sounds though..just lovely. Enjoy it.

Jo

paradise lost Guest

There's a story (possibly a myth) about Einstein talking.

He said not one word until he was five years old. One day, the five year old genius, at the lunch table said "This soup is too hot." His parents made a huge fuss and his mother said "Albert why have you never spoken before?" and he replied "Everything was fine up until now".....

LMAO!

My DH said that is what Alex will do one day just say "can you pass the salt please"

clare076 Guest

Hoobley - LMAO, never ever heard that before about einstein.

I know Shelby started saying hi from about 6 months old, very clearly defined and at the most appropriate times. She also didn't start saying mum and dad (other than the normal babbling) until about 2 weeks ago, she preferred to start with "yummy" (we have a very food obsessed child). Both DP and I swear she called DP a d#@khead the other day, absolutely no idea where she would have picked that up from

First words at 12 months? My sister was talking in sentences... well, OK, paragraphs... maybe chapters even, by 12 months! I was just on sentences at that age though. I do hope DS will be an early talker, so much easier for him to tell me what he wants! (BTW, my sister's second word was "more!", about food, she's a foodie too; I did the more traditional Dada, then Mama.)

As for Niece, whilst I hate comparing babies, I also don't want to show off if talking is a worry for BiL and SiL. She probably just doesn't want to talk much, or need to, but I don't want to make anyone upset about it, IYKWIM? Maybe I'm being too sensitive to it, but I worried whilst pg that the in-laws were going to compare Liebling and Niece in a negative light so don't want it for Niece to be in the negative light... yes, maybe I am too sensitive!

My daughter has been saying "hello", or her version of it.."hee-ohh", since she was 2-3 months old, but noone would believe me!! Now she is 6 months she is definitely saying it, although she has a way to go before she gets it exactly right!!

Marion

Ryn, i think you are a super mummy for watching and learning and knowing ur bub so well... i believe Eden says words, even if they are her version...
    i think she syas i love you when she has a full tummy and pulls off the boob, its more a ehhh oovve uuuu, but she does it all the time, and its what i say to her as we are snuggling after a feed... i also think she does a bit of a hewwwwoooo when i pop in on her while shes playing on her back...

Tallon's not really saying 'real' words yet. He says words that only mummy understands (like wassa - for 'what's that') He said dada from very early on, but I don't think he meant it as dada for a long time. He says mum of course He makes many many sound combinations, and is learning his alphabet! LOL. So I'm not concerned about the clear talking yet. Apparently boys can talk later than girls too.

Thank goodness for signing I tell ya! He talks to me through signs a lot, and we haven't had any frustration tantrums yet.. so I definitely recommend signing for the later talkers

Seth is saying a few things, 'mummy' 'mumma' 'daddy' 'dadda' 'ta' 'up' 'down' his latest which is very cute is 'Aye-ah' which is see ya Paris will be ecstatic when he finally says her name. He babbles like nothing else but his vocab is quite limited. Paris at this age was saying quite a lot (not that I compare she couldn't walk at this stage and he's been walking for 5 months... they are all different). I have to say though, and please don't take this the wrong way but talking well at 6 months is worthy of the guinness world records. Not impossible but amazing none the less.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast