Thread: Growth spurt?

Default Growth spurt?

For the last 2-3 weeks DD has gone from having 3 bottles & 3 meals a day to 7-8 bottles & 3 meals a day..

She will just scream & scream, go to the fridge & cries out for milka (her way of saying milk). I really dont wanna be giving her this much but she acts like she hasnt ate or had milk all day.

I let her have her sippy cup all day & show it to her when she cried out for milka but she just throws it away.

Ive been told she dosnt even really need 3 bottles a day just 3 serves of Dairy??

Any suggestions?

My nurse today was (what id say was mortified) that chelsea still has 3 bottles a day!

That 3 serves of dairy and 3 meals is all she needs plus 2 snacks a day.

So:

1 cup of milk, 1 tub of adult size yoghurt and 2 pieces of cheese is her daily calcium/dairy for the day!

Chelsea refuses cows milk..only will take formula
    Chelsea hates and refuses cheese

So custard will become her new 'cheese' and 2 tubs of yoghurt will be her '1 cup of milk and 1 tub of yoghurt'.

& no formula? Gawd how do I cut her back down to 3 bottles a day let alone 1?

Chelsea used to have 4 a day (8, 12, 4, 8). But on Sunday i stopped the 4pm feed. So down to 3 a day.

So today i stopped the 12 bottle....and will not give the 4pm bottle either.

Still give the two 8 bottles tho cos there the 2 she *demands* more then any of them!

My 14 month old still has 3 bottles, plus he also might have a sippy cup of milk, plus 3 meals and a few snacks. I honestly don't care what the MCHN says. He still wants it, so I am still going to give it to him. You could try her with a bottle of water?? Then you will know if it is the comfort of the bottle or if she really wants the milk.
    Good luck.

I heard they need 600ml (or the equivalent) of milk each day? Natty drinks 200ml milk in the morning, about 100ml after each of her naps, 1 tub of yoghurt, cream cheese on toast for one meal and bite-sized pieces of cheese with another meal (usually. Sometimes this doesn't happen for one reason or another - sometimes she doesn't want to eat the straight cheese.)
    How much is Laila drinking at a time? When she has extra milk, does she eat less of her food?
    I would try to introduce the sippy cup like you would when you introduce solids - obviously when she's thirsty she wants a bottle because she knows that works for her, so a sippy cup would just be frustrating, KWIM? Maybe try it with a meal or something? And just keep offering but without pressure. Hope this is somewhat helpful, Linz - of course I'm no expert Hopefully you & Laila will work it all out soon.

Ok thanks girls..

She will have 200 mls every bottle and will still have 3 meals wih maybe a snack in between lunch & dinner.

She loves cheese & yogurt so she will have a tub of yogurt, cream cheese & vegimite on toast & a cheese stick somewhere along the day.

Everytime she is ''demanding'' a bottle I try her with her sippy cup but it dosnt work. In between her milk bottle she will drink about 2 sippy cups of water a day.

Next time she ''demands'' a bottle of milk I will try her with a bottle of water and see if it is just the bottle she wants not the milk but I have a feeling it is the milk she wants.

Maybe you need to increase her meal sizes? She may not be getting enough at the meal times, making her more hungry during the day.
    Jesse's still on 3 bottles of milk and has 3 meals. He's on cows though. But he likes it, still eats all his meals and its only milk i think. Some days he doesnt always finish the lunch time one but usually has a full bottle in the morning and at night. As long as he's getting his nutrition from his meals it honestly doesnt bother me how much milk he has.

But if you dont want her having that much, as i guess formula is different to cows, then just dont give it to her. When she demands it, doesnt mean you have to give. Give her a stick of cheese or something instead. If shes hungry she'll eat it, if not then shes just using the bottle as a comfort thing. Otherwise she'll learn how to get what she wants.. just yell and scream and youll give.

Is she really having 200mls 7-8 times a day? Crikey! That must be expensive! And with two cups of water as well she'd be weeing heaps Lucky you're using cloth
    Have you tried a straw cup? Natty has only just started with one and she likes it for the novelty value
    Other thing I'd suggest is seeing if she'll have half cows milk half formula (only if you're concerned about the expense).
    But maybe Kell is right and she needs more solids at meal times?
    Otherwise, as you've first suggested, maybe she is just having a growth spurt and she'll get through it soon... I guess you'll know in a week or so

I promise I'm not advertising, but I know the avent products are all interchangable and you can use the bottle with the sippy cup handles. Maybe try a gradual change over to a cup.

Have you also tried giving the bottle but with less milk in it?

Ok.. mmm she has now cut down to 2 bottles for the last 2 days.. I wonder if I was comfort thing cause she was teething at the same time?? Even though I dont remember her doing it when teething before but this time its molars. Giving her food when she was ''demanding'' these bottles didnt work, she would just throw the food away. If I gave her less milk she would ''demand'' more. Oh well hopefully thats over.. *sigh*

She has 3 large meals, anyone that see's her eat cant believe how much she eats.

Amy- No the cost didnt bother me, I just though she might get a belly ach thats all.

Rebecca- Yeah we use advent so im always switching tops/handles etc