Thread: Is he drinking enough??

Default Is he drinking enough??

I am seriously not going to discuss that Kane is now on organic formula just yet...

Making each bottle breaks my heart, and I'm just not ready to post about him not having my B/milk anymore...

He eats solids constantly, and loves it. But He has stopped drinking so much formula though.

Even when I cut the food back, he still wont take the bottle. He only has 3 bottles a day, and wont finish the 200ml, leaving 30-50 each time. He is on a great range of foods though.

Should I push it or let him lead?? He is 10 months now...All my other babies were still b'fed at this age, so I dont know if its enough... He is gaining weight great too....

Since no one is screaming at me to give him more formula, I guess he's doing ok!!!

Sorry, I don't have the answer! My first DS was eventually bottle fed, but I cannot for the life of me remember how much he had at Kane's age. I have such a terrible memory!

I just wanted to say that it sounds like he is doing so well. I think just go with what he is doing, if he is happy and thriving then I think you must be doing the right thing! Babies are good at telling us when they're not getting enough.

On a side note, you did such a wonderful job b'feeding Kane. I cannot fathom how you kept going with expressing for as long as you did. I know I couldn't have kept going. You really do deserve a medal! It must be so hard to have to finally let go, but you gave him the best possible start to life and now your body is busy giving life to another little one. Big hugs for you .

I'm not going to scream at you lol, but if he has a good diet then I wouldn't worry too much!
    My DD started having a lot less formula at that age and then at around 11 month she started wanting more again!

I agree with Trish - I think he'd let you know if he wanted more.

The fill-in MCHN told me that babies often drop a bottle at this age. I don't like her so I wasn't really listening unfortunately (!) about why they do it but if he's putting on weight and is happy, then I'd just follow his lead. Easier said than done I know!

Thanks guys!!

My gut feeling is he is doing great, so leave him alone, and I should trust that I guess!!!

Giving up the pumping wasn't my choice, I had to stop the meds, which I guess is why i've taken it so hard.

Hugs Jodie, you know you've done AMAZINGLY well to get this far

Babies will take different amounts at different times, and will differ from other babies in what they drink. I thought you meant that he was hardly having any formula at all, but only leaving 30ml or so is fine. DS goes through long phases of doing the same.

As usual, mummy's gut instinct is right I'm sure he's fine hun.

Jodie, everything I know about you tells me that you should trust your gut instinct. It's done pretty well for you so far.

I can imagine how you are feeling - I too was devastated when Jack self-weaned while I was pg with Tom. In your case, it must be all the harder as you have had a much tougher job to keep him on bm. But you really have done the very best you could do. Most of us find that there is not enough milk when we are pg, so truth be told, even if you weren't expressing exclusively, you might well have needed formula. I really applaud you for going 10 months with exclusive expressing. That is such an awesome achievement and you should be so, so proud.