Thread: How early is to early...

Default How early is to early...

Chelsea is nearly 15 months old now and in a cot. Jasmine is 3 months and in a cradle.

However, Jas was born longer then Chelsea was and is beginning to putgrow her cradle alot faster then we thought. I guess i never took that she could be bigger at birth...

Anyhow...cos she is getting to big, Jas wont be able to stay in the cradle for much longer...and will need Chelsea's cot.

Meaning Chelsea will need to move to a big bed....im guessing with in 1-2 months maximum.

Is 16/17 months to early to move her?

Or my other option was move Jasmine to a port a cot for a little while??

Kim, I think it all depends on how well she goes to sleep, whether you need to have her "contained" as such to go to sleep!! Cause in a bed they can get out easily. Both my DD's went into a bed at about 2yrs or a bit before. My first was fine, would go to sleep no worries, my second was a nightmare, she would climb out a million times before she went to sleep!! But, if Chelsea is good, then as long as you have side rails she will be fine!! Good luck!!!

I dont think so, Laila will go into a big bed around 17 months for bubs to have her cot.

We will have to move DS to a bed when the new one comes, and he will only be 18 months (and everyone has told me to wait until he is 2 until he goes into a new bed). However, we found this really cute one from IKEA that is really close the floor, just in case he rolls out... haha.. so with the low bed and a side rail, we figure that he should be ok. He might get out and everything, but usually we still pat or rub his back until he goes to sleep, so hopefully he won't get out too often. (And hopefully he will be walking by then so if he falls out he can get back in .. haha!)

I know my sister moved number 3 into a toddler bed at 20mths

I have a friend whoise little girl is a climber and was in a big bed by 13mths also another friend moved her boy in Nov he was 16mths both are now sleeping better than they ever did

so no not too ealry but perhaps move her before you move Jas so chelsea doesn't think she is being kicked out per se

My girlfriend bought her DD a bunk bed and used the top bunk on the floor as her bed because it has the rail on it - I thought that was a great idea and when she's older they will attach the other bunk. She can still climb out but she won't fall out.

Thanks for all your help ladies.

I like the idea of moving Chelsea first.

I want to go straight for a single bed...my POV is that toddlers bed are a waste of money cos they will eventaully need a single bed anyhow..so go for that first up!

Might look around this weekend

Kim, we put Jack in a single bed with a bed rail at about 16 months (in preparation for Tom's arrival). We had no problems at all.

Good luck with the transition Kim! I think it is up to the child whether they are ready or not, I don't think age plays a huge part. I put Joel into a toddler bed when he was 23 months old. He probably could have gone in sooner, but I was a bit nervous about how he would go. I wanted a toddler bed because it is the same size as a cot (it fits a cot mattress) and is low to the floor, I felt a bit safer with an active little man in a low bed! We bought our toddler bed from eBay for $50. They usually sell for more, but I saw one listed and asked the lady if she had a buy it now price and she was happy to sell it for $50. We put him in a normal single bed a few months before Kieran arrived.

Let us know how you go!

As long as the single bed isnt too high Chelsea should be fine to get in and out.
    We have been given a single bed for DS. It's quite low to the ground as has a trundle so if he needs to he can use that to step up. Maybe thats an idea to keep in mind?
    It will be good if DS falls out once we move him too, that he is landing on something softer thn the floor.