Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high chair

Fraser Guest

Default high chair

Hey ladies,

We are looking at buying Charlie a high chair at the boxing day sales - we found that after we bought his pram and started using it there were a whole bunch of things we didn't like about it or didn't think about - really because we had no idea.

so, I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for high chairs or things they think are an absolute must have when you buy a high chair.

This would be super helpful! :P

Thanks everyone!

Em

We have a wooden one with a wooden tray and it has lasted us through our three, plus SIL is using it now for her baby. I brought a padded insert to sit in it and it is easy to take out and scrub clean. The rest of the high chair is easy to clean too, plus you can take the tray off and use it as a high chair kwim? and we used it at the breakfast bar when the kids were still too small for a stool.

you can get the wooden ones at ikea...

i dont know what sort of high chair i have for my stand alone one (Was given to me for Xander and still going), but i bought one of th clip onto your table ones, and am now looking at a clip onto a chair one for anneliese. Target has a pretty good range i've noticed... better than Kmart anyways!!

GL

hey em
    i have a cheap one from target, and it does its job, however i can not use it for charlotte yet (or when she starts on sloids) as it sits too high, the ones that can go back a little are great for when they are young

We have one of the high/lo chairs that yo can adjust the height of and that you can tilt the seat back a bit. This has been fantastc because even when Tori was too little to sit up properly, we could tilt it back a little and she was able to sit up at hte table with us a dinner time. I take it aroundt he house with me in the day when I am doing jobs and she sits and watches. The table is detachable, just unclips which I like better than the sort that goes over the head.
    The tray has cup holers which I think will come in handy later and there are brakes on the wheels which make it nice and safe. It is a mothers Choice brand.

Chopice magazine recently did a safety thing on high chairs...the peg perego came out on top and surprisingly the fisher price one failed the safety tests. Apparently the fisher price one can tip backwards when the seat back is reclined back to its furtherest setting with an average weight child in it, so be aware of that issue.

We were given a high chair for when Jesse's old enough and its a great one from BabyCo. It folds up really well and is great to store. We jsut bought a new cover for it and it looks brand new.
    One thing i think to look for (ive been told) is one that can be at different heights.

Fee Guest

Good thread Em. We're also about to buy a high chair and I have no idea what sort to get!

Fraser Guest

Thanks guys - it's so hard - there are so many choices and I want to get a good one - I do love my pram but if I had been able to trial it for a month or something I would probably have bought a different one.

I don't want to just buy the first high chair I see - I'm looking at the Steelcraft Messina - does anyone have this one?

I had a highchair that we bought from target on sale and it was fabulous. I can't remember the brand, it wasn't that expensive, but under the tray it had a big plastic part that went between the childs legs so that they could not slip down. We still buckled Ashlea in, but the plastic bit made it impossible for her to slip down like i have seen so many children do, even when they are strapped in.

We've got a Mothers Choice one that we got from Target I think.
    Things I would look for if buying another one -
    *Easy to clean
    *5 point harness
    *No footrest - they aren't necessary and once they reach toddler age they use it as leverage to push themselves up
    *Removable tray (preferably dishwasher safe)
    *Height adjustable - this is really coming into its own now with DD at an age where she wants to sit at the table with us so we can pull the height of the chair up and down to suit where we are eating.
    *Good wheels so you can move it around easily.
    Happy shopping!

get the most simple one their is!. When I got ours I wanted the best most expensive thick padding , wonderful this and that blah blah ...and now that Kaitlyn is "feeding " herself it is IMPOSSIBLE to clean! . I have to take the whole cover off and put it through the washing machine weekly arghhh. So something easy to clean is my suggestion!.

We have one of those cheap ones that attaches to a normal dining chair. Safety 1st I think. It's nothing fancy but it tilts back so you can use it when they're little, the tray is adjustable, it can be used as a booster seat when bub's old enough to eat at the table, and it's easily transportable. We couldn't see the sense it spending hundreds of $ on a high chair when ones like this do the job just as well and are much cheaper!

Fraser Guest

hey Caro - I've seen those wooden ones you're talking about - are they the ones that sort of angle back - I don't know why but they look dangerous to me - like if Bubby leant really far forward it would tip over - I don't know.

I've seen some mothers choice ones at Kmart that look ok - but I don't know why I think cheap is unsafe - I think I might have another look at those mothers choice ones and what else Kmart and Big W have - it doesn't seem sensible to spend heaps of money on something that you can buy a cheaper version that is equally as good if not better.

Fee Guest

I've heard the Peg Perego Prima Pappa is good. But some of them seem to have so much padding - I can just imagine all the food that must get caught in the nooks and crannies. Ew!

Another one I have heard good things about is the Ikea Antilop. Very basic and easy to clean. Not many features though. I don't think it has a 5 point harness, footrest, adjustable height etc.

I suppose what you choose is dependant on your situation. We don't have a dining table, so a seat that attaches to a chair or a table was useless to us. Our highchair was a gift, and it the Steelcraft hi-lo chair. Probably would not have picked it myself, but it really suited our needs once we started to use it. The adjustable height was so useful so we could sit Maggie at couch height.

Have to agree though, it is a PITA to clean.

mum used the plain wooden ones from ikea, it lasted through all 6 of us kids.

Fraser Guest

unfortunately we don't have an ikea in Tas - in fact we don't have any discount baby stores - it's all full price down here - so that's why I have to have my wits about me and be prepared and armed with facts to go shopping at the sales, I need to know which highchair to push the other mums out of the way for!!

Thanks ladies you have been really really helpful

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast