Thread: Help - very clingy 9 month old

Default Help - very clingy 9 month old

My DD is 9 months old and has become really clingy for the last couple of weeks. When she is awake she needs to be next to me or crawling over the top of me the whole time. if I get up she instantly starts crying and pulls herself up on me and screams until I pick her up. I have to carry her around to do everything (even go to the toilet).

Is this just a stage? will she grow out of it soon? She is otherwise very healthy. Any suggestions on what others have done would be really appreciated.

I think it's pretty normal at this age because they realise that you are not part of them and that you can leave them. My DD was the same, she is still pretty dependant on me, but is ok to be able to just see me rather than be on top of me. My only suggestion would be to get a baby carrier as it is easier to do stuff with her in that and your hands free than having to carry her. I also used to just wait until my DD was asleep to do stuff and be with her when she was up.

My 16 month is still going through it - been a few rough months, but I think he is getting better. I went and brought a sling, so at least I could use my arms whilst carrying him around (he's 11kg) and it wasn't hurting my back as much. No real suggestions as to how to stop it, but I noticed that as soon as I started to use the sling and just pick him up whenever he wanted me to, he got a bit better and let me put him down more often.
    Sorry not much help, but I know what you are going through.

Yep i also think its just a stage.

Isaac is just now getting over it, it even got to the stage that even tho he has been at daycare since he was 5 months old he started to cry when i dropped him of, and he didn't want to be left alone ever and wanted to be rocked to sleep.

hang in their it will pass. she is just finding her own two feet to stand on and its a scary road for someone so young.

I sympathise~ I know exactly where yoyr comming from unfortuntly Izzy is 14months old (been clingy since she was born lol) and still hasnt got out of it... Hope its just a stage tho an will pass shortly! just a very long stage in my case!

Oh wow - looks like I might be doing this for a while then. Most of the time I can deal with it but sometimes it gets hard. She also seems to be at her worst when its just me around. When DH gets home she is fine to crawl around by herself.

That is the same as Izzy! she'l be a pain when we're home alone together wont let me out of her sight. but as soon as dads home shes off playing and doing her own thing! Then he goes whats your problem shes fine now! Im like aggggggghhhhhh lol!

Hope she settles for you soon

Thanks Cassie

I agree, its totally frustrating when they just don't get why you are so drained by the end of the day.

Jensen does the same thing, only he's not all day about it. I can put him on the floor and have a relax on the couch and he'll play by himself and the want to get up on me and crawl all over me. Dinner time is the worst coz he hangs onto my pants legs while I cook. Not very safe. DH comes home and he's a little angel.....

Guess its a phase. Hang in there!