Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Really really REALLY bad nappy rash

Exclamation HELP! Really really REALLY bad nappy rash

Hi All,

I need some help, urgently!!!

Avaleigh has developed the WORST nappy rash that I have ever seen (not that I have seen any other nappy rashes, but you get you I mean!). Avaleigh has developed some really acidic poo over the last few days (not sure what from...) and she must have done a poo last night and it wasnt changed until this morning. So all night it was sitting against her skin And it has just been getting worse and worse as the day goes on cause she is constantly doing this acidic poo. I am changing, cleaning, lathering every one to two hours, but cause the poo doesnt smell, it could have been sitting there since the last nappy change!

So what should I do? I went to the chemist and asked for something for it and they gave me covitol. It has zinc and cod liver oil in it (smells gross!) and is thick so was told it will sit on the skin from nappy change to nappy change. BUT the rash isnt getting any better.

I was thinking of leaving the nappy off (cant now cause its bed time) but with the amount of poo Avaleigh is doing, its a little risky (and she is walking so constantly on the move!). Should I be setting my alarm to go off every 2 hours during the night for a nappy change??!! I will do anything, it is breaking my heart to see it so bad...

I am planning to visit our doctor first thing monday to find out what is going on and hopefully get something. But for now, I hope someone can help us so its not so bad tomorrow!!

Ellibam Guest

tomorrow let her go nappy free.just clean up after her(much better then having her bum get worse) is she teething(that can be why its really acidic)

Hey,

Olivia had bad nappy rash when she was new born...we went to the doctors coz it was bleeding, poor little mite. Anyway to cut a long story short, I got some hydrocortisone cream, which cleared it up almost instantly. I used it sparingly coz I wasnt too keen on using that stuff on littlies, but nothing else worked. I rubbed it in and put the barrier cream over (just dabbed that on). The barrier cream i use is the same as what you have. You can get the hydrocortisone from the chemist without prescription...its a milder form of my eczema cream.
    HTH

Melissa

Not sure if she is teething, I have checked gums and nothing is coming through, well I cant feel anything there. We never got anything like this with the first two teeth! If it is teething, how long can this go on for? Can I do something in her diet to lessen the acidicity, like give more water or more BFs??

Melissa - Thanks!! I will look in to it tomorrow when the chemist are open, would go now, but they all shut in my area a few hoiurs ago..

My DS has nappy rash as well so am following this thread with interest. He wanted to sit in the bath tonight but would cry and stand up again as he was too sore to sit on his butt. It's just heartbreaking isn' it? Doesn't actually look that bad but is obviously bothering him. I will try that cream mentioned above as well tomorrow, so thankyou.

could it be thrush?

ive used covitol and yes it stinks but ive found it to be great, if its fungal daktozin is fantastic, but the other great thing is breastmilk and a bare bum!

I was thinking thrush too.... but nappy free time tomorrow will help. If you're worried about the mess, maybe barricade your best carpets/rugs off for the day?

I too was going to ask - are you sure its not thrush? Thrush looks similar to nappy rash. For thrush try Daktozin. It's worked really well for us.

And letting her go nappy free is probably good regardless of what it is (as long as she doesn't get too cold).

yup deffinately go tot he dr, DD has had this from teething also and that was the only thing to help in the end, if it becomes fungal its tough to get rid of as the other creams feed it

How would I know if it was thrush?? Avaleigh had her 8 month check up 3 weeks ago and the CHN said that she has nappy thrush, so I went to the chemist and got daktozin and used it for 2 weeks and just stopped applying today as I thought maybe it was the daktozin that was making it so bad. Could I use the daktozin and covitol together?

AJP - how quickly did the covitol work?

I just changed Avaleigh's nappy before her last feed, which was 30 mins before the last nappy change and there was another poo hopefully that is it for the day but I will be getting up to check during the night. What could be causing all this poo?
    Last edited by Ngala; May 3rd, 2008 at 10:53 PM.

Hi Veronica

We had the same issues as you last week with Caeleb. He'd done a small poo and we hadn't realised and put him to bed. Three hours later (God, I feel like such a bad mother) we got him up and changed him and he looked like he had REALLY bad sunburn. We just used some Bepanthan, which did the trick.

A friend of mine's daughter had red raw nappy rash from anti-biotics and a nurse told her to use vaseline. She said that it worked really well and by the next morning it was almost gone.

Have you thought about ringing that hotline? I can't remember the number... someone else on here will know though...

I find the bad sunburn-looking rash to be easy to deal with, it's when the skin breaks that it becomes really difficult to get rid of.

Vaseline sounds worth a try, surely it wouldn't hurt?

Yeh it definitely looks like sunburn, thats why I dont want it getting any worse! I dont even think I have any vaseline in the house, if I do, its probably years old!

Oh I hope the nappy free day is going to work Should I be putting cream on during the nappy free day or just leave it with nothing? The cream could help with the healing..

I find the bad sunburn-looking rash to be easy to deal with, it's when the skin breaks that it becomes really difficult to get rid of.
    I never even knew nappy rash could do that!!! :O

Oh yeah, and it's heartbreaking! Made me feel like the worst mum in the world, even though I was doing everything possible. DS teething poo is seriously toxic though it would seem My MCHN didn't seem too surprised though so maybe it's not all that uncommon?

V, when she goes nappy free, I would try putting some breastmilk on the rash!

Yeh but they say that teething poo is meant to be runny - was your DS's poo running? Avaleigh's is fairly dry..

Good idea! Breastmilk is meant to be good for everything. Just checked the nappy and its clean. I am a light sleeper so i'll probably be hearing avaleigh's every move tonight. Better go to bed cause its going to be a looooooooong night. Thanks for your help everyone!!

jack gets a real bad rash almost like burns when on anti-bi I use lanisonoh (sp??) nipple cream clears it up overnight

pawpaw cream seems to work REALLY well and quickly compared to other creams which were useless and just seemed to be barrier creams (not actually helping the rash heal just stopping it getting worse).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast