thread: How to discourage a 4 mth old from thumb sucking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Sep 2006
    Ipswich
    135

    My DS is also 4 months old and I would rather him suck a dummy than his thumb. So everytime I see him sucking his thumb I pop his thumb out of his mouth and pop his dummy in. I don't think it matters either way, as long as they are happy that's the main thing. Good Luck. xxoo

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Sep 2006
    On Channel Zzzzzzz
    1,037

    It isn't an issue until their adult teeth start coming through. However, with DD#1 whenever she had her fists in her mouth, we would gently push her hands down and encourage her that we don't suck our hands and then we'd give her something else to suck on. She eventually dropped the habit.
    DD#2 however sucks her thumb, mainly when she is tired so at nap time. I did try to substitute with the dummy but it actually kept her awake as it was so fun to play with plus am not a huge fan of leaving her alone with it as I have this paranoia that she'll get the teat off or something! (yes, weird I know ) So all I feel that I can do for now is replace her thumb with a teether or dummy (if she is really tired) with the same type of encouragement we gave DD#1when she is in between nap times. But it does look kinda cute though I agree!

Similar Threads

  1. Encouraging thumb sucking?
    By MantaRay in forum Comforted Sleeping - No-Cry Sleep Solutions
    : 4
    : January 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM
  2. 12 weeks and sucking Thumb
    By Mel09 in forum Baby & Toddler General Discussion
    : 13
    : December 16th, 2006, 05:45 AM
  3. How to get DS to stop sucking thumb..
    By MrsBump in forum Baby & Toddler General Discussion
    : 7
    : December 15th, 2006, 05:13 PM
  4. Thumb sucking
    By Angel in forum Baby & Toddler General Discussion
    : 4
    : October 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM