Thread: HELP - Screaming 6 month old

Default HELP - Screaming 6 month old

HELP I'm going nuts!!! My gorgeous content little baby has disappeared and I'd really like him back!!!

He's just started screaming as soon as I leave the room so Iím not getting ANYTHING done and its soooo exhausting!!! Heís also fighting all of his sleeps like you wouldnít believe. I now get non stop screaming at the top of his lungs every time I try and put him down (he's always gone down without too much fuss). Even picking him up and rocking him doesnít work, he just goes stiff and keeps screaming. I donít know what to do anymore. I went out to Mothers Group today and he went to sleep in his pram without a fuss, so thatís an option but heíll only sleep in his pram for about half an hour at the most, so itís really not that much better. It really started getting to me this morning but hopefully its just a phase heís going through or something. I just hate that he is getting sooo hysterical. Makes me think that something is actually wrong. I can handle the crying but I canít handle the real hysterical screaming that heís doing lately. Its crazy!

How do I know if there really is something wrong - he just seems to be sooo up and down - happy one minute, hysterical the next - any suggestions or is this just a normal phase that he'll grow out of????

Thanks.

Kelly xx

Oh Kel, you poor love. If you remember I commented a few weeks ago that my gorgeous Izzy had disappeared and some monster had been left in her place. She was the same as how you're describing Luke - VERY clingy, would only sleep on me and just full on all day long. Unfortunately I found I just had to go with it for the couple of weeks that it lasted because nothing I did made any difference. Then one day it just changed - the monster was gone and the smiles were back. Don't worry - your happy little boy will be back with you soon (you just have to survive until then!!)

Thanks so much guys!

Caro - He got his first tooth about two weeks ago, so I'm expecting the second one any day, he was a little bit like this just before the first tooth came but nowhere near this bad!!! I guess it could be that!!!

Lulu - Thanks so much. Yeah, I do remember you saying that and am glad to hear that Izzy is now back to her beautiful self. I hope it doesn't last too much longer, it's doing my head in!!! There were tears for the first time in ages this morning and now DH doesn't think I'm coping anymore - typical!! One bad morning and he thinks I'm falling apart. That certainly doesn't help either - all I needed was a hug and for him to tell me that I'm doing a great job. Instead he comments that he's now worried about me and that I'm not coping. He actually said I should miss mother group and stay home to get some rest!!!! Not what I needed to hear and as I said above, he's sooo much better when we go out, so that actaully helps me!!!

Anyway, I just put him to sleep again and this time he only screamed for about 10 mintues, so not too bad at all. However, I knew he was really tired, so instead of going through all the drama of putting him in his cot, I rocked him in my arms until he was almost asleep and then he wasn't too bad. Im just worried about forming bad habbits, I don't want to have to rock him in my arms before every sleep and Im finding that when I do that, he only sleeps for one cycle!!!! I just don't know what else to do!!

Kelly xxx

Oh Kelly I am sending you the biggest because I know exactly what you are going through. I am going through this exact same thing with Olivia at the moment. We have now just entered our 3rd week of it and it looks like there is finally a light on the horizon (god I hope I don't jinx it by mentioning it). Olivia has been an absolutely nightmare. She refused to sleep AT ALL during the day and would scream for about 2 - 3 hours before she went to sleep at night. I couldn't put her down or be out of her eye line or the bellowing would start. I have spent 4 days at sleep school in the last two weeks. Please do not think tat you are alone in this. Luke is being very normal apparantely. I was told that this is a 6 month thing. They have finally learnt that crying/screaming brings us so they do it for that reason and not for hunger, wet or cold etc like they used to. The only thing we can do is perserve and hang in there. I know it is so hard and so much easier said than done. You get absolutely exhausted. Do whatever you need to to get through and hopefully it won't be long and your gorgeous little man will be back.
    If you need anything at all feel free to PM, email or msn me. I'm here. I have cried so much in the last three weeks I can't believe it and boy have I taken it out on DH.
    Good luck and if you find anything that works don't forget to pass on your tips.

Oh Kelly poor love I hear ya...and not what you want to hear but we're going through it again....my utmost sympathy and understanding my love.
    My favourite phrase at the moment is "this too shall pass".
    I found Darcy always got worse when I showed how stressed I was, so I started to make myself relax - or walk away for a few seconds. I couldn't believe how much she changed when I did, so maybe that's why he's better when you're out - cos you're more relaxed....
    He wants to feel safe and secure. You are doing a fab job. Husbands just don't get it and you're right that's what we need other mums for.
    As for the bad habits....have you seen many 10 years olds being rocked to sleep?

Kel, Pip's just the same. DF is useless cause he just turns the teev up louder instead of comforting the poor lad.

Thanks so much - you've all made me feel so much better (and reasonably normal). It's just so hard to know what to do!!!

We're having a much better day today and I've now decided that if he doesn't want to sleep, then why make him and if I have to rock him to sleep then so be it - I just love your comment Kim - no, I haven't seen any 10 year olds being rocked to sleep, so how bad can really be!!! LOL.

Hopefully my gorgeous, content, happy little man will be back with us soon!!!

Kelly xxx

Good on you Kelly for trusting your own instincts and doing what you know is best for you and Luke!!! Fingers crossed good Luke comes back soon and naugthy Luke disappears.

Good decision Kelly. I did the same with Izzy - just accepted she'd either have no sleeps or she would be asleep on me. Didn't get much done for those couple of weeks but I got some lovely cuddles!

Lulu is Izzy out of this phase? If she is have you had any trouble getting to re-settle back in her bed? I'm curious because I'm always so scared that Livvy will never settle in her cot again if I let her sleep on me.