Thread: Help - ive given my bub to much panadol

Default Help - ive given my bub to much panadol

my 10 month old woke up at 5.30 screaming (not normal) he wouldnt stop, he was rubbing his ears (teething) so i went to get some nurofen - there wasnt enough left so i got panadol... and i mixed up the dosage - i gave him 2.5 mls (nurofen dosage) instead of 1.5 - 1.8mls (panadol)He has been fine since, he is back asleep i ... Im worried i know its very dangerous i am so mad at myself...

its probably fine, but i would ring 13HEALTH and see what they say!

Or phone poisons info. I did the same thing last year with Panadol, and they actually need a fair whack to cause damage.

Hi just got off the phone with thme they say he will be fine just not to give him anything else within the next 8 hours...

Glad you rang Meg. First thing I was going to say was "Relax". The thing with panadol is that, as someone else said, it does take a very high dose or long term use to cause perm damage. It is also worth keeping in mind that medications such as panadol and neurophen are also weight based. So depending on your child's weight, you may acutally need to give more than is on the side of the box.

Hope your little man feels better soon.

MG

Hi,

I just wanted to say a friend of mine had a bottle of panadol in her nappy bag and her daughter got into it somehow and gave it to the younger sister and she drank the whole bottle! She was fine didn't even make her all that sleepy so with just having a small amount extra not really going to do much. Don't beat yourself up it was just an accident and it's not likely you would do it again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    Hi,

I just wanted to say a friend of mine had a bottle of panadol in her nappy bag and her daughter got into it somehow and gave it to the younger sister and she drank the whole bottle! She was fine didn't even make her all that sleepy so with just having a small amount extra not really going to do much. Don't beat yourself up it was just an accident and it's not likely you would do it again!
    I can second that. I drank a full bottle of childrens panadol as a toddler (mum knew the poinsons info line by heart with me...) and other than being slightly unwell and sleepy I was OK.
    Its always worth ringing to check though

Thanks Girls Hes Fine Now...

Yay! Good to hear